An Indian businessman and industrialist, Subrata Roy (सुब्रत रॉय सहारा) is the Chairman of Sahara India Pariwar. Subrata Roy established Sahara in the year 1978, and by 2004, it emerged into one of the most successful conglomerates of India-making Sahara India the second largest employer in India after the Indian Railways. After two decades, Sahara India Pariwar touched new heights, and Subrata Roy was featured in the list of ‘10 Most Powerful People of India’. Additionally, the Sahara group expanded its operations in more than 5,000 establishments across the country-employing a workforce of around 1.4 million under the Sahara India Pariwars umbrella.
Subrata Roy Sahara was born in a middle-class family on Thursday, 10 June 1948 (age 73 years; as of 2021) in Araria, Bihar. He completed his elementary schooling at Holy Child School, Kolkata. Subrata Roy Sahara did his graduation in mechanical engineering from the Government Technical Institute, Gorakhpur.
Height: 5′ 10″
Weight (approx.): 75 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Subrata Roy was born in a Bengali Hindu family.
Subrata Roy Sahara is the son of Smt. Chhabi Roy and Late Shri Sudhir Chandra Roy.
Wife & Children
He is married to Swapna Roy. She is also working as the Dy. Managing Worker (personnel and welfare). Subrata Roy Sahara has two sons namely Sushanto Roy and Seemanto Roy.
Subrata Roy practices Hinduism.
In 1978, Subrata Roy joined Sahara Finance, and took the charge of the company in his own hands after two years. In the 1990s, he moved to Lucknow which later became the base of the conglomerate. The same year, Subrata Roy launched – Sahara City project covering 217 self-sufficient townships. Sahara’s domain has now been expanded to financial services, real estate, media, entertainment, tourism, health care, and hospitality. Subrata Roy launched Sahara TV which was later renamed as ‘Sahara One’ in 2000. Presently, Sahara India has 9 crore plus investors and depositors which represent around 13 per cent of households in India. In 2019, Sahara launched its own electric vehicle (EVs) brand named ‘Sahara Evols’ along with another advanced allied service.
- Subrata Roy Sahara is the proud recipient of Karmaveer Samman (1995), Udyamshree (1994), Baba-ERozgar (1992), and Noble Citizen Award (1986).
- He has received the Best Industrialist Award and Businessmen of the Year Award in 2002.
- Subrata Roy has also received Global Leadership Award in 2004.
- The businessman has been awarded ITA – TV Icon of the year 2007.
- In 2011, Subrata Roy received the ‘Business Icon of the Year award’ at Power brands Hall of Fame Awards in London.
- In 2012, he was listed in the ‘10 most influential businessmen in India’ by the news magazine India Today.
- “Shanti, Sukh: Santushti”, Essays on peace of mind and happy living. (1994).
- “Maan, Samman, Atmasamman”
- “Life Mantras” (February 2016).
- “Think With Me” (December 2016).
- Subrata Roy’s net worth is approximately $ 200,000.
- Subrata Roy used to sell salted snacks on his Lambretta scooter at the beginning of his career.
- He started the journey of Sahara with just 3 workers in 1978, by 2014, Sahara became the second largest employer of India.
- Subrata Roy started Sahara India as a single establishment in Gorakhpur.
- He provided financial aid to 127 families of Kargil martyrs.
- Sahara India remained the official sponsor of the Indian Cricket Team for the longest run from 2002 to 2013.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Question: Where is Subrata Roy right now?
Answer: Subrata Roy is in Sahara Estate, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh.”
- Question: Is Sahara returning investors’ money?
Answer: YES, due to chaos Sahara’s payment was delayed but it will be returned.”
- Question: Is investing money in Sahara safe?
Answer: YES, but read the policies carefully.”
- Question: Why did Sahara India fail?
Answer: Sahara never failed, the operations stopped earlier due to some policies but now the services have been restored and operating well.”