Dulquer Salmaan is an Indian actor, singer, and entrepreneur who mainly works in the Malayalam Cinema. He is known for playing the role of ‘Charlie’ in the Malayalam Film “Charlie” (2015). He is the son of the famous actor and producer, Mammootty.
Dulquer Salmaan was born on Monday, 28 July 1986 (age 37 years; as of 2023) in Kochi, Kerala. His zodiac sign is Leo.
He did his schooling from Kochi’s Toc-H Public School and Chennai’s Sishya School. He attended Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, USA to pursue Bachelor of Business Management (BBM). Dulquer had an inclination towards directing since his childhood. He used to make short films when he was 14-15 years old. He often took his father’s camera and play around with it. After completing his graduation, he worked as a Business Manager at a reputed firm in the US. Thereafter, he did an I.T.-related business in Dubai. Dulquer, then, got enrolled himself in the Barry John Acting Studio in Mumbai to pursue a three months acting course.
Height (approx.): 5’ 9”
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Wife
Dulquer Salmaan belongs to a Muslim Family. His father, Muhammad Kutty Paniparambil Ismail aka Mammootty, is a popular Indian actor and producer. His mother, Sulfath Kutty, is a homemaker. He has an elder sister, Kutty Surumi.
Dulquer got married to Amal Sufiya, an architect, in an arranged marriage on 22 December 2011. The couple has a daughter, Maryam, who was born on 5 May 2017.
Dulquer made his acting debut in 2012 with the Malayalam Film “Second Show” in which he played the role of Harilal “Lalu.” The film earned him a Filmfare Award for Best Male Debut. Next, he appeared in Ustad Hotel as Faizal “Faizy.” After the commercial success of ABCD: American-Born Confused Desi and Neelakasham Pachakadal Chuvanna Bhoomi, Dulquer stepped into the Tamil Film Industry. He made his Tamil film debut with the romantic comedy “Vaayai Moodi Pesavum.”
In 2014, he starred in the romantic drama “Bangalore Days,” which ranks among the highest-grossing Malayalam films. The following year, Salmaan appeared in Tamil commercial success “O Kadhal Kanmani.” Subsequently, he played the title role in the romantic drama “Charlie” and garnered critical acclaims. The film earned him the Kerala State Film Award for Best Actor.
Dulquer made his Bollywood debut in 2018 by starring in the road film “Karwan.” He played the role of Avinash in the film. In 2019, he featured in the Bollywood film “The Zoya Factor” opposite Sonam Kapoor.
View this post on Instagram
Luck won’t stay for too long, but hard work will always pay off! Watch luck battle it out with hard work featuring Zoya and Nikhil in cinemas on 20th Sep. #TheZoyaFactor. @sonamkapoor #AbhishekSharma @pooja__shetty @aartishetty @foxstarhindi @ad_labsfilms @angadbedi @sanjaykapoor2500 @sikandarkher
Apart from being an actor, he is also a singer and has sung various songs like Johnny Mone Johnny from the Malayalam film ABCD: American-Born Confused Desi (2013). Dulquer is also a philanthropist and has been involved in many social service activities. He has acted in the short film based on Kerala Motor Vehicle Department’s safe riding campaign. He was also a part of the Chennai Gives initiative and donated 150 items that included clothing, shoes, books, school supplies and crockery items.
In addition, Dulquer owns a dental business chain in Chennai and a car-trading web portal. Salmaan is the director of the “Motherhood Hospital” based in Bangalore.
- Asiavision Award for Best Newcomer for the film “Second Show” (2012)
- Filmfare Award South for Best Debut- Male for the film “Second Show” (2013)
- Asianet Film Award for Star of the Year (2014)
- South Indian International Movie Award for Best Debut (Male) for the film “Vaayai Moodi Pesavum” (2015)
- Kerala State Film Award for Best Actor for the film “Charlie” (2016)
- Behindwoods Gold Wall of Famers for Best Performer for the film “Kali” and “Kammatipaadam” (2017)
- Actors: Rajinikanth, Pawan Kalyan, Mahesh Babu
- Food: Biryani
- Holiday Destination: London
- Director: Mani Ratnam
- Superheros: Ironman, Batman
- App: Twitter
- Films: Manam (2014), Magadheera (2009)
- His hobbies include singing, watching films, and travelling.
- He is fond of bikes and cars since his childhood.
- As a kid, he was petrified of dogs but he started liking them as he grew up. He owns a pet dog, Honey.
- Dulquer revealed in an interview that despite being a student of business and finance, he chose acting because he felt that after working in that field, his life had become monotonous and routine.
- His name is derived from two warriors. Being a student of Islamic history, his father was so much fascinated with the warriors that he combined the names of two warriors and kept Dulquer’s name. Reportedly, his name has a reference to Alexander, The Great.
- His friends and family members fondly call him Salu and DQ.