Freida Pinto is an Indian actress who mainly works in American and British films. She rose to prominence with her debut film “Slumdog Millionaire.”
Freida Pinto was born on Thursday, 18 October 1984 (age 37 years; as of 2021) in Mumbai. Her zodiac sign is Libra.
She did her schooling from Mumbai’s Carmel of St. Joseph School and went to St. Xavier’s College to pursue a degree in Arts with a major in English literature, and minor in Psychology and Economics. She developed an interest in acting at an early age and often dressed up like actresses and imitated them in her childhood. In 1994, after watching the victory of Sushmita Sen in Miss Universe, Freida made a firm decision about pursuing acting as her career. While in college, she actively participated in the theatre. She declined acting and modelling assignments until her graduation; as she wanted to complete her graduation before starting her career. After completing her graduation, Freida joined Elite Model Management India and worked there as a model for almost two and a half years.
Height (approx.): 5’ 5”
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Hazel Brown
Freida Pinto belongs to a Mangalorean Catholic Family.
Parents & Siblings
Her father, Frederick Pinto is a Senior Branch Manager in Bank of Baroda. Her mother, Sylvia Pinto is a principal at St. John’s Universal School, Goregaon, Mumbai. She has an elder sister, Sharon Pinto, who works as a news producer at NDTV.
Husband & Children
In October 2021, Freida revealed that she got married to her fiancé Cory Tran during the Covid-19 lockdown. On 21 October 2021, she appeared on The Kelly Clarkson Show in which she talked about her marriage. She said,
I should clear the air. I wasn’t planning a big fat Indian wedding. It was just going to be something pretty and simple… But then Covid happened and it’s still happening and we just realized we were going to be planning this for the rest of our lives and probably never doing it.”
In October 2021, she became the mother of a baby boy named Rumi-Ray.
Freida had been in a relationship with Rohan Antao (who was her publicist at one point in time) since 2003 and the duo got engaged in December 2007. The couple called off their engagement in 2009, after the success of Pinto’s film “Slumdog Millionaire.” During an interview, She revealed,
I was engaged to actor Rohan Antao, but we broke up at the end of last year. Things happen and you have to learn to deal with them.”
In 2009, Freida got into a relationship with her Slumdog Millionaire co-star, Dev Patel. They dated each other for around 6 years and subsequently, called off their relationship.
Pinto, then dated Ronnie Bacardi (Polo Player) for a while.
In 2017, Freida started dating a photographer, Cory Tran. The couple got engaged to each other in 2019.
Freida started her career as a model by featuring in the TV commercials of brands like “Skoda,” “Airtel,” “Vodafone India,” “Wrigley’s Chewing Gum,” and “eBay.” Simultaneously, she started giving auditions for various TV shows and films. In 2006, she got selected to host the international travel show “Full Circle,” which was aired on Zee International Asia Pacific. During the show, Pinto travelled across the world including Fiji, Afghanistan, Thailand, Malaysia, and Singapore.
Subsequently, she auditioned for many Bollywood and Hollywood films but did not get selected in any of them. In 2007, she, along with six other models, was referred by her modelling agency to audition for the role of the female lead in the British drama “Slumdog Millionaire.” Freida bagged the role in the film opposite Dev Patel.
Next, she acted in “You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger,” a comedy-drama by Woody Allen. In 2010, she appeared in the film “Miral.” Thereafter, she starred in films like “Rise of the Planet of the Apes,” “Trishna,” “Day of the Falcon,” and “Immortals.”
In 2013, Freida featured in Bruno Mars’ music video “Gorilla.” She was criticised by the Indian media for appearing in the video. In the same year, Pinto appeared in the documentary film ‘Girl Rising.’ Next, she featured in the film “Desert Dancer.” In 2018, Freida appeared in the Indian drama “Love Sonia” alongside Mrunal Thakur.
View this post on Instagram
Small clip from #DesertDancer – "You can spend your whole life trying to perfect your technique, but you only make a difference when you discover your own secret language. That's when you start communicating, connecting. Dance can be anything, just waving goodbye or kneeling down to pray. Or raising your fist in the air because you believe in something."
