Ali Zafar is a Pakistani singer, songwriter, model, actor, painter, and producer. He is often regarded as the ‘King of Pop of Pakistan’ and ‘Justin Timberlake of Pakistan.’
Ali Zafar was born on 18 May 1980 (age 39 years; as in 2019) in Lahore, Pakistan. His zodiac sign is Taurus.
He did his schooling from C.A.A. Public School. He completed his graduation from Government College of Lahore and has attended National College of Arts, Lahore.
Height (approx.): 5′ 10″
Weight (approx.): 75 kg
Body Measurement (approx.): Chest 42″, Waist 32″, Biceps 16″
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Hair Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Wife
He belongs to a Punjabi family. His father, Mohammad Zafarullah and his mother, Kanwal Ameen, were professors at the University of Punjab. He has two brothers named Zain and Danyal.
He was married to Ayesha Fazli on 28 July 2009. He has a son named Azaan Zafar (born in 2010) and a daughter named Alyza Zafar (born in 2015).
As An Actor
He made his acting debut with the Television show “Kollege Jeans (1999),” which was aired on PTV.
In 2010, he made his debut with the Indian film “Tere Bin Laden.”
He has acted in several films such as “Mere Brother Ki Dulhan (2011),” “London, Paris, New York (2012),” “Kill Dil (2014),” “Dear Zindagi (2016),” and many more. In 2016, he made a cameo appearance in the Pakistani film “Lahore Se Aagey.” He made his Pakistani film debut with “Teefa in Trouble” in 2018.
As A Singer
He made his debut as a singer with the song “Jugnuon Se Bhar Le Aanchal” from the film “Sharat” in 2003.
He released his first studio album “Huqa Pani” on 21 November 2003.
He became a sensation after his song ‘channo’ from the album “Huqa Pani” was released.
Ali made his singing debut in India with the movie “Tere Bin Laden (2010).” He has given his voice to various Pakistani and Indian film tracks, such as “Luv Ka The End,” “Love Mein Ghum,” “Chashme Baddoor,” “Karachi Se Lahore,” and “Ready Steady No.”
He started his career as a sketch artist at Pearl Continental Hotel in Lahore and then went to pursue his acting career. Ali owns a production house called ‘Lightingale Productions.’
He made his debut as a producer under his banner ‘Lightingale Productions’ with the film “Teefa in Trouble” in 2018.
- In 2018, Meesha Shafi accused Ali Zafar of sexually harassing her multiple times but Ali denied all the allegations of Meesha and filed a defamation suit of Rs. 1 billion against her. On the other hand, Meesha had also filed a case against Ali for sexually harassing her.
In March 2019, a district sessions judge issued an order to wrap the defamation suit against Meesha. Earlier, in March 2019, Ali had also submitted a petition against Meesha over submitting the fake affidavit in the civil court.
- During the ongoing Meesha-Zafar controversy, Ali Zafar said that Meesha wanted to become Malala (Malala Yousafzai) by targeting him. However, his remarks on Meesha ignited rage in public and people slammed him for his insensitive comments.
- After the Uri Attack in September 2016, the Indian Motion Picture Producers Association (IMPPA) advised its members to not to work with Pakistani artistes. It was the period when the trailer of ‘Dear Zindagi’ was set to be released. But due to ongoing protest against Pakistani artistes, Ali was absent from the trailer of the film.
- In 2012, after Veena Malik nude photo appeared on the cover page of FHM Magazine, Ali gave his views regarding the controversy. He said that he did not believe that those who are talented needed controversies to boost their career. Adding to the controversy, Ali said,
You have to understand that she’s (Veena) an individual and you can’t judge the entire community on the basis of one person’s behaviour. You shouldn’t even judge Pakistan through me.”
Awards, Honours & Titles
- Voted ‘Sexiest Asian Man on the Planet’ based on a poll by the British newspaper ‘Eastern Eye’ in 2013
- Artist for Peace in Pakistan International Film Festival in 2018
- Honoured as ‘Pride of Pakistan’ by United For Pakistan Independence Day in 2018
- Shaan-e-Pakistan Achievement in Music Awards for Music Icon of the Generation in 2019
Indus Music Awards
- Best Debut Artist for the album “Huqa Pani” in 2004
- Best Album for the album “Huqa Pani” in 2004
- Best Pop Artist for the album “Huqa Pani” in 2005
Lux Style Awards
- Best Album for the album “Huqa Pani” in 2004
- Youth Icon Award in 2007
- Best Album for the album “Jhoom” in 2012
- Best Original Soundtrack for the song “Zindagi Gulzar Hai” from the album “Zindagi Gulzar Hai” in 2013
- Song of the Year for the song “Rockstar” – CokeStudio8 in 2016
- Best Actor (Viewers’ choice) for the film “Teefa – Teefa in Trouble” in 2019
He lives in a 4-bedroom villa in Lahore.
