Dharmendra Pradhan is an Indian Politician. He is a Member of the 14 Lok Sabha from the Bharatiya Janata Party. He has served as a Member of Rajya Sabha from Bihar and Madhya Pradesh. He is the son of former BJP MP Dr Debendra Pradhan.
Dharmendra Pradhan was born on Thursday, 26 June 1969 (age 54 years; as of 2023) in Talcher, Odisha. His zodiac sign is cancer. He pursued his graduation at Talcher College, Odisha. Later, he pursued his post-graduation in Anthropology at Utkal University, Bhubaneswar. Pradhan has shown leadership qualities since his college days and was elected president of the student union at Talcher College. Business Line
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Dharmendra Pradhan’s father, Dr. Debendra Pradhan, is an Indian politician and a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party and his mother, Basanta Manjari Pradhan, is a homemaker. He has an elder brother Soumendra Pradhan.
Wife & Children
Dharmendra Pradhan got married to Mridula Pradhan in 1998. They have 2 children, a son, Nishant Pradhan and a daughter, Naimisha Pradhan.
Dharmendra Pradhan belongs to the Khandayat caste and follows Hinduism.
Deendayal Nagar, Manikmara, Dharam Pur, Talcher, District-Angul, Odisha
In 1983, Dharmendra Pradhan began his political career, while he was still in college. He was an activist for the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP), an all-India student organisation affiliated with the RSS. In 1985 he was appointed as the president of the Talcher College Students’ Union. In 1995, he became the national secretary of the ABVP.
In 2002, he became the National Secretary of the BJP. Later, in 2004 he was elected to the 14 Lok Sabha from the Deogarh constituency and became a Member of the Committee on Energy and a Member of the Committee on Petitions. In 2007, he was appointed as the Member of the Standing Committee on Energy. In 2012, he was elected as a member of the Rajya Sabha from Bihar. He was on the Member Committee on Government Assurances, a Member of JPC to examine matters relating to the allocation and pricing of telecom licenses and spectrum, a Member of the Committee on Rural Development, and a Member of the Committee on Agriculture. He has also served as the election in charge in Bihar and in charge of party affairs in Karnataka, Uttarakhand, Jharkhand, and Odisha. On 7 July 2021, Prime Minister Narendra Modi reshuffled his cabinet and Dharmendra Pradhan was appointed as the Minister of Education and Skill Development and Entrepreneurship. Indian Express
Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas
In 2014, he became the Minister of State (Independent charge) of the Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas. In 2019, he was appointed second time as the Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas. During his tenure as the Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas, the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) was announced, under which deposit-free LPG cooking gas connection is provided to very poor (below poverty line) households and the connection is released in the name of an adult woman. Within 34 months of the scheme’s launch, Dharmendra Pradhan handed over the LPG connections to 7 crore households and it was marked as one of the best success stories of the Ministry of Petroleum and Gas and is considered one of the main key factors for the win of the Modi government in the 2019 elections. News Intervention
Union Minister of Steel
In 2019, he was appointed as the Minister of Steel. On 23 September 2019, he launched Ispati Irada, a collaborative branding campaign that aims to promote the appropriate usage of steel in the country and promote the role of steel in bringing strength to society. It was an initiative for Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vision of a $5 Trillion Economy by 2025. GKToday
Assets & Properties
- Cash: Rs. 52,670
- Bank Deposits: Rs. 31,16,982
- Jewellery: Rs. 6,25,000
- LIC or other insurance Policies: Rs. 14,46,888
- Bonds, Debentures and Shares in companies: Rs. 2,77,802
- Motor Vehicles: Rs. 3,10,000
- Other assets, such as values of claims/interests: Rs. 65,60,000
- Agricultural Land: Rs. 6,00,000
- Commercial Buildings: Rs. 24,00,000
Cases where convicted
- 2 charges related to Obscene acts and songs (IPC Section-294)
- 2 charges related to wrongful restraint (IPC Section-341)
- 2 charges related to Punishment (IPC Section-143)
- 2 charges related to Danger or obstruction in a public way or line of navigation (IPC Section-283)
- 2 charges related to Every member of unlawful assembly guilty of the offence committed in prosecution of common object (IPC Section-149)
- 1 charge related to criminal intimidation (IPC Section-506)
- 1 charge related to Obstructing public servants in the discharge of public functions (IPC Section-186)
- 1 charge related to Acts done by several persons in furtherance of common intention (IPC Section-34)
- 1 charge related to Intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of the peace (IPC Section-504)
- 1 charge related to Mischief by injury to a public road, bridge, river or channel (IPC Section-431)
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- He was awarded the Best Legislator Award, the Utkalmani Gopabandhu Pratibha Samman in 2002-2003.
- He was awarded the Odisha Citizens’ Award in 2013.
- Dharmendra Pradhan, along with, Ashwini Vaishnaw tested the Made in India Mobile operating System ‘BharatOS’ on 24 January 2023.
#MadeInIndia मोबाइल ऑपरेटिंग सिस्टम, ‘BharOS’ का सफल परीक्षण!
भारत में सशक्त, स्वदेशी, #आत्मनिर्भर डिजिटल इंफ़्रास्ट्रक्चर के प्रधानमंत्री @narendramodi जी के विज़न को पूरा करने की दिशा में एक महत्वपूर्ण पहल। @iitmadras @AshwiniVaishnaw @GoI_MeitY @_DigitalIndia pic.twitter.com/WGhfdnpBxR
— Dharmendra Pradhan (@dpradhanbjp) January 24, 2023
- He owns a Maruti Esteem worth Rs. 35, 000.
- He owns a Honda City worth Rs. 2, 75, 000.
- Dharmendra has been the longest-serving Minister for Petroleum and Natural Gas from 26 May 2014 to 7 July 2021.
- He is popularly known as the Ujjwala Man, as he is held responsible for the success of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana launched by the Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas.
- He led a cycle rally from the Barunei hills to the IIT Bhubaneswar campus to spread awareness and encourage people to participate in the #merimaatimeradesh campaign on 28 August 2023.
- In March 2023, Dharmendra visited many schools in Delhi with Australian Education Minister Jason Clare and Australian cricketer Adam Gilchrist.