Vangmayi Parakala is an Indian journalist. She is the daughter of the Finance Minister of India, Nirmala Sitharaman.
Vangmayi Parakala was born on Monday, 20 May 1991 (age 32 years; as of 2023) in Madras (now Chennai), Tamil Nadu, India. Her zodiac sign is Taurus.
After completing her schooling, she enrolled at Delhi University, earning a bachelor’s and a master’s degree in arts in English Literature. After completing her B.A., she moved to the United States of America, where she enrolled at The Medill School of Journalism, Media, Integrated Marketing Communications, Northwestern University and earned a master’s degree in science in journalism; she specialised in magazine writing and photojournalism. Mint
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Family & Caste
Parents & Siblings
Her father, Parakala Prabhakar, is a politician, political economist, social worker, and television presenter who served as a communications advisor in the Government of Andhra Pradesh from 2014 to 2018. Her mother, Nirmala Sitharaman, is the Finance Minister of India. She has no siblings.
Husband & Children
Her husband, Pratik Doshi, works as an Officer-on-Special Duty (OSD) in the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) and is considered a close confidante of Narendra Modi. She got married to him on 7 June 2023 in Bengaluru, Karnataka. According to sources, their marriage ceremony was attended only by the bride and groom’s close associates and not by famous personalities. Their marriage was also attended by the seers from the Udupi Adamaru Mutt who had come to give blessings to the bride and groom. The wedding followed the Vedic rituals of Adamaru Mutt.
Vangmayi Parakala follows Hinduism.
After completing her formal education, she started working as a journalist with the national newspaper The Hindu. After working with the newspaper for some time, she joined Mint, where she works as a senior correspondent and publishes articles regarding lifestyle, arts, and technology. Her articles have also been featured in The New Indian Express, The Voice of Fashion, Literary Hub, Hindustan Times, and Pacific Standard.
- She also goes by the name Parakala Vangmayi.
- She is a hodophile (one who likes to travel a lot) and has visited many countries.
- Vangmayi Parakala passionately follows her hobby of reading.
- In 2018, Nirmala Sitharaman had a photo taken with a woman officer from the Indian Army. The photo was shared on social media, claiming that the woman was Nirmala’s daughter. However, it was later found out that this information was false and the woman officer in the photo was not Nirmala’s daughter. The Times of India
- In November 2018, she got chosen for the Out of Eden Walk and National Geographic Society’s Slow Journalism Workshop. During the workshop, she received guidance from Paul Salopek, a two-time Pulitzer Prize winner, and Arati Kumar Rao, a visual journalist.
- In December 2021, Vangmayi Parakala wrote a personal essay about the cultural trend of owning cats as pets, and it was published in a book called “Cat People” by Simon & Schuster India.