- Singers: Abida Parveen, Kishore Kumar, Mehdi Hassan
- Films: Guide (1965)
- Musicians: Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, John Mayer, Radiohead
- Poets: Mirza Ghalib, Khwaja Mir Dard, Faiz Ahmad Faiz, Muhammad Iqbal
- Books: “A Case of Exploding Mangoes” by Mohammed Hanif, “Scar Tissue” by Anthony Kiedis and Larry SlomanAnthony Kiedis and Larry Sloman, “Conversations With God” by Neale Donald Walsch
Salary/ Net Worth
He takes Rs. 1-2 crores (approx.) per film. His net worth is approximately Rs. 107 crores.
He owns an Audi and a Ferrari.
- He likes to read, play cricket & video games.
- Since his childhood, he liked to do the painting. Ali made his first comic at the age of 8.
- His parents wanted him to make his career in civil services but somehow, he persuaded his parents towards his decision and his parents too supported him. Talking about it, he says-
I remember my father encouraging me to read newspapers diligently to prepare for the civil service exams, but I could never visualise myself in a government office. I wanted respect because of my achievements and not because of my post in a government job. I was a dreamer, an optimist and a romantic. I did not have a detailed plan for realising my dreams, just a lot of passion.”
- As a Child, he did not have any interest in poetry and music but eventually, as he grew up, he started developing a fondness for it.
- During his teenage, he was very introverted.
- Before becoming an established singer, he was a part of an underground rock band, which used to do covers of Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Metallica, The Eagles, and many more.
- Talking about his interest in acting and entry into Bollywood, Ali Says,
The first time I ever went to Bombay, I had a feeling that it’s all about Bollywood here, and I remember thinking, ‘I wouldn’t mind getting into that someday’, and finally I did. I grew up watching a lot of Mr [Amitabh] Bachchan’s films, and then there were films such as Guide. When I grew up a little more I started seeing Dilip Kumar’s work, and I thought it was so fantastic.”
- Ali has never taken any formal training in acting. Talking about acting, he says-
I prepared by studying reporters, watching and learning how they function. Considering that they are everywhere and around at most times, it was not really difficult. I also took a 10-day acting workshop with Barry John, along with the other actors in the film. I am an intuitive actor and have maintained a casual and natural acting style for the movie.”
- After his Bollywood debut in 2010 with the film “Tere Bin Laden,” he received around 40 offers for films. Even though his film was a huge success in India, it was banned in Pakistan.
- He met his wife, Ayesha, for the first time at the lobby of the hotel where he used to work as a sketch artist.
- His song ‘Dekha’ was featured in the Hollywood film “Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps (2010),” which made him the fourth artist after Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Strings and Atif Aslam to have a song featured in the Hollywood movies.
- In 2008, he and his wife Ayesha were kidnapped at a gunpoint when they went out for dinner. The couple were released after Ali’s family paid a ransom of PKR 2.5 million to the kidnappers.
- He is a distant relative of Aamir Khan. His father-in-law has a cousin whose mother is the cousin of Aamir Khan’s mother, Zeenat Hussain.
- He has not done any intimate scene on-screen yet. Even the kissing scene with Aditi Rao Hydari, in the film “London Paris New York (2012)” was done by his body double.
- He was the first choice for the role of ‘Sarmad’ in the 2007 film “Khuda Kay Liye,” but he rejected it due to some personal reasons and the role went to Fawad Khan.
- He is the first Pakistani actor to get nominated for any Bollywood Award.
- He used to be a homophobic (a person having a strong dislike of homosexual people). But, after getting educated about it, he started respecting everyone’s sexual orientation.
- He is known for his punctuality, professionalism, and discipline in the film industry.
- He has endorsed various brands such as Pepsi, Sony Ericsson, LG, Lux, Head & Shoulders, etc.