Sushant Singh Rajput is an Indian actor, model, dancer, and entrepreneur. He came into the limelight with his portrayal of the role of ‘Manav Deshmukh’ in the TV serial “Pavitra Rishta.” Sushant has also worked in many Bollywood films like “Kai Po Che!,” “Shuddh Desi Romance,” and “Kedarnath.”
Sushant Singh Rajput was born on Tuesday, 21 January 1986 (age 33; as in 2019) in Maldiha in Purnea district of Bihar. His zodiac sign is Aquarius.
He did his schooling from St. Karen’s High School, Patna and Kulachi Hansraj Model School, Delhi. After completing his schooling, he secured admission in Delhi Technological University (DTU), New Delhi to pursue Bachelor in Mechanical Engineering. Sushant was a bright student right from his childhood and secured AIR #7 in 2003 AIEEE. He also won the Physics National Olympiad and cleared as many as eleven engineering entrance exams. He dropped out in the third year of college to pursue his passion for acting.
While he was a student at the Delhi Technological University, Sushant developed an interest in dancing. He joined Shiamak Davar’s dance group against the decision of his family. Shiamak was impressed with the actor’s dancing talent and gave him a chance to perform in the 2006 Commonwealth Games and Filmfare Awards.
Height (approx.): 5′ 10″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Family & Girlfriend
Sushant was born into a Rajput Family in Patna, Bihar. His father K. K. Singh is a retired government official. His mother died in 2002 of a brain haemorrhage. Sushant has 4 elder sisters. His sister, Mitu Singh is a state-level cricketer.
Sushant Singh Rajput was in a relationship with Ankita Lokhande for six years. However, the couple broke up in 2016.
Sushant was also alleged to be dating his Raabta co-star Kriti Sanon.
When Sushant decided to pursue acting as his career, he joined theatre classes by Barry John to polish his acting skills. Rajput’s personality and acting talent caught the eyes of the casting team of Balaji Telefilms, while he was on-stage during one of his theatre performances. Balaji Telefilms offered Sushant the role of ‘Preet’ in the TV serial “Kis Desh Mein Hai Mera Dil.” It was only after he appeared in the Kis Des Mein Hai Mera Dil that, in 2009, the role of ‘Manav Deshmukh’ in Zee TV’s “Pavitra Rishta” landed to him. His performance in Pavitra Rishta proved to be a big break for him and became a stepping stone in his journey to Bollywood.
Rajput also took part in the dance reality show Jhalak Dikhla Jaa 4.
In 2013, Sushant auditioned for “Kai Po Che!” and was selected to play one of the leads in the movie. The film was a commercial success.
After that, Rajput appeared in the film “Suddh Desi Romance” alongside Parineeti Chopra and Vaani Kapoor. He played the lead character in Dibakar Banerjee’s “Detective Byomkesh Bakshy.”
In 2016, Sushant played the lead role in Indian the cricketer Mahendra Singh Dhoni‘s biography, M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story. The film was one of the highest-grossing Bollywood films of 2016.
Subsequently, he went on to star in commercially successful films “Kedarnath” and “Chhichhore.”
- In 2015, Sushant was publicly slapped by his ex-girlfriend Ankita Lokhande at a party when he was completely drunk and dancing with the girls around him.
- He was also rumoured to have been secretly married to Ankita Lokhande in 2015.
- In 2017, Sushant was nominated in the category of Best Actor Award at IIFA 2017. However, he did not win the award and the award went to Shahid Kapoor for the film Udta Punjab. Just a few minutes later, after Shahid received the award, Sushant tweeted: “@iifa hahahaha.” He received a backlash from Twitter for his tweet.
- In February 2018, there was a scene of midnight brawl between Sushant’s watchman and his group of fans at his Bandra home. Reportedly, Sushant abused his fans, who, then, hit his watchman.
- In August 2018, Sushant Singh Rajput attracted controversy for apparently making his ‘Kizie Aur Manny’ co-star, Sanjana Sanghi, uncomfortable by his flirtatious behaviour and sexually harassing her on the sets of the film. However, the actor later refuted all the rumours and also shared his chat screenshots with Sanjana. Sanjana too took to Twitter and dismissed the ‘baseless and unfounded stories’ that were doing the rounds on the internet. She wrote,
I’d like to clarify that no such incident took place with me. Let’s put an end to these conjectures.”
