Kailash Kher is an Indian folk and playback singer and music composer. He has sung in many languages including Hindi, Gujarati, Nepali, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Kannada, Bengali, Odia, and Urdu.
Kailash Kher was born on Saturday, 7 July 1973 (age 50 years; as of 2023) in the Meerut city of Uttar Pradesh. His zodiac sign is Cancer.
He graduated from Delhi University through a correspondence program. Besides pursuing correspondence course, he had also enrolled for a diploma course in Urdu at the arts faculty. He took private music lessons from Gandharva Mahavidyalaya, New Delhi.
Height (approx.): 5′ 3″
Weight (approx.): 65 kg
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Wife
Kailash Kher was born into a Kashmiri Pandit Family. Kailash Kher’s father, Mehar Chand was an amateur musician. His mother’s name is Chandrakanta Kher.
He has a brother and a sister named Nutan.
Kailash got married to Sheetal Bhan in 2009.
The couple has a son named Kabir Kher.
Kailash Kher started his career by singing a jingle for Nakshatra Diamonds. After that, he sang for the radio and TV commercials of brands like Coca-Cola, Citibank, Pepsi, IPL and Honda Motor Cycles. He made his Bollywood debut as a singer with the song “Rabba Ishq Na Hove” in the movie “Andaaz (2003).” He made his debut as a music director with the film “Vaah! Life Ho Toh Aisi! (2005).” He made his debut as a lyricist with the song “Aankhiyaan Teriya Ve” from the film “Kaal.”
In 2004, he formed a band named “Kailasa” with Mumbai-based musician brothers, Paresh Kamath and Naresh Kamath.
His band’s first album, ‘Kailasa’ was an instant chartbuster.
The band has performed in more than a 1000 concerts across the globe.
- In September 2014, TOI (Times of India), one of the leading newspapers of India, published an article about Kailash Kher’s upcoming event. However, the newspaper made a mistake by mis-spelling Kailash’s name in the headline and the article. Kailash got furious and slammed the newspaper for their error.
- In 2017, when Justin Bieber was going to have his concert in India, it was speculated that Sonakshi Sinha will be performing at the opening ceremony of Justin’s concert. Kailash expressing his views on the topic said,
Choosing an actress over any other acclaimed Indian singer is not a good sign, and sends a wrong message internationally.”
The controversy took an ugly shape when prominent names like Armaan Malik, Amaal Mallik, Luv Sinha, and many more got involved. However, in the end, Sonakshi announced that she was not singing at the concert.
- In 2018, during the MeToo Campaign, Sona Mohapatra (singer), Natasha Hemarajani (journalist) & two anonymous women alleged Kailash of sexually harassing them.
- Padma Shri in 2017
- Yash Bharti Award by the Government of Uttar Pradesh in 2015
- Nepal Tourism Year Goodwill Ambassador 2011 in 2011
- Nandi Awards (by the Government of Andhra Pradesh ) for the Best Male Playback Singer for the song “Pandagala Digivachchavu” from the movie “Mirchi” in 2013
- Felicitated by the United Nations for his contribution to the ‘Millenium Development Goals.’
- Best Male Playback Singer for the song “Chand Sifarish” from the film “Fanaa” in 2007
- Best Male Playback Singer (Kannada) for the song “Ekka Raja Rani” from the movie “Jackie” in 2011
- Best Male Playback Singer (Telugu) for the song “Pandagala Digivacchavu” from the movie “Mirchi” in 2014
- Best Male Playback Singer (Kannada) for the song “Ee Janumave Ahaa” from the film “Mirchi” in 2015
- Food: Bread Pakodas, Samosa
- Film(s): Lagaan (2001), Ab Tak Chhappan (2004), Sarkar (2005)
- Actor: Aamir Khan
- Music Composer(s): Vishal-Shekhar, Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy, A. R. Rahman,
- Singer: Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
- At the age of 14, Kailash left his home in search of a Guru or an institution, to gain professional training in classical and folk music.
- Simultaneously, he started giving lessons in music to young children at a fee of Rs. 150/session. He utilised this money on his daily expenses like food, shelter, clothing, etc.
- When after months of searching for a guru or a school, Kailash could not find one, he started learning music by listening to it. He listened to musicians like Pandit Kumar Gandharv, Pandit Bhimsen Joshi, Pandit Gokulotsav Maharaj, and Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. He considers them as his real teachers.
- During his college days, he formed a choir group called ‘Swar Trishna’ along with the students of Janki Devi Memorial College, Delhi. The group won all the competitions in college festivals.
- When he found no success in the music industry, he tried his luck in handicraft export business in 1998. Unfortunately, he suffered a huge loss, which made him depressed and pushed him to the extent of committing suicide.
- He then went to Singapore and Thailand and stayed there for six months.
- Upon his return in 2001, his friends who were in the music industry recommended him to the musician, Ram Sampath, who was searching for a new voice for the jingle for Nakshatra Diamonds. The advertisement didn’t do him much favour in terms of fame but fetched him Rs. 5000.
- Kailash has a rarely raw, soulful, fresh, high-pitched and sharp voice. Unlike others, he mainly sings Ghazal, Sufi, Qawwali, folk and other devotional songs.
- In 2007, he, along with Asha Bhosle, Sonu Nigam, and Kunal Ganjawala, participated in a concert tour called “The Incredibles” in North America.
- He has judged several singing reality shows such as Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Li’l Champs, Indian Idol, and 9X Mission Ustaad, etc.
- He has sung the anthem for Swachh Bharat Abhiyan (2014-2019), the national campaign for cleaning India.
- He is known for his songs like “Teri Deewani” and “Allah Ke Bande.” “Teri Deewani” was listed as No.1 in 2009 issue of the Indian edition of Rolling Stones Magazine.
- He has introduced four bands namely, SurFira, Indie Routes, Sparsh and A R Divine.