Siddharth Roy Kapur is an Indian film producer. He is the founder and MD of Roy Kapur Films and the President of Film and Television Producers Guild of India. He is the husband of Bollywood actress, Vidya Balan.
Siddharth Roy Kapur was born on Friday, 2 August 1975 (age 45 years; as in 2020) in Bombay (now, Mumbai). His zodiac sign is Leo. He did his schooling from Mumbai’s G.D. Somani Memorial School and went to Sydenham College to pursue B.Com. He was good at studies in his school days, and he was the Head Boy of his school. While in college, Siddharth headed the Dramatics Society and edited the annual college magazine. In his college days, he did a summer internship with Ronnie Screwvala’s UTV. After completing his graduation, Kapur did a Masters in Management Studies from Mumbai’s Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies (JBIMS).
Height (approx.): 5′ 10″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Brown
Family & Caste
Parents & Siblings
His father’s name is Kumud Roy Kapur. His mother, Salome Roy Kapur is a former Miss India and a choreographer. He has two younger brothers, Aditya Roy Kapur (actor), and Kunaal Roy Kapur (actor and director).
Wife & Relationships
Siddharth was married to his childhood friend, Aarti Bajaj, but their marriage could not last long. He, then, tied the knot with the television producer, Kavita. However, the duo got divorced in 2011. Siddharth got married to Bollywood actress, Vidya Balan, on 14 December 2012.
Siddharth’s paternal grandfather, Raghupat Roy Kapur was a film producer. His maternal grandfather, Sam, and grandmother, Ruby Aaron, were teachers of Ball Room and Latin American dance forms in India.
Siddharth Roy Kapur started his career as a Brand Manager with the Procter & Gamble Company in Mumbai. He, then, joined the strategic planning division of Star TV. Subsequently, he moved to Hong Kong for Newscorp Executive Development Program of Star TV. Thereafter, he moved to Mumbai and worked on the marketing of the game reality show “Kaun Banega Crorepati.” He, then, worked as a Regional Marketing Manager for the network. In 2002, he again moved to Hong Kong and was promoted to Vice President after an year. He was the youngest Vice President of Star TV at that time. At the Hong Kong headquarters, Kapur led the Central Marketing & Creative Services team.
In 2005, he was offered to join UTV as a Senior Vice President, Marketing & Communications, which he readily accepted. While working at UTV, Siddharth led the marketing panel of various films, including “Rang De Basanti,” and “Khosla Ka Ghosla.”
In January 2008, Kapur took over as the CEO of UTV Motion Pictures. He was responsible for all aspects of Developement, Production, Marketing, Distribution, and Syndication. Under his leadership, he produced some of the most successful films of the decade, including “Taare Zameen Par,” “Jodhaa Akbar,” “Fashion,” “Paan Singh Tomar,” “Kai Po Che,” “The Lunchbox,” and “Chennai Express.” In 2014, he was promoted to Managing Director of Disney India.
In 2017, Siddharth resigned from Disney and set up his own production house, “Roy Kapur Films.” His production’s first film was “The Sky Is Pink.” He has also produced Netflix’s series “Yeh Ballet.”
- Filmfare Award for Best Film for the film, “Jodha Akbar” (2009)
- Screen Award for Best Film for the film, “Jodha Akbar” (2009)
- IIFA Award for Best Film for the film, “Jodha Akbar” (2009)
- National Film Award for Best Children’s Film for the film, “Chillar Party” (2012)
- National Film Award for Best Feature Film for the film, “Paan Singh Tomar” (2013)
- Filmfare Award, BIG Star Entertainment Award, Zee Cine Award, Stardust Award & IIFA Award for the film, “Barfi” (2013)
- Screen Award for Best Film for the film, “Paan Singh Tomar” (2013)
- Society Young Achievers Awards 2013 in the Business category (2013)
- The Economic Times – Spencer Stuart ’40 under Forty’ India’s Hottest Business Leaders Award (2014)
- Filmfare Award for Best Film for the film, “Dangal” (2017)
- Actress: Priyanka Chopra
- Colour: Black
- Travel Destination: London
- His hobbies include reading, travelling, and watching films.
- As a child, Siddharth was obssessed with films. He shared in an interview that his grandparents lived near the Strand Cinema in Mumbai, and he used to urge his grandparents and mother to watch films. He also shared that he often forced his parents to buy tickets in black for him.
- In 1994, Siddharth did an internship under Ronnie Screwvala in a small production house in a basement in Worli, Mumbai. During that period, he used to earn Rs. 2000 for a month.
- Siddharth met Vidya Balan for the first time during a Filmfare Award Function. It was filmmaker, Karan Johar, who introduced the two.
- Kapur has featured on Variety’s #Variety500Global list of the most influential persons in global entertainment for three consecutive years (2018-2020).
- He has also featured on The Economic Times Top 40 Indian Business Leaders Under 40 years of age.
- Siddharth shares a great bond with the film director, Shonali Bose.