Smita Jayakar was born on Sunday, 19 August 1956 (age 67 years; as of 2023) in Mumbai. Her zodiac sign is Leo. After she completed her schooling, she went on to attain a law degree. Later, she pursued her acting career post-marriage.
Height (approx.): 5′ 3″
Weight (approx.): 60kg
Hair Colour: Salt & pepper
Eye Colour: Black
Smita Jayakar belongs to a conservative family settled in Mumbai.
Parents & Siblings
Smita has a brother. There is not much information about her parents.
Husband & Children
At the age of 20, Smita got married to Advocate Mohan Jayakar, the son of a regarded Marathi barrister, Barr Jayakar. The couple has a son, Sid Jayakar, a special effect visual artist, and a daughter, Masumah Jayakar.
She follows Hinduism.
Smita Jayakar began her acting career after her marriage. She often played the roles of a supporting actor and gained popularity for her roles as a mother.
Smita Jayakar appeared on the big screen in the debut film ‘Dil Ka Doctor’ (1995) in the role of ‘Komal’.
She played the role of ‘Padma’ (Paddy) in the Bollywood blockbuster ‘Pardes’ (1997). Smita appeared in the role of Aamir Khan‘s (Ajay) mother in the film ‘Sarfarosh’ (1999), followed by ‘Hamara Dil Aapke Pass Hai’ (2000) in which she played the role of Anil Kapoor‘s (Avinash) mother, ‘Rehnaa Hai Terre Dil Mein’ (2001) in which she played the role of Dia Mirza‘s (Reena) mother, ‘Devdas (2002) in which she played the role of ‘Kaushalya,’
‘Vaah! Life Ho Toh Aisi!’ (2003) in which she appeared as Amrita Rao‘s (Piya) mother, ‘Baabul’ (2006), played the role of ‘Suman,’ ‘Ajab Prem Ki Gajab Kahani’ (2009), played the role of Ranbir Kapoor‘s (Prem) mother, ‘Thank You’ (2011) in which she played the role of Sonam Kapoor‘s (Sanjana) mother, ‘Akira’ (2016) in which she played the role of Sonakshi Sinha‘s (Akira) mother and much more. In 2022, Smita Jayakar appeared in the Gujarati movies ‘Petipack’ in the role of ‘Dadi’ and ‘Adko Dadko’ played the role of ‘HansaBen.’
Reportedly, Smita is working with Ashvin Gidwani Productions for a theatrical adaptation of Devdas in 2023.
In 1988, Smita Jayakar made her television debut in the serial ‘Aahvaan’ playing the role of ‘Uma.’ She played the role of ‘Ramila’ in the serial ‘Kabhi Yeh Kabhi Woh’ (1994), followed by ‘Junoon’ (1993) in the role of ‘Aditya Dhanraj’s mother,’ Daal Mein Kala’ (1998) played the role of ‘Kiran,’ ‘Noorjahan’ (2000) in the role of ‘Maharani Jodha Bai,’ ‘Yaha Main Ghar Ghar Kheli’ (2009) in the role of ‘Chandraprabha Udaypratap Singh’
and ‘Kashibai Bajirao Ballal’ (2022) played the character of ‘Maharani Tarabai Rajaram.’ She was also seen in serials including, Ghar Aja Pardesi (2013), Ghutan (1998), and Khamosh Awazein (1998). In 2014, She appeared in a stage show ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ in the character of ‘Veena.’
Smita Jayakar published books titled ‘Before Tomorrow’ in 2014 and ‘In Everness in 2018.
- Smita Jayakar is a spiritual speaker and motivates her viewers to follow the divine path of spirituality through her Instagram reels.
- Beyond her well-known identity, Smita has worked for over 35 years, investigating and self-experimenting with numerous Holistic Healing methods. She is certified in 36 healing modalities.
- She often conducts online sessions on spirituality for her views.
- She has a website that serves her clients to follow their spiritual journey.
- Jayakar shares a great bond with actor Shishir Sharma and are friends with each other for more than 30 years. The Times of India
- Smita dreamt to become an air hostess, however, she worked as a receptionist at Taj Hotel in Mumbai.
- Smita also appeared in commercial ads with John Mathew.