Bilal Musharraf is a Pakistani actuary (chartered accountant) and an educationist. He is best known for being the son of Pakistan’s former Army Chief and President General Pervez Musharraf.
Bilal Musharraf was born on Tuesday, 17 October 1972 (age 49 years; as of 2021) in Pakistan. His zodiac sign is Libra. Bilal Musharraf completed his schooling in different military schools in Pakistan. He is an alumnus of Military High School, Fauji Foundation College, and Cadet College Hasan Abdal. In Class 12th, he opted for science as a subject of specialisation. In 1989, after completing his 12th, Bilal Musharraf joined the prestigious Lahore University of Engineering and Technology. In 1990, he left Lahore University and studied at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign from where, in 1994, he graduated with a degree in B.S. (Actuarial Science). In 2005, he joined Stanford University Graduate School of Business and completed his MBA from the university in 2007. In 2006, Bilal got enrolled at Stanford University where he earned his degree in MA (Education) in 2008. Bilal Musharraf’s LinkedIn
Parents & Siblings
His father, General Pervez Musharraf, is a former President of Pakistan and Army General of Pakistan. It is believed that the 1999 Kargil War was the brainchild of Pervez Musharraf. His mother’s name is Sehba Musharraf.
His younger sister’s name is Ayla Musharraf. She is an Architect and is married to Asim Raza, who is a Pakistani film director.
Wife & Children
His wife, Iram Aftab, is a banker.
The couple has a daughter together.
In 1994, Bilal Musharraf began to work with an automobile insurance company named Automobile Insurers Bureau. Till 1997, he worked there as an Actuarial Analyst. In 1997, Bilal, in the same company, was promoted to the post of a Senior
- Pervez Musharraf named Bilal after a close friend of his, who was an officer in the Pakistan Army and died during the 1971 Indo-Pakistan War.
- On 18 July 1994, while serving as the Director-General of Military Operation (DGMO), Pervez Musharraf wrote a letter to his son, advising him to perform his duties with complete honesty and integrity.
- Bilal Musharraf often attends various events and summits related to education such as the World Innovation Summit for Education (WISE).
- Salman Ahmad, the lead guitarist of the Pakistani band Junoon who is also a good friend of Bilal Musharraf, once referred to Pervez Musharraf as a dictator. Bilal did not like it, and therefore, wrote a letter to Salman, expressing his anger. CNN-News18
- Bilal Musharraf is a staunch advocate of online learning. He believes that online learning platforms will revolutionize the field of education some day. In an interview, Bilal said,
We are living in times where thanks to the Internet, and thanks to telecommunication, it is possible to make quality education universally accessible for everyone. For places where people do not have teachers, having open educational resources is better than not having a teacher but the ideal case scenario is a qualified, capable teacher who has access to technology that enables the teacher to provide personalised support. In circumstances where teachers are not available, online education provides an opportunity for self directed learning.”
- Bilal Musharraf always supports his father, but he is aversive to politics. Whenever he is asked questions related to politics, he evades the question.
- In 2005, Bilal Musharraf visited India with his grandmother, as it was his grandmother’s last wish to visit her ancestral home in New Delhi.