Anand Chitragupth is an Indian music composer who gained fame as a part of the renowned duo film music composer Anand-Milind. He is also known for being the son of music composer Chitragupth.
Anand Chitragupth also known by the name Anand Srivastava was born on Friday, 21 December 1956 (age 66 years; as of 2022) in Mumbai, Maharashtra. His zodiac sign is Sagittarius. During his childhood, when he would read film magazines, their father would encourage him to read science magazines. Anand and his brother Milind excelled academically and were the toppers in their school. At the age of 23, he entered the industry following his father’s illness, during which he was bedridden for a duration of 18 months. Once his father regained his health and returned to work, Anand began assisting him. During this period, he collaborated with Kishore Kumar on numerous songs. In order to support his father, he also took up work in documentaries with Marathi directors and played the guitar in programs alongside Anoop Jalota.
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Anand’s father’s name is Chitragupt, who was a famous composer.
His mother’s name is Krishna.
He has a younger brother Milind Chitragupth, who is also a music composer and is a part of the duo film music composer Anand-Milind.
Wife & Children
The name of his wife is not known. He has a daughter Gauri Anand.
He follows Hinduism.
He made his debut as a music director with the songs in the film Ab Ayega Mazaa in 1984.
In 1986, he composed the songs for the films Andaz Pyaar Ka, Peechha Karro, Maa Beti and Tan-Badan. In 1988, he worked as a music composer for the films Zanjeer, Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak, Shiva Shakti, and Khoon Bahaa Ganga Mein. He composed three popular hits in 1989 including Anjaane Rishte, Rakhwala, and Abhi To Main Jawaan Hoon.
In 1990, he composed songs for the films Zahreelay, Taqdeer Ka Tamasha, Maha-Sangram, Jungle Love, and Bandh Darwaza. He gave some popular hits in 1991 for films including Saugandh, Kurbaan, Dastoor, Love, and Trinetra. In 1992, he composed songs for the films Mere Sajana Saath Nibhana, Vansh, Pyar Hua Badnaam, Bulbul and Ghazab Tamasha. In 1993, he gave some hits for the films Game, Chingari Aur Sholay, Lootere, Kayda Kanoon, and Hasti. He composed music for the Bangladeshi film Keyamot Theke Keyamot (1993). In 1994, he worked as a music composer for the films Sangam Ho Ke Rahega, Ab To Aaja Saajan Mere, Madhosh, Zamane Se Kya Darna, and Pehla Pehla Pyar.
He was a music composer for films in 1995 including Meri Mohabbat Mera Naseeba, Jai Vikraanta, Jallaad, Hum Dono, and Coolie No. 1. In 1996, he composed songs for the films Vijeta, Himmat, Army, Loafer, and Mafia. In 1997, he was a music composer for the films Hero No. 1, Banarasi Babu, Mrityudaata, The Death Sentence: Mrityu Dand, and Yeshwant. He composed music for the films Jhooth Bole Kauwa Kaate, Pardesi Babu, Dulhe Raja, Aunty No. 1, and Chandaal. In 1999, he composed songs for the films Hogi Pyaar Ki Jeet, Dillagi, Sanyasi Mera Naam, Kaala Samrajya, and Gair. In 2000, he composed songs for the film Chal Mere Bhai.
In 2002, he composed songs for the films Jaani Dushman: Ek Anokhi Kahani, Akhiyon Se Goli Maare, Yeh Teraa Ghar Yeh Meraa Ghar, and Chhupa Rustam: A Musical Thriller. He composed songs for the films Miss India: The Mystery, Idhi Maa Ashokgaadi Love Story, and Gupta vs Gordon in 2003. In 2005, he composed songs for the films Khullam Khulla Pyaar Karen, Mastaani, and Naam Gum Jaayega. In 2006, he was a music composer for the films Dhadkanein and Jaana… Let’s Fall in Love. In 2012, he composed songs for the film Yeh Khula Aasmaan.
