Imran Khan is an American actor, film director, and social activist of Indian origin who is the nephew of the Indian actor Aamir Khan. He rose to fame with his debut Hindi film ‘Jaane Tu… Ya Jaane Na’ (2008).
Imran Khan born Imran Pal was born on Thursday, 13 January 1983 (age 40 years; as of 2023) in Madison, Wisconsin, United States. His zodiac sign is Capricorn. He started his schooling at Bombay Scottish School in Mumbai, where he was caned by the teachers. He could not cope with the environment of the school and developed a habit of stammering and facial tics. After seeing his falling grades in school, his mother enrolled him in a boarding school The Blue Mountains School, Ooty, Tamil Nadu. Later, when the principal of the school left The Blue Mountains School to start his own school, Imran followed him to his new school which was in the jungles of Ooty. At school, he used to wash his own clothes and grew vegetables.
In an interview, Imran shared that changing schools frequently in his childhood, made him independent, but it also made him a loner. After a few years, he accompanied his father to Sunnyvale, California and attended Fremont High School there. Thereafter, Imran Khan pursued a course in direction and screenwriting at the New York Film Academy (NYFA) in Los Angeles. Rediff Rediff
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Weight: 65 kg
Hair Colour: Brown
Eye Colour: Hazel Brown
Parents & Siblings
His father, Anil Pal, is a software engineer and works as a senior manager at Yahoo! in California.
His mother, Nuzhat Khan, is a psychologist, actor, and costume designer. When Imran was a toddler, his parents got separated. Later, his mother got married to the Indian actor Rajendranath Zutshi, however, she got divorced from him in 2015. He does not have any siblings.
Wife & Children
At the age of 19, he started dating the Indian actress and model Avantika Malik. After dating for almost eight years, the couple got engaged on 16 January 2010 at a farmhouse owned by Avantika’s family in Karjat (near Navi Mumbai). On 10 January 2011, they got married in a private ceremony held at Aamir Khan’s home in Pali Hill.
The couple has a daughter, Imara Khan, who was born on 9 June 2014. In May 2019, the couple parted ways after which Avantika moved to her mother’s place along with her daughter.
The Indian actor Aamir Khan is his maternal uncle.
In February 2023, Imran was spotted walking hand in hand with the Indian actress Lekha Washington hinting towards their romantic relationship. The Times of India
Imran Khan is half Hindu (from his father’s side) and half Muslim (from his mother’s side). The Quint
24, Pali Hill, Mumbai
In 1988, Imran made his debut as a child actor with the Hindi film ‘Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak’ in which he played the role of young Raj (which was played by Aamir Khan).
In 1992, he played the role of young Sanjay Lal (played by Aamir Khan) in the Hindi film ‘Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar.’
Imran made his debut as a lead actor with the Hindi film ‘Jaane Tu… Ya Jaane Na’ (2008), and the film was a massive hit. He played the role of Jai “Rats” Singh Rathore in the film.
However, his next few films failed to do well at the box office. Some of such films are ‘Kidnap’ (2008), ‘Jhootha Hi Sahi’ (2010), and ‘Break Ke Baad’ (2010).
Imran then appeared in a few commercially successful films like ‘Mere Brother Ki Dulhan’ (2011), ‘Delhi Belly’ (2011), and ‘Once Upon a Time in Mumbai Dobaara!’ (2013).
In 2013, he appeared in a few Hindi films like ‘Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola,’ ‘Bombay Talkies,’ and ‘Gori Tere Pyaar Mein’ with which he failed to impress the critics and audience.
In 2015, after the release of his Hindi film ‘Katti Batti,’ he quit acting. The Indian Express
In 2018, he made his directorial debut with the Hindi short film ‘Mission Mars: Keep Walking India.’ He has also worked as a writer in the film.
Imran Khan has been working as a social activist for a very long time. In 2009, he participated in the fund-raising theatre play The Vagina Monologues. He has also been associated with PETA and working for the welfare of animals. In 2011, he filmed an advertisement ‘Tony Changed My Life. You Can Change a Homeless Dog’s Life. Please Adopt,’ urging people to adopt stray dogs and cats.
In 2011, he filed a PIL opposing the law of the Maharashtra Government in which the legal age limit for drinking alcohol was raised to 25 years. In an interview, while talking about it, Imran said,
It’s completely unfair to expect that one has to wait till 25 years to exercise his freedom of choice regarding one’s lifestyle. Young India is not as irresponsible as the older establishment assumes it to be.”
Imran has also walked the ramp during a fundraising event for Mijwan Welfare Society, a charitable initiative started by the veteran Indian actor Shabana Azmi. In 2013, Imran Khan bought a four-acre land to build an animal shelter for stray animals. He even hired veterinary doctors and staff to take care of the stray animals. In the same year, Imran along with the comedy group All India Bakchod announced that they would start a campaign against the ban on gay sex in India through a satire video. In an interview, while talking about supporting LGBTQ groups, Imran said,
I’ve always been involved with gay rights. The scenario in this country is disheartening and depressing. These are basic human rights that people are being denied of; they’re no minority. The idea of this initiative is to show those who do not support homosexuality, how ridiculous their thinking is.”
He has also been associated with various HIV prevention and awareness campaigns.
In 2009, he started working as a columnist for Hindustan Times. Imran has been featured in TV commercials for various brands like Coke, LUX, Bru, and Levi’s.
