Kunal Kohli is an Indian film director, producer, actor, and writer who works in Hindi films. He owns a film production house ‘Kunal Kohli Productions.’
Kunal Kohli aka Kunal Kumar Kohli was born on Wednesday, 28 October 1970 (age 51 years; as of 2022). His zodiac sign is Scorpio. He did his schooling at the Cathedral and John Connon School, Fort, Mumbai.
Height (approx.): 5′ 11″
Hair Colour: Brown
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Parents & Siblings
His father’s name is Shiv Kohli, and his mother’s name is Yash Kohli.
His sister’s name is Nandini Mankar.
Wife & Children
Kunal Kohli is married to Ravina Kohli. The couple adopted a daughter and named her Radha Kohli.
Kunal Kohli follows Hinduism. He discussed spirituality and a guiding divine force that is always with each one of us. He shared that while filming his film Fanaa, he had a specific vision for how things should be, but encountered some challenges along the way. However, everything turned out well and in his favor. The Times of India
In the year 1990, Kunal Kohli began his journey as a director with the Hindi film ‘Trikon.’
Kunal directed the TV series Hiccups and Hookups in 2021. The show streamed on Liongates Play and is a remake of the American comedy-drama Casual.
He was the host of the Indian Television show ‘Chalo Cinema’ This show was aired on Zee TV. Kunal Kohli was the host of the Stardust Award Night in 2007. His co-host was Amrita Arora in the award ceremony.
In 2005, Kunal Kohli judged the famous reality dance TV show Nach Baliye aired on Star Plus. He judged the children’s reality show ‘Chota Packet Bada Dhamaka’ in 2008. In April 2014, he judged a talent hunt show ‘Ticket to Bollywood.’ The show was aired on the NDTV Prime television channel.
Kunal Kohli has directed a few music videos which include ‘Mera Laung Gawacha’ (1991) by Bally Sagoo, ‘Jaana’ (1998) by Kamaal Khan, ‘Tere Bin Jeena Nahin’ (1997) by Bali Brahmbhatt, ‘Jaane Kisne’ (1997) by Shiamak Davar, ‘Bole Humse Kuch Na Gori’ (1970) by Hema Sardesai, and ‘Ye Hai Prem’ (1998) by Rajshri’s Music.
In 1990, Kunal Kohli started his career as a film critic.
In 1990, Kunal Kohli started working as a director with the Hindi film ‘Trikon.’ He has directed various Hindi films like ‘Mujhse Dosti Karoge!’ (2002), ‘Hum Tum’ (2004), ‘Fanaa’ (2006), ‘Thoda Pyaar Thoda Magic’ (2008), and ‘Teri Meri Kahaani’ (2012).
Kunal released a spy thriller film ‘Lahore Confidential’ in February 2021. The film premiered on the OTT platform ZEE5.
In 2018, he directed the Telugu film ‘Next Enti.’
In 2010, Kunal Kohli worked as a producer in the Hindi film ‘Break Ke Baad.’ Danish Aslam directed this charming story, featuring Deepika Padukone and Imran Khan in the lead roles. Their on-screen chemistry captivated the audience.
Kunal Kohli wrote the films namely ‘Mujhse Dosti Karoge’ (2002), ‘Hum Tum’ (2004), ‘Thoda Pyaar Thoda Magic’ (2008), ‘Teri Meri Kahaani’ (2012), and ‘Phir Se’ (2018).
Kunal Kohli made his acting debut with the Hindi film ‘Phir Se’ in 2015. He played the role of Jai Khanna in the film. It was the first Indian film that was released on a global streaming platform.
Accused of Copyright Violation
Jyoti Kapoor, a famous scriptwriter and director, accused Kunal Kohli of shamelessly copying her script for the movie ‘Phir Se.’ The accusation was significant because Kohli, as both the director and a writer, was involved in a copyright infringement controversy. Despite this, Kohli tried to justify himself by mentioning his collaborations with other writers, Renuka Kunzru and Shibani Bathija, with no problems. However, the Supreme Court, the highest judicial authority, recognized similarities between Kapoor’s script and the plot of ‘Phir Se,’ supporting her claims. The Supreme Court has ruled that Kunal Kohli must pay a compensation of 25 Lakhs and give credit to the film story. This entire matter was resolved after an eight-month legal battle. Deccan Chronicle
- 2004: Filmfare Award for Best Director for the film ‘Hum Tum’
- 2005: Global Film Award for Best Dialogues for the film ‘Hum Tum’
He got a tattoo of his daughter’s name in Hindi on his forearm.
- Actor: Aamir Khan
- Actress: Kajol
- Holiday Destinations: Delhi, Kashmir
- Kunal Kohli lost 18 Kg for the Bollywood film ‘Phir Se.’
- Kunal Kohli prefers traditional theatres over any OTT platform. He believes that in OTT platforms, creativity gets severely curtailed. In an interview, Kunal said,
In a film, you set about making something in your vision. With OTTs, you are executing another person’s vision to the best of your abilities. The platforms believe they know their audiences and they do not want to drift away from that.”
- In 2017, Kunal Kohli was captivated by the beautiful artworks displayed at the famous Kala Ghoda Arts Festival.
- During an interview with Shah Rukh Khan in 2014, Kunal Kohli was asked about the last Hindi film that he disliked. He revealed that the last Hindi film he disliked was Delhi 6. When asked why, he stated that he wasn’t a fan of the Kalabandar theme in the movie. YouTube – Bollywood Hungama
- During an interview, Kunal Kohli expressed his enjoyment in working on the film ‘Hum Tum.’ He also acknowledged that he cannot fulfil both the roles of a film critic and a film director simultaneously because it would be difficult to justify both positions.
- In an interview, Kunal Kohli spoke highly of Kajol, describing her as an optimistic individual who can bring positivity to any situation.