Aditi Govitrikar is an Indian actress, supermodel, psychologist, philanthropist and a doctor who is best known for her work as a psychologist. She has proved helpful in transforming people’s lives and has inspired many through her chat shows and campaigns.
Aditi Govitrikar was born on Tuesday, 21 May 1974 (age 46 years; as of 2020) in Panvel, Bombay. She completed her schooling at Barns High School in Panvel, Mumbai. She had a keen interest in studies, and she chose to pursue MBBS from The Grant Medical College, Mumbai. Aditi holds multiple degrees as she has done a Masters in Psychology from Indira Gandhi National Open University, Positive Psychology from Harvard University, Post Grad in Counselling from Tata Institute of Social Sciences and did Master of Liberal Arts (ALM), Psychology, from Harvard University Extension School. LinkedIn Along with academics, she also developed an interest in modelling and later pursued acting and modelling as her career. She mainly gathered attention in this field after winning the Gladrags Mega Model Contest in 1996, and the best body and face awards at the Asian Super Model Contest in 1997. She is considered to be the only Indian supermodel who is a doctor and has attained the qualifications of a psychologist also. She has been titled as ‘Beauty With Brains’ by Business Today magazine.
Eye Colour: Natural Green
Hair Colour: Dark Brown
Family & Caste
Aditi comes from a Chitpavan Brahmin family of Central and South Asian descent. IMDb Before marriage, Aditi was a Hindu but after getting married to a Muslim boy, she changed her name to Sara Lakdawala, thus converting her religion into Islam. Orissa Post
Parents & Siblings
She has one younger sister, who is a model, television and film actress, and one brother, Alpan Govitrikar. In 2019, her father passed away after a chronic sickness. He was on a ventilator and was admitted at the Panvel hospital in Maharashtra where he later died.
Relationships, Husband & Children
Aditi, while in college, met Muffazal Lakdawala who was also pursuing MBBS at The Grant Medical College, Mumbai. He was a Muslim, and they dated for seven years. Later, they got married to each other in 1998. After changing her name to Sara Lakdawala, she still continued with her name Aditi in the entertainment industry. The couple went on to have two children together, one daughter, Kiara, and one son, Zhiaan. In 2009, the couple got divorced as their relationship did not prove to be fruitful; however, they didn’t disclose much about the reason behind their divorce. According to Aditi, it was a rough and unpleasant time for her. Later, Muffazal decided to marry again, and he went on to have a second marriage with Priyanka Kaul in Goa in March 2011. He has three children from Priyanka Kaul.
She lives in an apartment in Bandra, Mumbai.
She further did multiple movies such as De Dana Dhan (2009), Paheli (2005), 16th December (2002), and Bheja fry 2 (2011). These movies helped her gain more popularity.
- Title of ‘Gladrags Mrs India’ held in Mumbai, India (2000)
- ‘Rajeev Gandhi Award’ under the ‘National Personality of the Year’ category (2001)
- Title of ‘Mrs. World’ held in Las Vegas, Nevada, United States (2001)
- PETA Humanitarian Award (Humanitarian of the Year)
- Kingfisher Model of the decade award (Model of the Decade)
- Award for ‘Maharashtra Ratna’ under the ‘State Personality of the Year’ category
- Titled as ‘Partner for Pride of the Nation’ award for the Leaders in Women Empowerment Principles category by 12th Edition Asian Business & Social Forum (2019).
Note: She has many more awards and accolades to her name.
In 2009, in Big Boss season 3, Aditi Govitrikar and Tanaaz Currim embarrassed Raju Shrivastav at a pool party in the Big Boss house by pulling down his shorts. This act was criticised a lot in the media. India Today
- Film: Munna Bhai M.B.B.S. (2003)
- Aditi is the first and only Indian to achieve the title of Mrs World.
- She endorsed various International and many well-known brands such as Coca-Cola, Chopard, Fendi, Harry Winston, Phillips, Eureka Forbes, Shopper’s Stop, and many more.
- In 1997, she was cast as the leading lady in music videos such as ‘Kabhi to Nazar Milao’ by Adnan Sami and Asha Bhosle, and in 2000, ‘Aaeena’ by Jagjit Singh
- Aditi earnestly promotes PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) and in 2000, she campaigned for the same through a photoshoot titled ‘Let Vegetarianism Grow On You’ in which she was seen carrying a form-fitting gown made of lettuce created by ace fashion designer Hemant Trivedi. She strictly follows a vegetarian diet and even considers non-vegetarian food ailing for human health. IMDb While discussing diet, Aditi said,
Being a doctor, as well as a model, I know that eating veg is the first and most important ingredient in keeping fit. If you eat chicken or other meat, you’re consuming toxins, fat, and cholesterol. Veg food is powered with all the vitamins and protein you need to be at your best.”
- She is an animal lover and has a pet dog at her house.
- Despite being an actress and a model, Aditi has never sidelined her medical career, and she kept pursuing her further studies from various colleges and universities in India and abroad. With her educational qualifications, Aditi wanted to contribute to society, and so far, she has done many campaigns and chat shows to educate people about their mental health. Later, she started with her own channel on YouTube “Lighthouse Counselling Centre” where the youngsters and couples can discuss their individual issues and to empower them to deal with their future struggles and problems. Thereafter, she started appearing in a chat show “Dr A Talks on Instagram Live,” every day at 6 pm on InstagrmLive where various celebrity guests joined her and discussed their problems. Moreover, she has conducted workshops in various villages and towns in India focusing on mental and physical wellbeing. According to her, this has proved beneficial to many people as they have overcome depression and anxiety through talking and following her guidance.
Hello all.. Hope we're all doing well? I'm thrilled to announce my #DrAtalks guest for today – the very quirky, witty, well-known Indian #actor, #comedian, #mimicry artist, RJ & VJ @sureshnmenon.
Lots of fun awaits! LIVE on #Instagram at 6 PM Today.. See you there! #SureshMenon pic.twitter.com/uhCypIkV79
— Dr Aditi Govitrikar (@aditigovitrikar) December 19, 2020
- In September 2020, Aditi was tested positive for COVID-19 as she had organised a get together on 27 August 2020 at her house in Bandra. Arjun Kapoor and Malaika Arora were also said to be present at the house party. Later, they both were found affected with the virus. Aditi’s apartment was also sealed by the BMC. She had a mild body ache and quarantined herself at home.