Dr B. Ramana Rao is a consultant physician and cardiologist practising in Bangalore. He is famous for operating a free rural clinic in the T Begur village near Bengaluru.
Rao was born on Friday, 31 August 1951 (age 68 years; as in 2019) in Hyderabad. His zodiac sign is Virgo. He completed his schooling from St. Joseph’s Indian High School. He attended Kasturba Medical College in Manipal and Bangalore Medical College for his MBBS and MD degrees (Medicine and Cardiology), respectively. Later, he also pursued- FAGE, FICA, and FAIID.
Family, Caste & Wife
He belongs to a South Indian family. His father’s name is B. S. Rama Rao and mother’s name is Shakuntla Rao. His parents belong to West Godavari District of Andhra Pradesh.
He is married to Hema Rao, and they have two sons- Charit Bhograj and Abhijit Bhograj. Charit is a cardiologist and Abhijit is an endocrinologist.
On 15 August 1973, Rao’s father started a clinic for him. His clinic is located in T. Begur (a rural area), which is 35 km away from Bangalore (Bangalore-Pune National Highway).
On every Sunday, he visits his clinic and organises a free checkup camp there. He provides free medicines and food to the patients. He works with a proficient team including his wife and his two sons.
His clinic is considered as one of the world’s longest-running free clinics. Since 1973, he has treated around 1.4 million patients and running this clinic for more than 44 years.
Dr B. Ramana Rao had filed a case against Hemanth Kashyap, who worked with Kannada news channel Public TV, for blackmailing him to pay Rs. 50 lakhs. Hemanth threatened him to leak his personal videos on a TV channel. He had extorted Rs. 5 Lakhs from Dr Rao and was demanding more money. The Hindu
Awards & Honours
- Dr Abdul Kalam National Award: Rural medical service (2008)
- Padma Shri: For Contribution in the Field of Medicine (2010)
Clinic: 94/H, 9th Cross, 13th Main, Rajmahal Vilas Extension, Landmark: Near Sadashivanagar Low-Level Park, Bangalore
- Food: South Indian Cuisines
- Actor: Amitabh Bachchan
- His clinic is considered one of the world’s longest-running free clinics.
- He has distributed free books and uniforms in fifty schools of the nearby villages.
- With the help of his team, he built 697 toilets in the Begur village.
- In 1984, he treated Amitabh Bachchan as he was suffering from a serious illness.
- On receiving the Padma Shri award he said-
I feel like I have received a pat on the back from Mahatma Gandhi, Pandit Nehru and indeed all our forefathers who built modern India. It is a recognition of the need to serve those in need. It motivates me to do more. I wish more to join in and make life better for many more.”
- Rao and his wife appeared on the special ‘Karmaveer’ episode of Kaun Banega Crorepati 11 in September 2019.
References [ + ]