He has also lent his voice to the song “Chaar Dina Ki” from the Hindi film ‘Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola’ (2013).
Tiff With the Film Director Rahul Rawail
In an interview in 2015, when Imran was asked about the Indian director Rahul Rawail, Imran asked the reporter “Is Rahul Rawail still around?” as Imran was upset with Rahul for creating misunderstandings between his wife Avantika Malik and the Indian actor Ranbir Kapoor. In reply, Rahul’s nephew Rajat Rawail shared a post on his social media account in which he criticised Imran Khan’s films. The post reads,
Imraan khan needs a reality check. It was Mr. Aamir Khan that went from pillar to post promoting Jaane Tu… and his goodwill and credibility got the audience into the theaters. Imraan Khan’s claim to fame is Once upon a time 2 he ruined the brand franchise built by the stellar performance of Ajay Sir & Gori Tere Pyaar Main which happens to be a landmark disaster in all senses in the solid dharma productions library. Both these above mentioned films are appx loss estimated of Rs 50cr+ to the producers/financiers/distributors.”
Rajat further wrote,
Imraan khan needs to know his position in the trade today – he has only made it to the party list, thats it !!!! Today a film with me as a leading man will take a bigger draw then him….now its time for him to piggy back on Kangana Ranaut. imraan Khan aaj producer ke liye free main mahenga hain !!!”
On 23 June 2015, Rahul made a tweet in which he wrote “My sympathies with this mentally challenged person” hinting towards Imran Khan. Deccan Chronicle
- 2009: Won Best Male Debut by Filmfare Awards for the Hindi film Jaane Tu… Ya Jaane Na
- 2009: Won Best Male Debut by Apsara Film & Television Producers Guild Awards for the Hindi film Jaane Tu… Ya Jaane Na
- 2009: Nominated for Most Promising Newcomer – Male by Screen Awards for the Hindi film Jaane Tu… Ya Jaane Na
- 2009: Nominated for Superstar of Tomorrow – Male by Stardust Awards for the Hindi film Jaane Tu… Ya Jaane Na
- 2009: Nominated for Best Villain by International Indian Film Academy Awards for the Hindi film Kidnap
- 2009: Won Best Actor in a Negative Role by AXN Action Awards for the Hindi film Kidnap
- 2010: Nominated for Superstar of Tomorrow – Male by Stardust Awards for the Hindi film Luck
- 2011: Nominated for Best Actor (Popular Choice) by Screen Awards for the Hindi film I Hate Luv Storys
- 2011: Won Chivas Award for Outstanding Achievement by GQ Men of the Year Awards
- 2012: Nominated for International Male Icon by Zee Cine Awards
- 2012: Nominated for Best Actor (Popular Choice) by Screen Awards for the Hindi films Delhi Belly & Mere Brother Ki Dulhan
- 2012: Nominated for Favorite Youth Icon by People’s Choice Awards India
- 2013: Nominated for Best Actor (Popular Choice) by Screen Awards for the Hindi film Ek Main Aur Ekk Tu
- 2013: Nominated for Best Actor – Comedy/Romance by Stardust Awards for the Hindi film Ek Main Aur Ekk Tu
At the age of 21, he got his first car Maruti Zen VXi which he later sold to an employee in his office. Later, he bought a Porsche Cayenne and a Cayman car. However, after a few years, he sold both of them. He then bought a BMW 3-Serzies, Ferrari California, and Volkswagen Beetle. In an interview, he shared that he was not fond of motorcycles but loved cars. Business Today
Reportedly, he charged around Rs 11 crore for the 2013 Hindi film Once Upon a Time in Mumbai Dobaara! The Times of India
- Food: Dal-Chawal, Fried Bombil, Bhelpuri, Chili Con Carne
- Beverage(s): Watermelon Juice, Beer
- Actor(s): Aamir Khan, Hrithik Roshan
- Actress: Kareena Kapoor
- Sport: Cricket
- Colour: White
- Book Writer: Roald Dahl
- Travel Destination: London
- Restaurant(s): Moshe’s, Gajalee, Don Giovanni, Belthazar
- After completing a course in direction and screenwriting, he ventured into market research and advertising. Later, he shifted to Mumbai from the US and did his training in acting at Kishore Namit Kapoor Acting Institute, Mumbai.
- He is an avid animal lover and owns a pet cat named Sigmund.
- His eyes and lips are considered his most distinctive physical features.
- In 2009, while shooting an action scene for the Hindi film ‘Luck,’ he burnt his eyebrows.
- In 2011, he was labelled as a gay icon by India’s first legal gay magazine ‘Bombay Dost.’
- In 2012, GQ India magazine listed him in Bollywood’s 11 Best-Dressed Actors.
- He was ranked 40th on Forbes ‘Celebrity 100’ list (2013), which is based on the income and popularity of people from the entertainment industry.
- He has got two tattoos inked on his body; one on his right bicep and another is a footprint of his daughter on his left chest.
- Imran Khan has been featured on the cover of various magazines like Filmfare, GQ, and The Man.
- In his leisure time, he loves to travel and read books.
- His looks are often compared his looks with the Hollywood actor Robert Pattinson. The Times of India In an interview, while talking about it, Imran said,
I get that a lot. Many girls feel I do look like Robert Pattinson but I don’t think that’s true. It’s definitely a compliment considering he is good looking and enjoys massive female fan following.”