Sumalatha is an Indian politician and actress. She has acted in more than 200 films. She is the first woman Member of Parliament from Karnataka.
Sumalatha was born on Tuesday, 27 August 1963 (age 59 years; as of 2023) in Madras (now Chennai), India. Her zodiac sign is Virgo. She did her schooling at St. Joseph Convent Brodipet, Guntur, Andhra Pradesh. She was brought up in Mumbai and Andhra Pradesh.
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Weight (approx.): 65 kg
Hair Colour: Brown
Eye Colour: Black
Sumalatha was born in a Naidu family in Guntur, Andhra Pradesh
Parents & Siblings
Sumalatha’s father, V. Madan Mohan was a Film Technician and was known as the Chief of Optics, her mother, Roopa Mohan was a homemaker. Sumalatha is the fourth child of her parents among 5 children, She has two elder sisters, Renuka and Rohini, an elder brother, Rajendra Prasad and a younger sister Krishna Priya.
Husband & Children
Sumalatha got married to Kannada actor and politician Ambareesh on 8 December 1991. They have a son Abhishek. Abhishek Ambareesh is an Indian actor.
Sumalatha’s Husband Ambareesh passed away on 24 November 2018 due to cardiac arrest, just a few days before their 27th marriage anniversary.
Her son Abhishek, got married to Indian model and internet personality Aviva Bidapa in 2023.
Sumalatha was in a relationship with actor Ambareesh. They met for the first time on the sets of the Kannada film Aahuti (1985), During this time they developed a decent friendship and later in 1987, during the shooting of the Malayalam film New Delhi, they both grew closer. They were together for 3 years before tying the knot on 8 December 1991.
Sumalatha follows Hinduism.
172/A, 21st Main, 2nd Phase, J.P. Nagar, Bengaluru
Sumalatha began her acting career at the age of 15 after she won a beauty pageant in 1979. In the beginning, her only dream and ambition was to be cast along with veteran actor Kamal Hassan. She made her acting debut with the Tamil film Thisai Maariya Paravaigal (1979). She has done many Tamil films including Thazhvaram (1990), Nair Saab (1989), David David Mr David (1988), and Isabella (1988). She made her Telugu debut with the film Samajaniki Saval (1979), her Kannada debut with the film Ravichandra (1980) starring Rajkumar, and her Malayalam debut with the film Moorkhan (1980). She has worked with many veteran actors in the South film industry including Rajnikanth, Jayan, and Mohanlal. She has worked as the second heroine for Rajnikanth beside Rati Agnihotri in films like Murattu Kaalai (1980) and Kazhugu (1981). Most of her Telugu films are with veteran actor Chiranjeevi. Her off-screen friendship with the actress, Suhasini Maniratnam led to a candid scene making in the final cut of the film. This happened when she was combing her friend’s hair on the train for the journey to the sets and the director asked the cameraman to shoot the scene. She has done more than 220 films in her acting career.
Sumalatha began her political career in 2019, She announced that she would be contesting in the 2019 Indian general election in Karnataka from the Mandya constituency as an independent candidate. She was backed officially by the BJP members and unofficially by the congress members. There were no BJP candidates from the Mandya constituency to show support for her against the JDS candidate Nikhil, son of the Chief Minister, H D Kumaraswamy. She was accompanied by famous actors from the South film industry like Yash and Darshan Thoogudeepa Shrinivas when she filed the nomination papers on 20 March 2019. She won the elections with a margin of 128,876 votes and became the first Independent woman Member of parliament from Karnataka. TimesofIndia
Assets & Properties
- Cash: Rs. 12,70,363
- Bank Deposits: Rs. 1,31,88,453
- LIC or other insurance Policies: Rs.92,44,063
- Other Assets: Rs. 8,23,343
- Bonds, Debentures and Shares in Companies: Rs. 82,46,275
- Personal loans/advance given: Rs. 61,51,658
- Jewellery: Rs. 1,79,38,734
- Commercial Buildings: Rs. 41,00,000
- Residential Buildings: Rs. 17,31,91,150
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- In 1979, she won the Devar’s Best New Face Award for the Tamil film Thisai Maariya Paravaigal (1979)
- In 1987, she won the Special Jury Nandi Award for Best Actress for the Telugu film Shrutilayalu (1987)
- In 1987, She won Best Actress at Film Fans Award for the Telugu film Shrutilayalu (1987)
- In 1987, she won the Best Actress at the Kerala Film Critics Award for the Malayalam film New Delhi (1987)
- In 1987, she won Best Actress at the Lux Award for the Malayalam film New Delhi (1987)
- In 1987, she won the Film Fans Award for Best Actress for the Malayalam Film New Delhi (1987)
- In 1988, she won Best Actress at the Kerala Film Critics Award Malayalam filmIsabella (1988)
- Food: Non-veg food
- Actor: Kamal Hassan
- She was named the Best New Face after the release of her debut film.
- Sumalatha knows how to speak six different languages including Tamil, Telugu, and Kannada.
- Her hobbies include travelling, reading and listening to music.