Om Birla is an Indian politician and the 17th speaker of the Lok Sabha. He has served as a Member of Parliament from the Kota South constituency.
Om Birla was born on 23 November 1962 (age: 58 years, as of 2020) in Kota, Rajasthan, India. Since childhood, he has been active in politics. In his childhood, he served as a volunteer of the Hindu Nationalist Organization, Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh. He received his education from Govt. Commerce College, Kota and Maharshi Dayanand Saraswati University, Ajmer, Rajasthan. He holds a master’s degree in Commerce.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Salt & Pepper
Family & Caste
Om Birla comes from a Vaishya (Baniya) family.
Parents & Siblings
He was born to Shrikrishna Birla and Shakuntala Devi. The information about his siblings is not available.
Wife & Children
He is married to Dr. Amita Birla, and the couple has two daughters. His elder daughter, Akansha, is a chartered accountant, and his younger daughter, Anjali, passed the civil services examination in her first attempt in 2019.
In 1987, he became the district President of Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM). In 1991, he was made the state President of Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha. In 1997, he became the National Vice-President of BJYM. In 2003, he was elected to the Rajasthan State Assembly for the first time from the Kota South constituency. He has also served as a Minister of State (MoS) for parliamentary affairs for the Rajasthan government for four years between 2004 and 2008.
In 2008, he was re-elected to the assembly from the same constituency. In 2013, he was again elected to the assembly for the third time. In 2014, he contested the Lok Sabha elections and won the election from the Kota South constituency defeating Ijyaraj Singh of the Indian National Congress who belonged to the Royal family of Kota. During his first term as a Member of Parliament, he served as a member of the Standing Committee on Energy and a member of the Committee on petitions and Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment. In 2019, he was again elected to the Lok Sabha and was made the 17th Speaker of the Lok Sabha.
- Sports: Cricket
- Politicians: Narendra Modi, Atal Bihari Vajpayee
As the Speaker of Lok Sabha, he receives Rs. 1,25,000/month + other allowances. As of 2019, his net worth is around Rs. 4.83 crores. MyNeta
- He is a close associate of Amit Shah and Narendra Modi.
- Birla has served as the vice-chairman of the National Co-operative Consumer Federation Limited.
- From June 1992 to 1995, Birla has served as the chairman of CONFED Jaipur.
- Apart from being a politician, he is also known for his humanitarian works. He initiated several welfare programs including ‘Paridhan’ which started in 2012 and aims to distribute clothes and books for the weaker section of the society. He has also started some blood donation programs. Apart from it, he also started a free meal program and medicine bank to provide medicine free of cost for the poor.