In 2014, he worked as a music composer for the film Dil Bhi Khaali Jeb Bhi Khaali. As an Anand-Milind duo, they produced songs for the films Rakhwala (1989), Zahreelay (1990), Beta (1992), Coolie No. 1 (1995), Mrityudaata (1997), Krodh (2000), Inteqam: The Perfect Game (2004), and Souten: The Other Woman (2006).
In 1988, he made his debut as a music director with the songs in the film Woh Phir Aayegi.
In 2001, he worked as a music director for the films Yeh Teraa Ghar Yeh Meraa Ghar and Chhupa Rustam: A Musical Thriller. As an individual, he has worked as a music director for the films Jwalamukhi (2000) and Roshni (2002).
In 1990, he was a playback singer for the film Baaghi: A Rebel for Love.
- 1989: Filmfare Award for Best Music for the song Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak and shared it with Milind Chitragupth
- 2022: Lata Mangeshkar Award
- According to Anand, there are occasions when he and his brother engaged in disagreements while composing music. However, they resolved these differences by discussing the tune at home and presenting it to the producer the following day.
- In his debut film “Ab Ayega Mazaa” (1984), he had the opportunity to sing a song with Lata Mangeshkar.
- In 2007, after a gap of six years, lyricist Sameer and music composers Anand and Milind, who had previously collaborated on numerous popular tracks, reunited. It was reported that they had faced conflicts in the past, which led to them stopping their collaboration. By 2001, they had already composed over 950 songs together. In 2007, they decided to work on a Bhojpuri film titled “Sajan Sangh Laagi Laganiya Re.” Their differences were resolved at Sameer’s book release event, where he acknowledged the duo. Milind mentioned in an interview that he reached out to Sameer after the book release and suggested that they work together again, aiming to add another 50 songs to their existing repertoire of 950. He also denied any conflicts and explained that their lack of collaboration was due to their busy schedules and independent projects.
- In an interview, Milind, Anand’s brother, mentioned that after the year 2000, movies started featuring multiple composers in a single film, and they decided not to be a part of it. Out of the 250 films they had composed music for, they worked on 150 projects independently, including providing background music. Milind also explained that their reduced output of songs after 2000 was partly because filmmakers like Harmesh Malhotra and Vimal Kumar, with whom they had collaborated, stopped making films.
- In an interview, Anand stated that throughout their career, they have produced approximately 1600 songs. Out of them, only around seven or eight, were accused of plagiarism. In his explanation, he mentioned that in some cases, they were compelled by the producer and director to copy a specific tune or melody that they liked.
- The duo of Anand-Milind received several nominations for prestigious awards. They were nominated for the Filmfare Award in 1991 for the film Dil, in the category of Best Music. Additionally, they were set in the same category for the film Baaghi: A Rebel for Love. In 1993, they earned a nomination for the Filmfare Award for Best Music Direction for the film Beta.
- In 2023, the duo Anand-Milind made an appearance on The Kapil Sharma Show. They were joined by popular singers such as Udit Narayan and Sameer Anjan.
- In June 2023, the music video of the song “Sapne Jo Dekhe,” featuring lyrics by Sameer, music composed by Anand-Milind, and vocals by Alka Yagnik and Makarand Patankar, crossed 1 million views. To celebrate this achievement, they organized a grand success party at the Country Club in Mumbai’s Andheri area.
- In an interview, Alka Yagnik talked about the time she met Anand and Milind and said,
In those days, Anand-Milind used to be his (Chitragupt ji) assistants. They anyway don’t talk much and during those days, they hardly spoke. They would silently walk around and work and I used to wonder who they are. It is then that I realized that they are Chitragupt ji’s sons and work as his assistants.”
- During an interview, he mentioned that he has relatives with notable positions in various fields. One of his cousins was the head of RAW (Research and Analysis Wing), India’s external intelligence agency. Another cousin works in the income tax department. Also, his father’s elder brother was a renowned journalist associated with the Indian Nation in Patna.