Shruti Haasan is an Indian film actress and singer. She has worked in various Tamil, Telugu, and Hindi films.
She was born on Tuesday, 28 January 1986 (age 34 years; as in 2020), in Madras, Tamil Nadu. Her zodiac sign is Aquarius. She did her schooling from Abacus Montessori School, Chennai and Lady Andal School in Chennai. Later, she pursued her degree in psychology from St. Andrew’s College in Mumbai. When she was 18 years old, moved to the United States from Chennai to learn music from the Hollywood Music School in California. Web Archive
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Eye Colour: Hazel Brown
Hair Colour: Black
Family & Caste
She was born in a Hindu Iyengar Brahmin family. Deccan Herald Her father is the legendary Indian actor, Kamal Haasan, and her mother is the popular Indian actress, Sarika Thakur. Kamal Haasan is a Tamilian, whereas Sarika was born to a Maharashtrian father and a Rajput mother. Hindustan Times Shruti has a younger sister, Akshara Haasan who is an actress too.
The famous lawyer and actor, Charuhasan is her uncle. Shruti is the cousin of the South-Indian actresses, Anu Hasan and Suhasini Maniratnam. The famous Indian director, Mani Ratnam is her brother-in-law.
In 2010, she started dating the Indian actor, Siddharth Suryanarayan. Reportedly, she was in a live-in relationship with Siddharth. They dated for more than a year, but later, they got separated due to some incompatibility issues. Times of India
In 2011, there were rumours that Shruti is dating ‘Kolaveri Di’ singer Dhanush. In 2012, Shruti Haasan denied the rumours and said that she had no love affair with him, and he was only a good friend of her. Filmfare
As per the sources, Shruti and Naga Chaitanya (son of Nagarjuna) met each other in 2013 through a common friend. They became friends, and soon, started dating each other. They were often spotted together at various events, and rumours of their marriage started getting spread in media, but later, the couple got separated. As per a leading newspaper in India,
Shruti had to go on stage to perform, so she told Naga to take my sister too when you leave. But Naga left Akshara due to the timing issue. Shruti and Naga Chaitanya broke up just after this. Dainik Bhaskar
Shruti’s name has also been linked with the popular Indian Cricketer, Suresh Raina. Aaj Tak
Later, she started dating London-based theatre artist, Michael Corsale. She was often spotted with him partying and enjoying vacations. She shared photos with him on her social media accounts. On 20 April 2019, Michael tweeted about his separation with Shruti. The reason behind their separation was their long-distance relationship. India Today
As an Actor
She appeared on the big screen for the first time in the Tamil-Hindi bilingual film, ‘Hey Ram’ in 2000, directed by Kamal Haasan. She played the character of the Vallabhbhai Patel’s daughter in this film. She debuted as a leading actor in the 2009 multi-starrer Hindi film, ‘Luck.’ Her childhood friend, Imran Khan, who was also one of the actors in the film, suggested her name to the directors of this film. The film turned out to be a flop, and she received huge criticism from many renowned Indian film critics for her poor acting skills.
In 2011, she made her Telugu debut opposite Siddharth in the film, ‘Anaganaga O Dheerudu.’ The film received a good opening, and she received great appreciation from critics.
In the same year, she debuted as a lead actor in the Tamil film, ‘7aum Arivu’ opposite Suriya.
Later, she appeared in many Bollywood films, including ‘Dil Toh Baccha Hai Ji’ (2011), ‘Ramaiya Vastavaiya’ (2013), ‘Gabbar Is Back’ (2015), and ‘Behen Hogi Teri’ (2017).
Some of her popular Tamil films are ‘3’ (2012), ‘Poojai’ (2014), ‘Puli’ (2015), and ‘Si3’ (2017).
She has also acted in many Telugu films, like ‘Balupu’ (2013), ‘Yevadu’ (2014), ‘Race Gurram’ (2014), ‘Katamarayudu’ (2017), and ‘Krack’ (2020).
In 2019, she dubbed for the animated character ‘Elsa’ in the Tamil version of the popular animated film, ‘Frozen.’
She played the role of ‘Nira Patel’ in the American action drama television series, Treadstone (2019).
