Priyanka Gandhi or Priyanka Gandhi Vadra is an Indian Politician. She is a member of the Indian National Congress (INC). She was not very active in Politics until January 2019, when she was appointed General Secretary of the All India Congress Committee (AICC) in charge of eastern Uttar Pradesh.
Priyanka Gandhi was born in Nehru-Gandhi family on 12 January 1972 (Age: 49 Years, as in 2019) in New Delhi, India. She completed her primary education from the Modern School and Convent of Jesus and Mary, New Delhi. For her higher education, she enrolled at Jesus and Mary College in the University of Delhi and completed her graduation in Psychology. In 2010, she completed her M.A. in Buddhist Studies.
She is about 5 feet 8 inch or 173 cm tall and weighs in about 65 kg or 143 lbs. Her eyes and hair colour is black.
Priyanka was born to Rajiv Gandhi and Sonia Gandhi. Her father, Rajiv Gandhi was the Prime Minister of India. Her mother, Sonia Gandhi was the President of Indian National Congress. She has one brother, Rahul Gandhi, President of the Indian National Congress.
She is the grand-daughter of the former Prime Minister of India, Mrs Indira Gandhi and Feroz Gandhi.
She is the great-grand-daughter of the first Prime minister of India, Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru.
Sanjay Gandhi was her uncle who died in an Aircraft crash in 1980 and Maneka Gandhi is her Aunt, who is a Politician of a right-wing political party, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and has been a Union Cabinet Minister for Women & Child Development in the Government of PM Narendra Modi. Varun Gandhi is her Cousin who is a politician of BJP and has been an M.P. from Sultanpur Constituency.
She married a businessman, Robert Vadra on 18 February 1997.
They have two children; a son Rehan (born in 2000) and a daughter, Miraya (born in 2002).
Though she has visited her mother’s and brother’s constituency; Raebareli and Amethi occasionally but did not remain active in politics. However, in Amethi and Raebareli, she is very popular and many times she has been called for entering politics.
In 2004, she was the manager of her mother’s campaign in the assembly election in Uttar Pradesh. In the 2007 Uttar Pradesh assembly election, she helped the Congress Party in focussing 10 seats in Amethi-Raebareli region. On 23 January 2019, she was appointed the General Secretary of Congress Party in the charge of eastern Uttar Pradesh.
- Food(s): Tunde Kebabs, Salads
- Book: Discovery of India by Jawaharlal Nehru
- Politician: Sonia Gandhi
She and her husband have a total net worth of around $2.1 billion (₹10,000 crore).
- When she was 16 or 17 years old, she delivered her first speech.
- Her grandmother, Indira Gandhi and her father, Rajiv Gandhi were the victim of Assassination.
- Priyanka and Robert Vadra were classmates. They met each other for the first time in a friend’s home where they hit it off and fell in love with each other gradually. Initially, the Gandhi family did not want Priyanka to marry Robert but soon convinced.
- In an interview with BBC in 1999, she said, “I am very clear in my mind. Politics is not a strong pull and I can do things for them without being in politics.”
- Her hobbies are Photography, Reading Hindi Books, Workouts, Meditation, etc.
- She claims herself to be a Buddhist. She follows Buddhist philosophy and practices Vipassana. Financial Express
- Her blood group is O-negative. India Today
References [ + ]