Sabyasachi Mukherjee is an Indian fashion designer, jewellery designer, and couturier. He is one of the youngest board members of the National Museum of Indian Cinema.
Sabyasachi Mukherjee was born on Saturday, 23 February 1974 (age 46 years; as in 2020) in Kolkata. His zodiac sign is Pisces. Sabyasachi grew up in Maniktala, West Bengal. He did his schooling from Kolkata’s Sri Aurobindo Vidyamandir and went to St. Xavier’s College to pursue his graduation. When he was 15 years old, his father lost his job. While in college, Sabyasachi wanted to become a fashion designer, but his parents were not happy with his decision, instead they wanted him to become a doctor. So, he sold his books and paid for the admission form. Mukherjee passed the exam and pursued a fashion course from NIFT.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Family & Caste
Sabyasachi Mukherjee belongs to a Bengali Brahmin Family. His father’s name is Sukumar Mukherjee. His mother, Sondhya Mukherjee, used to work at Kolkata’s Government Art College. He has a sister, Shingini Mukherjee (Payal) who operates the business of his fashion label.
Marital Status: Unmarried
After graduating from NIFT, Sabyasachi opened a small workshop and started his label “Sabyasachi” (1999) with a workforce of just three people. After working hard for two years, in 2001, he won the Femina British Council’s “The Most Outstanding and Young Designer of India Award.” Later, he went to London for an internship with ‘Georgina von Etzdorf’, an eclectic designer based in Salisbury. Subsequently, he made his first international runway with the “Grand Winner Award” (2003) at the Mercedes Benz New Asia Fashion week in Singapore. Later, he opened a workshop in Paris by ‘Jean Paul Gaultier’ and ‘Azzedine Alaia.’ In 2006, Sabyasachi launched his “Spring Summer collection 07” at New York Fashion Week. It earned him critical acclaim, and his label started selling worldwide. Sabyasachi has designed the looks for many Bollywood movies, including “Black,” “Baabul,” “Laaga Chunari Mein Daag,” “Raavan,” “Guzaarish,” “Paa,” and “English Vinglish.” His celebrity clientele includes Rani Mukerji, Sridevi, Tabu, Shabana Azmi, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Anushka Sharma, and Deepika Padukone among others. Besides outfits, he has also opened his jewellery line. Sabyasachi has recently started his kids collection, “Chota Sabya.”
- MTV Lycra Style Award for Best Designer of Hindustan
- Society Achievers Award for the Best New Indian Designer
- Listed as one of the ten most influential Indians in Asia by Asia Inc. (a Singapore-based business magazine)
- Only Indian Fashion Designer to be requested to showcase his work at Italy’s Milan Fashion Week (2004)
- Food: Fish Curry & Rice, Upma
- Colour(s): Gold, Silver, Pink
- His hobbies include travelling and painting.
- Sabyasachi is a food buff and wishes to host a food based show one day.
- Mukherjee is greatly inspired for his designs from the gypsies, antique textiles, and cultural traditions of his hometown Kolkata.
- His fashion label has its flagship stores in Kolkata, New Delhi, Mumbai, and Hyderabad. His exclusive outfits are also available at selected stores in various parts of India, and a few international retailers in California, Atlanta, London, and Dubai.
- Sabyasachi loves using Banarasi fabric in his designer collection.
- He has also promoted the Indian fabric “Khadi” on international platforms.
- Sabhayasachi is the youngest board member of the National Museum of the Indian Cinema.
- Most of Sabyasachi’s creations have distinct geometrical patterns and colours.
- All the business of his fashion label is managed by his sister.
- His family and friends fondly call him Pepsi and Sabya.
- He is an active philantrophist. Sabyasachi started a project “Save the Saree” through which he retailed hand-woven sarees on a non-profit basis. The sarees were priced at Rs. 3500, and the entire amount went to the weavers of Murshidabad.
- The actress, Deepika Padukone is so obsessed with Sabyasachi outfits that she had earlier revealed that whenever she would get married, she would love to become a Sabyasachi bride.
- Sabyasachi appeared on a chat show with his close fried Rani Mukerji and disclosed many aspects about his personal life.
- Sabyasachi designed Rani Mukerji’s bridal outfit in just 3 hours.
- He was one of the first few persons to have known about Virat Kohli and Anushka Sharma‘s wedding before it became public. He revealed during an interview that his team used codes while working on Anushka’s bridal costume, so that the secret stayed intact.