Harshdeep Kaur is an Indian singer known for her Bollywood, Punjabi and Sufi songs. She became an overnight singing sensation in 2008 after she won the singing competition Junoon – Kuchh Kar Dikhaane Ka on NDTV Imagine. Let’s dig out some of the interesting facts about Harshdeep Kaur, her journey as a singer and much more.
The Saggitarian singer was born on 16 December 1986 (age 32; as in 2018) in Delhi, India. She hails from a family with a musical background; as her father used to make musical instruments and is known to be a fine guitarist. When she was 4 years old, her father first noticed her singing talent when he saw her humming while watching a movie song. She started singing at the age of 5 and grew a passion for Punjabi and Sufi music.
At the age of 6, she started learning Indian classical music classes from Tejpal Singh, and Western music classes from George Pullinkala.
When she turned 12, she became a part of the Delhi School Of Music, where she learned to play the piano. And when she turned 16, she contested in MTV Video Gaga Contest, where she was adjudged the winner out of 10,000 contestants.
Her singing talent was first noticed by the music lovers when she sang the devotional song “Ik Onkar” for the film Rang De Basanti (2006).
In 2008, she took part in the singing reality show Junoon – Kuchh Kar Dikhaane Ka on NDTV Imagine and competed from the Sufi Ke Sultan team under the mentorship of Ustad Rahat Fateh Ali Khan. She was crowned the winner of the competition, where Amitabh Bachchan and Abhishek Bachchan were guests at the grand finale. Winning the singing competition opened Bollywood’s doors for her.
Harshdeep Kaur is around 5′ 4″ tall and weighs around 60 kg.
Family & Husband
Harshdeep Kaur hails from a middle-class Sikh family with a musical background. Her father, Savinder Singh, owns a factory of musical instruments, whereas, her mother is a homemaker. She has a sister named Simran Kaur Bal.
On 20 March 2015, she got married to her childhood friend Mankeet Singh in Mumbai.
Her husband works for the IT company – Tata Consultancy Services (TCS).
Aspiring to become a musician since childhood, she began her music activities while doing her schooling from New Era Public School and Springdales School in Delhi. She did her graduation from SNDT University in Mumbai. Press Reader During her teenage, she made her debut in the music industry with the album Romantica (2002), and a year later, she marked her debut in Bollywood with the song “Sajna Main Haari” from the film Aapko Pehle Bhi Kahin Dekha Hai (2003).
The year 2008 proved to be a milestone in her music career; as she went to win the reality show Junoon – Kuchh Kar Dikhaane Ka on NDTV Imagine, which opened up many opportunities for her in Bollywood. Over the years, she has made her mark in Bollywood with the songs like “Katiya Karoon” from Rockstar (2011), “Heer” from Jab Tak Hai Jaan (2012), “Dilbaro” from Raazi (2018), “Chonch Ladiyan” from Manmarziyaan (2018).
Awards & Recognitions
- The MTV Video GaGa Contest in 2001.
- The musical reality show Junoon – Kuchh Kar Dikhaane Ka on NDTV Imagine in 2008.
- The musical reality show Aao Jhoomein Gaayein on SAB TV.
- The musical reality show SAREGAMA Punjabi on Alpha TV.
- The Mirchi Music Award and PTC Film Award for the Best Playback Singer for “Lori” from the film Punjab (1984).
- The Mirchi Top 20 Gold Disc Award for “Zaalima” from the film Raees (2017).
- Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Abida Parveen, Jagjit Singh and Reshma are her all times favourites. TOI And, among the contemporary singers, she likes Arijit Singh, Ash King, Sunidhi Chauhan, Richa Sharma and Neeti Mohan. Press Reader
- She admires the work of A. R. Rahman and Mithoon Sharma. TOI
- Because of spiritual reasons, she adorns a turban; which has been her style statement.
- People often compare her voice and singing style with the Pakistani singer Reshma who sang “Lambi Judaai” in the film Hero (1983).
- She is an avid animal lover.
- Whenever she gets time, she loves to travel.
— HT Entertainment (@htshowbiz) November 13, 2018
References [ + ]