Devendra Fadnavis is an Indian politician from the BJP. He is the 18th Chief Minister of Maharashtra who served from 2014 to 2019.
He was born on Wednesday, 22 July 2019 (age 49 years; as in 2019) in Nagpur, Maharashtra. His zodiac sign is Leo. He did his schooling from the New Indira Convent, the Saraswati Vidyala, and the Dharampeth Junior College in Nagpur, Maharashtra. In 1992, he pursued Bachelor of Laws from the Government Law College in Nagpur. He obtained his Post Graduate in Business Management and a Diploma in the Methods and Techniques of Project Management from the Dahlem School of Education in Germany.
Height (approx.): 5′ 9″
Eye Colour: Black
Hair colour: Black
Family, Caste & Wife
Devendra Fadnavis belongs to a Brahmin Family News18. His father, Gangadharrao Fadnavis was a prominent politician of Maharashtra. His mother, Sarita Fadnavis was the Director of the Vidarbha Housing Credit Society. His elder brother, Ashish Fadnavis is a businessman.
On 17 November 2005, he got married to Amruta Fadnavis, who is a Bank Manager, Social Activist, and Singer. They have a daughter together, Divija Fadnavis.
Devendra Fadnavis joined the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) in the mid-nineties. When Fadnavis was in college, he was an active member of the BJP and was affiliated with the ABVP. In 1989, he served as the Ward President of the Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM). In 1990, he contested his first municipal elections from the Ram Nagar Ward in Nagpur. He won the municipal elections, and he was appointed as the youngest Corporator of the Nagpur Municipal Corporation at the age of 22. In 1994, the BJYM appointed him as the State Vice President. In 1997, he was elected as the Mayor of Nagpur.
In 1999, Fadnavis contested the Maharashtra Assembly Elections for the first time from the Nagpur West seat and won. In 2001, he was appointed as the National Vice President of the BJYM. In 2004, he was re-elected as an MLA from the Nagpur West seat. In 2009, he was elected as an MLA from the newly formed Nagpur South West seat; following delimitation. In 2014, the BJP appointed Fadnavis as the Legislative Party Leader of Maharashtra.
In 2014, he was elected as an MLA from the Nagpur South West seat, and he was appointed as the 18th Chief Minister of Maharashtra. In 2019, he was re-elected as an MLA from the Nagpur South West seat. On 8 November 2019, he had to resign as the Chief Minister of Maharashtra when the BJP could not form the government due to a disagreement with the Shiv Sena over the seat-sharing row.
- On 2 April 2016, Fadnavis was addressing a rally in Nashik, and he said that any Indian who would not chant “Bharat Mata Ki Jai” should go to Pakistan or China. He faced a lot of backlash from a faction of society for his statement. Later, he clarified that his statement was not being portrayed the way it was intended to be and it had nothing to do with religion.
- In October 2016, his photo with a criminal went viral on social media. The criminal, Baba Bodke was accused of four murders. Eventually, his office clarified that a lady who visited his office to invite Fadnavis for an event had brought the Baba with her and Fadnavis did not even know that the Baba was a criminal.
- In February 2018, Fadnavis and his wife appeared in a music video to promote the river conversation. Where Fadnavis was lip-syncing and dancing on the song of Sonu Nigam and Amruta Fadnavis, along with the Mumbai civic commissioner Ajoy Mehta, Police Commissioner Datta Padsalgikar, and the state forest minister Sudhir Mungantiwar. The opposition criticized the video and said that a person representing the government should not be appearing in music videos. However, Fadnavis defended himself by saying that it was for a good cause and the criticism he was facing was unjustified.
- Food: Poha
- Sweet Dish: Modak and Puranpoli
- Actor: Vinod Khanna
- Actress: Rekha
- Singer: Kishore Kumar
Devendra Fadnavis owns a Mahindra XUV 500 (2012 Model)
Assets/Properties (as in 2019) MyNeta
- Cash: 17,500 INR
- Bank Deposits: 7.01 lacs INR
- Jewellery: 450 gm Gold Jewellery worth 17.40 lacs INR
- Agricultural Land: 5 lands worth 57 lacs INR
- Residential Building: 2 plots in Dharampeth, Nagpur worth 2.44 crores INR
Salary & Net Worth (as in 2019)
- Salary: 2.13 lacs INR per month (as an MLA) Economic Times
- Net worth: 8.71 crores INR MyNeta
- His father served as a member of the Maharashtra Legislative Council in Nagpur.
- His father passed away when Devendra was 17 years old.
- Nitin Gadkari calls Devendra’s father as his Guru. Devendra’s father, Gangadharrao Fadnavis had mentored Gadkari during his early years in politics.
- Devendra Fadnavis entered politics after his father’s demise.
- He is an RSS member from the Trikonni Park RSS shakha in Nagpur.
- Gopinath Munde considered Fadnavis as a young and dynamic leader, and he also brought Fadnavis into the limelight.
- On 31 October 2014, Fadnavis became the second-youngest Chief Minister of Maharashtra at the age of 44. The NCP chief, Sharad Pawar is the youngest person to take the oath as the Maharashtra CM at the age of 38, he took the oath on 18 July 1978.
References [ + ]