As a Singer
At the age of six, she lent her voice for the song, “Potri Paadadi Ponne” from the film, ‘Thevar Magan’ (1992). In the 1997 film ‘Chachi 420,’ she lent the voice for the song, “Chupadi Chupadi Chaachi” along with Aditya Narayan. She sang the Hindi and Tamil version of the song, ‘Rama Rama’ from the film, “Hey Ram’ in 1992. She has sung many popular songs, like “Kannazhaga Kaalazhaga” from ‘3’ (2012), “Jogania” from ‘Tevar’ (2015), and “Dappava Kizhichaan” from ‘LKG’ (2019).
- In 2013, she was attacked by a stalker in her apartment in Mumbai. She fought back and forcefully shut the door in which the attacker’s hand was jammed. India Today
- Reportedly, in 2014, there were rumours that she hugged and kissed the popular actress, Tamannaah Bhatia in a party in Chennai. Later, Tamannaah denied all such rumours. The Hans India
- In 2017, she opted out of the film ‘Sangamithra,’ after announcing its release at the Cannes Film Festival. In an interview, the spokesperson of Shruti said,
She opted out since she had not received a proper bound script nor a proper date calendar.” Deccan Chronicle
Whereas the opinion of the makers of this film was completely different, they said,
Shruti Haasan didn’t opt-out. We decided that we could not work together effectively.”
- She landed into a major controversy when some of her revealing pictures were leaked from the sets of her Telugu film, ‘Yevadu’ (2014). India Today
Awards & Honours
Filmfare Awards South
2012: Best Female Debut for 7aum Arivu
2012: Best Female Debut for Anaganaga O Dheerudu
2013: Excellence in Tamil for ‘3’
2013: Stylish Actress of South Indian Cinema
2013: Pride of South Indian Cinema
2015: Best Actress (Telugu) for Race Gurram
2016: Performance in a Leading Role – Female for Srimanthudu
She charges around Rs. 1.2 crores for a film. Daily Hunt
- Cuisine: South-Indian
- Vegetable: Lady Finger
- Fashion Brands: Guess and Aldo
- Cosmetic Brand: Mac and Benefit
- Her full name is Shruti Rajalakshmi Hassan. IMDB
- In an interview, she shared about her parents’ marriage, she said,
When I was five, I had the privilege of seeing my parents getting married. Though we were already a family, my parents wanted two children and my mom wanted to get married only when they had the second child. So as soon as my sister Akshara was born, they got married in a beautiful ceremony at home.” Times of India
- While she was in school, she participated in various theatre plays, and one of her theatre play was ‘Ashwaha.’
- While talking about her parents’ separation in an interview, she said,
My mother moved to an apartment in Chennai with Akshara and me when I was 15. Since then, she has been financially independent. We grew up in this mansion with a swimming pool, but we were attached to the home and not to the house.”
- While she was in school, she used a fake name ‘Pooja Ramchandran’ to hide her real identity. She wanted to make her own identity and did not want to be recognised as a celebrity daughter. Asianet News
- She was supposed to debut in the film, ‘Endrendrum Punnagai’ (2008) opposite R. Madhavan, but the film was stalled before the production was started.
- She has featured in various advertisements.
- She is an animal lover and posts pictures with cats and dogs on her social media profiles.
- She has got many tattoos inked on her body. There are more than five tattoos inked on her body.
- She loves wearing stylish shoes. She has more than 100 pair of shoes.
- Reportedly, Shruti’s mother did not talk to her for a few years; as Shruti had developed a good bond with her father’s girlfriend. Later, they sorted out the misunderstanding between them.
- She is trained in Indian classical music and is a trained dancer too.
- She has performed live at various events with her music band, ‘The Extramentals.’
- Once, she was linked with Ranbir Kapoor, to which she replied,
I am very busy with my work and have nothing to say because these rumours don’t affect me anymore.”
- Her nickname is Kanna and Vendakkai.
- She follows a non-vegetarian diet.
- She loves going out for shopping in her leisure time.
- She has featured on the cover of many renowned magazines.
- She shares a good bond with the South-Indian actress, Tamannaah Bhatia.
- As per the poll conducted by the Chennai Times in 2018, she was named as one of the most desirable women in Chennai. Web Archive
- In 2020, she uploaded a photo with a post on her social media account in which she revealed that she had gone under knives to enhance her looks. Economic Times
References [ + ]
|4.||↑||Times of India|
|10.||↑||The Hans India|
|15.||↑||Times of India|