Arshad Warsi is an Indian actor, producer, and singer. He is famous for his role of ‘Circuit’ in the Bollywood movie, Munnabhai M.B.B.S, starring Sanjay Dutt.
Arshad Warsi was born on 19 April 1968 (age 51; as in 2019) in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. He was born and brought up in Mumbai. His surname is actually Khan, but his family opted for Warsi as their surname, after his father, became a follower of a holy man- Waris Pak. He attended the boarding school, Barnes School & Junior College, Devlali, Nashik district, Maharashtra. At the age of nine, Arshad was selected by two British men, from thousands of other children, to be trained in gymnastics. He is also a national level gymnast. He was also a part of bikers gang during his school days. However, due to the financial crisis, Arshad had to quit studies after his 10th standard. He, then, worked as a cosmetics salesman and also worked in a photo lab assisting Mahesh Bhatt during the movies Kaash (1987) and Thikana (1987). Later, he joined Akbar Sami’s dance group and won the “Indian Dance Competition” in 1991. He decided to become a choreographer and initiated his own dance academy under the name ‘Awesome.’
Height: 5’ 5”
Body Measurements: 40′ chest, 34′ waist, and 14′ biceps
Eye Colour: Light Brown
Hair Colour: Black
Family, Wife & Caste
Arshad Warsi was born into a Muslim Family. His father, late Ahmed Ali Khan, was a musician, singer, and a poet. He has a stepbrother, Anwar Hussain, a singer, and two stepsisters, Reshma and Asha Sachdev; Asha is an actress. Arshad lost his father to bone cancer when he was 18-year-old, and after 2 years, he lost his mother to kidney failure.
Arshad met Maria Goretti at Malhar Festival where he was a judge while Maria was a participant. Impressed by her dance, Arshad offered Maria to join his dance group and soon the duo fell for each other. They tied the knot on 14 February 1999. His wife is a blogger and a former VJ. The couple is blessed with a son, Zeke and a daughter, Zene Zoe.
As a choreographer, Arshad choreographed the song “Roop Ki Rani” from the movie “Roop Ki Rani Choron Ka Raja” (1993) starring Anil Kapoor and Sridevi. He also choreographed the musicals of Alyque Padamsee and Bharat Dabholkar.
Arshad hosted various TV shows such as “Razzmatazz” (2001), “Karishma – The Miracles of Destiny” (2003-2004), “Sabse Favourite Kaun – Award Show” (2004), and “Bigg Boss 1” (2006).
Arshad made his debut as an actor in the 1996 Bollywood movie, “Tere Mere Sapne,” produced under Amitabh Bachchan‘s production company, A.B.C.L. He then appeared in movies like “Betaabi” (1997), “Mere Do Anmol Ratan” (1998), “Hero Hindustani” (1998), “Hogi Pyaar Ki Jeet” (1999), “Trishakti” (1999), “Ghaath” (2001), “Mujhe Meri Biwi Se Bachaao” (2001), and “Jaani Dushman: Ek Anokhi Kahani” (2002). However, Arshad got his break, only in 2003, with the character of ‘Circuit’ in the movie, “Munna Bhai M.B.B.S.” starring Sanjay Dutt. Subsequently, he appeared in movies like “Hulchul” (2004), “Maine Pyaar Kyun Kiya?” (2005), “Salaam Namaste” (2005), “Lage Raho Munna Bhai” (2006), “Golmaal: Fun Unlimited” (2006), “Dhamaal” (2007), “Krazzy 4” (2008), “Golmaal Returns” (2008), “Ishqiya” (2010), “Golmaal 3” (2010), “Double Dhamaal” (2011), “Jolly LLB” (2013), “Dedh Ishqiya” (2014), “Guddu Rangeela” (2015), and “Golmaal Again” (2017).
- Best Actor (Comic Role) – Zee Cine Awards – Munna Bhai M.B.B.S. in 2004
- Best Comedian Award – GIFA Awards – Hulchul in 2005
- Best Performance (Comic Role) – Filmfare Awards – Lage Raho Munna Bhai in 2007
- Best Supporting Actor – IIFA Awards – Lage Raho Munna Bhai in 2007
- Best Actor in a Comic Role – Zee Cine Awards – Lage Raho Munna Bhai in 2007
- Best Supporting Actor – Screen Awards – Lage Raho Munna Bhai in 2007
- Best Anchor (Game/Quiz Show) – Indian Television Academy Award – 2007
- Best Supporting Actor – Screen Awards – Ishqiya in 2011
- Most Entertaining Actor in a Comedy Film (Male) – BIG Star Entertainment Awards – Jolly LLB in 2013
- Best Performance in a Comic Role – IIFA Awards – Jolly LLB in 2014
- Best Performance in a Comic Role – Apsara Film Producers Guild Awards – Jolly LLB in 2014
- In 2001, Arshad’s comment on a soft drink commercial as “How pakao is Katrina in the Slice ad, Kairi pakadti hai aur vo aam ban jata hai… Angoor do tho shayad Wine banjayegi” was spread all over the media which turned out to be a controversial comment. But later, Arshad explained saying that, “My comment has nothing to do with Katrina. It’s just a humorous observation on the creatives of the ad. It’s called a sense of humour.”
- In 2006, Arshad along with his co-actor, John Abraham, and the other crew members, received death threats from the Taliban during the shoot of their movie “Kabul Express” in Afghanistan. Nevertheless, the Afghan government provided them security with 60 armed commandos throughout their shoot in Afghanistan.
- In 2016, Arshad received death threats via phone calls, texts, and letters informing him that his “body parts will be cut off” and he’ll be “burned alive” for his dialogue “Daaku Valmiki se Sant Valmiki ban Jayenge,” in the movie, “The Legend of Michael Mishra.” However, Arshad explained himself through a Twitter post.
For those who do not know the story of Sant Valmiki. pic.twitter.com/lepXhSbjGw
— Arshad Warsi (@ArshadWarsi) July 26, 2016
Assets & Properties
Arshad’s car collection includes an Audi Q7 and Volkswagen Beetle Harley Davidson and his bike collection includes a Ducati Monster 797 Dark Edition. He resides at Shooting Star Films Pvt. Ltd. A-605/606, Morya House, Off. New Link Road, Oshiwara, Andheri (West), Mumbai – 400053.
View this post on Instagram
Net Worth & Salary
Arshad charges ₹2-3 crore per movie. His net worth is around ₹269 Crore ($40 million).
- Dessert: Meringue
- Actor: Amitabh Bachchan
- Actress: Madhuri Dixit
- Movie: Scarface
- Sport: Cricket and Football
- Colour: Black
- Destination: Goa
- Arshad quit his habit of smoking when he received a card from his son asking him to quit smoking. He was a chain smoker for around 30 years.
- After the success of the 1996 movie “Tere Mere Sapne,” Arshad, reportedly, represented himself as the only reason behind the success.
- Arshad was not the first choice for the character “Circuit” in the movie, “Munna Bhai M.B.B.S.” But, his performance was highly acclaimed after the release and also earned him various awards.
- Arshad was not satisfied with his role in the 2004 movie, “Hulchul.”
- Dissatisfied with the change of his role in “Golmaal Returns,” Arshad decided not to act in the further sequels of “Golmaal.” However, the film director, Rohit Shetty, resolved the issues and Arshad appeared in “Golmaal 3” and “Golmaal Again.”
- Actress Jaya Bachchan helped Arshad in the establishment of his successful acting career.
- He is a pet lover.
- Arshad voiced the character of Jack Sparrow, which was played by Johnny Depp in English, in the Hindi dubbing of the movie, “Pirates of the Caribbean.”