- After the reports of his flirtatious behaviour with Sanjana came on social media, Sushant lost his verified tick on Twitter. In the wake of #MeToo movement and as a mark of protest, Twitter immediately removed Sushant’s verified badge. However, he later, cleared that the verification tick had not been there for a long time.
- Screen Award for Best Male Debut for the film “Kai Po Che” (2014)
- Producers Guild Film Award for Best Male Debut for “Kai Po Che” (2014)
- Screen Award for Best Actor (Critics) for the film “M.S Dhoni: The Untold Story” (2017)
- Best Actor for M.S Dhoni: The Untold Story at the Indian Film Festival of Melbourne (2017)
Shushant earns Rs. 5-6 crores per film.
Sushant owns Maserati Quattroporte and a Range Rover. He also owns a BMW Bike.
- Food: Rajmah Chawal, Aloo Paranthas, Chicken, Lobsters, Prawns, Pani Puri
- Beverages: Tea with lots of sugar, Lime Juice
- Actors: James Dean, Ryan Gosling, Keanu Reeves, Shah Rukh Khan, Daniel Day-Lewis
- Actresses: Isha Sherwani, Tabu, Jennifer Lawrence
- Film Directors: Sanjay Leela Bhansali, Raj Kumar Hirani, Anand Gandhi
- Colour: Black
- Travel Destinations: Norway, New Zealand
- Sport: Tennis
- Cricketer: Sourav Ganguly
- His hobbies include dancing and playing video games.
- Rajput is very much addicted to black coffee and cigarettes.
- He follows a non-vegetarian diet.
- Sushant was offered a role in Sanjay Leela Bhansali‘s Goliyon Ki Raasleela Ram Leela and Bajirao Mastani, but couldn’t do it owing to his busy schedule.
- Initially, Shahid Kapoor was chosen for the lead role in the film, Shuddh Desi Romance, but the role went to Sushant due to some unknown reasons.
- During his struggling days in the film industry, Shushant stayed with six other guys in a single room in Mumbai. He used to do all the household chores by himself including cooking the food and washing the clothes.
- It took Rajput almost one and half year to prepare himself for the role of Mahendra Singh Dhoni. He practised the helicopter shot for “M. S. Dhoni: The Untold Story” 225 times a day, for several days, to get the perfect outcome.
- Shushant Singh has danced with Ashley Lobo’s troupe, learned martial arts from Allan Amin and assisted Mohit Suri during the making of “Raaz 2” before making a career as an actor.
- Sushant’s family fondly calls him Guddu.
- He resides at a flat on Hill Road, Bandra, Mumbai.
- Rajput finds gym boring, rather, prefers to practise ballet.
- He has a huge love for cars and Bugatti Veyron is his dream car.
- Sushant is a loyal customer to the famous Italian luxury fashion brand Ermenegildo Zegna.
- Rajput is a huge admirer of Nawazuddin Siddiqui.
- Sushant is very possessive about his nephew, Nirvanh.
- His closest friends from the film industry are Mukesh Chabbra, Kriti Sanon, and Rohini Iyer.
- Sushant told during an interview that he was an introvert in his college days.
- Sushant was the first choice to play the lead role in the Bollywood film, Fitoor, but he rejected the film due to his busy schedule.
- Sushant was offered a role in the film “Paani” by the director Shekhar Kapur. Reportedly, he rejected 12 films because of Paani but the film, was later, called off.
- He is an avid animal lover and often shares his pictures with dogs on his Instagram account.
- Sushant told during an interview that he came to Mumbai with 3 major dreams; first, to feature in a Yash Raj Film, second, to do a Pepsi ad commercial, and third, to feature on the cover of the Filmfare Magazine. He further told that he had achieved them all.
- In May 2019, Sushant visited his ancestral home in Bihar after almost 17 years. Sushant, who lost his mother at the age of 16, went there to fulfil his late mother’s wish. He performed an old ritual of mundan at a temple in Khagaria. Although he did not shave off his complete hair, he completed the ritual by trimming off a strand.
- Sushant has a habit of writing down his wishes. Till 2019, he has made a list of 50 wishes that he would like to accomplish in his life. The list includes wishes like “Learn how to Fly a Plane,” “Train for IronMan triathlon,” “Play a Cricket Match left-handed,” “Learn Morse Code,” “Help kids learn about Space,” “Play tennis with a Champion,” and “Do a Four Clap Push-Up.”