Anirudh Agarwal is an Indian film and television actor. He is best known for playing the role of ‘Samri’ in the Bollywood film, ‘Purana Mandir’ (1984).
Anirudh was born on Tuesday, 20 December 1949 (age 70 years; as in 2019), in Vikasnagar, Uttarakhand. His zodiac sign is Sagittarius. He studied civil engineering from the University of Roorkee (now IIT Roorkee). BBC
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Family & Caste
Parents & Siblings
He is eighth among his five brothers and five sisters. His eldest brother’s name is Chandanlal Agarwal. His nephew, Neeraj Agarwal is a politician.
Relationships, Wife & Children
He is married to Neelam who is from Saharanpur, Uttar Pradesh. The couple is blessed with a son, Aseem Agarwal and a daughter, Kapila Agarwal.
He started his career as a civil contractor at the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre in Mumbai. He took a long break from his job due to ill-health and quit his job. He debuted in the Hindi film, ‘Teri Maang Sitaron Se Bhar Doon’ (1982). Later, one of his friends asked him to meet Ramsay Brothers. Fortunately, at that time, Ramsay Brothers were looking for an actor who could play ghost in their films and cast Anirudh as ‘Samri’ in the film, Purana Mandir in 1984.
He got immense popularity with the character of a ghost in various Hindi films. He has acted in many Bollywood films, like ‘3D Saamri’ (1985), ‘Ram Lakhan’ (1989), ‘Bandh Darwaza’ (1990), ‘Bandit Queen’ (1994), ‘Dulhan Bani Daayan’ (1999), ‘Mela’ (2000), and ‘Mallika’ (2010).
He has also appeared in two Hollywood films, ‘The Jungle Book’ (1994) and ‘Such a Long Journey’ (1998).
In 1993, he debuted in the TV serial, ‘Zee Horror Show’ (1993). Later, he acted in the TV serials, like ‘Tu Tu Main Main’ (1994), ‘Mano Ya Na Mano’ (1995), and ‘Shaktimaan’ (1997).
- He used to represent his school and college in various sports tournaments.
- While he was in college, he was elected as the General Secretary of the student council.
- The cause behind his extra-ordinary height was a tumour in his pituitary gland that also distorted his face.
- He started his acting career with the name “Ajay Agarwal,” but later, switched to his real name.
- Reportedly, his parents were not happy with his decision to pursue his career as an actor.
- Earlier, people used to confuse him with the underworld criminal, Mohammed Iqbal Sheikh (who was nicknamed by the police as Purana Mandir).
- Anirudh’s son, Aseem Agrawal debuted as an actor in the Hindi film, ‘Fight Club’ (2006) and is now living in Los Angeles, America.
- Anirudh’s daughter, Kapila Agarwal debuted in ‘Bunty Aur Babli’ (2005); as an actress and now works as an architect.