Karthik Kumar is an Indian stand-up comedian, who is predominantly known for his work in Tamil films and television shows.
Karthik Kumar was born on Monday, 21 November 1977 (age 44 years; as of 2021) in Chennai.
His zodiac sign is Scorpio. He has done his schooling at Vidya Mandir Senior Secondary School, Tamil Nadu in 1996. In 1996, he pursued B. Tech in Chemical Engineering at Sri Venkateswara College of Engineering, Tamil Nadu. She has also pursued Marketing/Brand Management in 2011 at Mudra Institute of Communications, Ahmedabad. Karthik Kumar- Facebook
Height (approx.): 6
Weight (approx.): 75 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): Chest: 46 Inches, Waist: 38 Inches, Biceps: 16 Inches
Parents & Siblings
The name of his parents is not known.
She has a younger sister.
Wife & Children
Karthik has married twice. The name of his first wife is Suchitra Ramadurai, who is a Radio Jockey. He was married to her from 2005-2017.
He married actress Amrutha Srinivasan on 12th December 2021.
Karthik started his acting career at the age of 18. He debuted in the Tamil film ‘Alaipayuthey’ as Shyam in 2000.
He appeared in other Tamil films including Vaanam Vasappadum (2004), Yaaradi Nee Mohini (2008), Deiva Thirumagal (2011), Pasanga 2 (2015), and Vellaiya Irukiravan Poi Solla Maatan (2015). He has appeared in other Hindi films including Saathiya (2002), Yuva (2004), and Sapno Ke Desh Mein (2010).
He has featured in the Tamil television show ‘Dharmayutham’ as Arjun in 2012.
Karthik became a stand-up comedian in 2016. He has appeared in many comedy videos on YouTube like ‘South Indian vs North Indian,’ ‘Vegetarians vs Non-Vegetarians,’ and ‘Middle Class Eating Out.’
He made a special solo video on YouTube named ‘#PokeMe.’ His next special was ‘Second Decoction,’ and ‘Blood Chutney.’ He has done stand-up comedy in more than 300 shows in India and in other countries.
- Hacked Twitter account:
In 2017, Karthik made a video of his ex- wife and posted it on Facebook. In the video, he asked his fans to guess the next script he would be writing. He made it clear that the script would be about his wife. Earlier, his wife was involved in a controversy in which some private pictures of Tamil actors Dhanush, Rana Daggubati were leaked from Suchitra`s Twitter account. He posted a video, in which he talked about his wife being innocent. He also wrote a post on Facebook and said,
Good morning. The last few days have been disturbing for us as a family as Suchi’s Twitter account was hacked. Today we have retrieved her account. All the tweets published over the last few days were not by Suchi and is completely false.” India Today
- Not so funny:
In 2018, Karthik released his special named ‘Blood Chutney’ that telecasted on Amazon Prime Video which was criticized by a lot of media houses. According to them, the video involved body-shaming, hypocrisy and sexism. On this, Kumar said that his jokes were being taken very seriously. The Quint
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- He won an award by Your Story as The Disruptors of Tamil Nadu in 2018.
- His name was in the list of 20 most promising corporate outbond training providers in 2019.
- Actor: Amitabh Bachchan
- Singer: M. Rafi, Jagjit Singh
- Karthik likes to travel, cook and paint during his leisure time.
- He follows a vegetarian diet.
- When Karthik turned 10, he watched a movie titled ‘Nayagan,’ which gained his interest in acting.
- Karthik played the role of a drunk man in one of the plays held in his school. He was 16 when he actually drank alcohol to play the part.
- In 2003, at the age of 25, he started his own event management company named ‘Evam.’ He started the company with his classmate Sunil Vishnu. In 2009 and 2013, his company went bankrupt. In an interview, talking about his company, he said,
We wanted to make a living out of what we loved and we loved and we loved theatre, and also for that feeling of being significant.”
- In 2016, Karthik planned to make a change in his career. He took retirement from acting and started making comic videos. Karthik Kumar- Facebook On a Facebook post, he talked about his retirement and said,
19 Feature films later I’m finally stopping – I’m not going to seek out more work in Cinema as an actor… its time to hang those boots, for good, or for a long while… either way they gotta come off now! Going to shoot for my 19th Feature – a cute comedy drama by a director whose tone of comedy is much enjoyable… I’m going through the charades of haggling with production, dates juggling, begging for bound script and dance master fearing… the usual!”
- Karthik wrote a book in 2018 titled ‘Don’t Startup: What no one tells you about starting your business.’ In an interview, he talked about the logic behind the title of his book and said,
When you usually tell an entrepreneurial personality not to do something, they definitely end up doing it. Money making was incredibly difficult. Not just that, we heard a lot of nos too. Nobody will tell you that a start-up is the best thing. You’ll hear a lot of ‘This won’t make enough money’ and ‘You aren’t the right person to try it out’.”
- In 2017, Karthik divorced his wife Suchitra after many years of marriage. In an interview, he said that he was fond of his ex-wife, and he even remembered her a lot of times after divorce.
- On 12 December 2021, he remarried actress Amrutha Srinivasan. She is 16 years younger to Karthik. Their wedding ceremony took place in Chennai. He posted a picture with his wife on Instagram and captioned it as
She got my back. I know now what it means, to have someone fully have your back. I have her back. And that’s special because she lets me. Now I know I’m her home.”
- He is a passionate animal lover and often posts pictures with dogs.
- On Instagram, he often posts pictures while drinking alcohol.
- He has appeared in many newspapers and magazines.