Freida has also featured on the covers of various magazines like “ELLE India” and “Vanity Fair.”
As a Philanthropist
In 2012, Freida joined Plan International’s “Because I am a Girl” campaign as Global Ambassador, promoting gender equality to lift millions of girls out of poverty. In 2013, she appeared in a video clip for Gucci’s “Chime for Change” campaign to raise funds and create awareness of women’s issues in terms of education, health, and justice. In April 2013, she collaborated with the UN Secretary-General, Ban-Ki-Moon and World Bank President, Jim Yong Kim for the Call to Action “Girl Rising” campaign. In July 2014, she spoke at the Girl Summit in London, where she called for more progress towards the end of female genital mutilation and child marriage. In February 2016, she joined “We Do It Together;” a nonprofit organization. This organization offers finance for documentaries, films, and TV series that promote women empowerment.
- In 2011, Freida’s lighter skin tone in L’Oreal Paris’ advertisement sparked controversy as people thought it to be racial discrimination. While the cosmetic brand denied the allegations and claimed that the ‘fairness’ came from the lighting effect of the product, Pinto said that she believes otherwise.
- In 2017, Freida was reduced to tears after facing criticism for her casting in the British TV series Guerilla. It so happened that during a special screening event of the show, a live panel confronted her over the “erasure” of black women in her show. Reportedly, she was said to have become upset on the stage as the makers of the show were accused by the people present at the event of ‘black erasure,’ and they claimed that Freida failed to properly represent the black women in the show. INDEPENDENT
- Breakthrough Performance Award at the Palm Springs International Film Festival for Slumdog Millionaire (2008)
- Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture at Screen Actors Guild Awards for Slumdog Millionaire (2008)
- Food: Vada Pav, Roast Chicken Curry, Mangalorean Seafood, Paani Puri, Sevpuri
- Dessert(s): Dark Chocolates, Rasmalai
- Actor(s): Jack Nicholson, Johnny Depp, Ranbir Kapoor
- Fashion Designer(s): Varun Bahl, Salvatore Ferragamo
- Perfume(s): Coco Chanel, Jo Malone, Wild Fig & Cassis, Jo Malon
- Workout(s): Yoga, Cardio, Swimming, Pilates, Stretching
- Holiday Destination(s): India (North West Parts, especially Kashmir)
- Novel: Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling
- Colour(s): Orange, Green, Pink
- Bag Brand(s): Lady Dior, Chanel Bandana
- Her hobbies include watching movies, listening to music, playing tennis, and reading books.
- She is a trained Salsa and Indian Classical dancer.
- Freida has learned acting from Barry John’s acting school in Mumbai.
- Frieda is good friends with the Indian-American actor, Siddharth Mallya.
- Although she always wanted to make a career in the acting field, she wasn’t sure which path to follow on to achieve her dreams until watching the film “Monster” in 2003. She said in an interview that
I guess it was when I watched Monster … I pretty much knew. I had to find a way. I had to do something like that, something completely transformational.”
- Pinto revealed on the sets of ‘Koffee with Karan’ that she had auditioned for the role of one of the hockey players in the film ‘Chak De! India,’ but she couldn’t do it as the shooting for her film ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ was going on at the same time.
- Freida revealed during an interview that she had been rejected for the Indian commercials many times as the makers felt that she did not look Indian.
- In 2009, Freida was featured in People Magazine’s “Most Beautiful People List” and “World’s Best Dressed Women List.”
- In the same year, she was included in Vogue’s list of the “Top Ten Most Stylish Women.”
- During an interview, Freida confessed that she didn’t like to look at herself in the mirror. She said,
It’s not necessarily the way I see myself. In fact, I don’t even like to look at myself in the mirror. But I’m aware of the perception and I always say that if it’s because of that one line in ‘Slumdog…’ where Latika is described as ‘the most beautiful girl in the world’, then I have to do everything that I can to change that perception.”
- She is an avid dog lover and often shares her pictures with dogs through her Instagram account.