Vivek Oberoi is an Indian actor, businessman, and a philanthropist. He works predominantly in the Bollywood and is best known for his role of “Kaal” in the film, ‘Krrish 3.’ Let’s find out some interesting facts about Vivek Oberoi.
Vivek Oberoi was born on 3 September 1976 (age 42 years; as in 2018) in Hyderabad, India. He was born as Vivek Anand after the Hindu Monk Swami Vivekananda. He shortened his name to Vivek when he joined movies, as he believed that romancing and dancing onscreen with that name would be an insult to the monk. He did his schooling from Hyderabad Public School, Hyderabad and went on to Mayo College, Ajmer, Rajasthan to complete his further education. Vivek was a great athlete during his school days. He used to participate in all kinds of sports like hockey, table-tennis, cricket, and football. He was even a part of his school’s hockey team and played at state and national level.
After completing his education, Vivek moved to London to attend an acting workshop. He was spotted by the Director of New York University who took Vivek to New York. Vivek did his Masters in Acting from New York University.
Oberoi worked as a scriptwriter before becoming an actor.
Height: 5′ 10″
Weight: 80 kg
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Hair Colour: Black
Body Measurements: Chest 42”, Waist 34”, Biceps 14”
Family, Caste & Wife
Vivek belongs to a Hindu Khatri Family. He is the son of Suresh Oberoi, a veteran supporting actor and Yashodhara Oberoi. His sister, Meghna Oberoi, is a singer and painter. His father is a Punjabi and mother also belongs to a Punjabi Business Family.
Vivek was in a relationship with Gurpreet Gill in 2000. The couple was rumoured to be engaged but, later, they decided to split as Vivek was busy with his Bollywood career.
Vivek married Priyanka Alva, daughter of Karnataka Minister, Jeevaraj Alva, on 29 October 2010. The couple has a son, Vivaan, who is 5-year-old (as in 2018) and a daughter, Ameyaa, who is 3-year-old(as in 2018).
Vivek made his debut in Bollywood with Ram Gopal Varma’s “Company.” The movie earned him Filmfare Award for the Best Debut as well as the Best Supporting Actor. He was paid ₹3 lakh for the film. Next, he starred in action films, Road and Dum.
In 2002, Vivek appeared in Saathiya opposite Rani Mukerji. The film was a hit at the box office and his performance was praised by the audience and critics alike. He, then, went on to star in movies like Masti, Yuva, Shootout at Lokhandwala, and Mission Istanbul.
In 2013, he played the evil genius, “Kaal,” in the superhero film, “Krrish 3.” His performance in the film was very much appreciated. Vivek has also appeared as a Judge in the first season of the TV reality show, India’s Best Dramebaaz.
In 2019, he bagged the role of Narendra Modi in the biopic, PM Narendra Modi.
Apart from acting, Vivek is also a philanthropist. In 2006, he received the Red and White Bravery Award for adopting and re-building a village in Cuddalore district, Tamil Nadu, which was severely destroyed by the 2004 tsunami. He along with his family has founded ‘Yashodhara Oberoi Foundation’ to provide aid to the poor. Vivek also runs an NPO called the “One Foundation” whose motive is to focus on matters like running schools, providing free food, rescuing girls from child prostitution, healthcare, education, and empowerment of girls.
In 2004, Oberoi founded ‘Karrm Infracture Pvt Ltd,’ a real estate company that provides low-budget housing solutions.
- In 2003, Vivek called a press conference at his residence and accused Salman Khan of calling him ’41 times’ during a single night and threatening him to death due to Vivek’s close relations with Aishwarya Rai.
- In 2008, Vivek went to a friend’s party, where he misbehaved with his friend’s girlfriend and allegedly kissed her. In turn, he was slapped and insulted by the girl in front of all the attendees.
- Filmfare Best Debut Award for Company (2002)
- Filmfare Best Supporting Actor Award for Company (2002)
- IIFA Green Global Award (2010)
Vivek owns a Mercedes-Benz-GLS and a Ducati 1098.
With a net worth of $14 Million, Vivek charges ₹3-4 crore per film.
- Hobbies: cooking, boxing
- Book: The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
- Food: Apple Pie, Rasmalai, Payasam, Gulab Jamun, Sonpapdi
- Movies: Chalti Ka Naam Gaadi, Company, Beta, Raja, Tezaab, The Godfather, Roman Holiday
- Restaurants: Peshawri, Royal China, Indigo, Don Giovanni in Mumbai
- Colour: brown.
- Cricketer: Sachin Tendulkar
- Travel Destination: France and Istanbul
- Director: Ram Gopal Varma
- Vivek resides at #5, Kartar Kunj, Golden Beach Raja Park, Juhu, Mumbai.
- His family and friends fondly call him Rockstar.
- Vivek doesn’t consume alcohol, tea or coffee at all.
- Vivek was earlier a non-vegetarian, but he got inspired by Kareena Kapoor to adopt a vegetarian diet.