Naseem Shah is a Pakistani cricketer, who is a right-arm-medium pace bowler in Pakistan national cricket team. In 2020, Naseem became the youngest bowler to take a hat-trick in a Test match; He achieved the feat against Bangladesh in Rawalpindi, Pakistan. France 24
Naseem Abbas Shah was born on Saturday, 15 February 2003 (age 19 years; as of 2022) in Mayar Jandool, Lower Dir, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan. His zodiac sign is Aquarius. Inclined towards sports from a young age, Naseem always wanted to represent his country (Pakistan) in cricket. He began playing cricket at a young age in his village. Naseem studied up to class 10, and his father wanted him to go abroad for work. Geo News
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Naseem Shah belongs to a Muslim Family. Instagram-Naseem Shah
Parents & Siblings
Naseem’s father’s name is Haji Muzaffar Shah. His mother died of a heart arrest in 2019. He has two sisters and four brothers. His younger brother Hunain Shah is also a cricketer and plays for Pakistan at the Under-19 level. One of his brothers’ names is Saleem Shah.
Nasim Shah made his Test match debut in Domestic cricket for Zarai Taraqiati Bank Limited against Lahore B in the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy on 1 September 2018.
In the same year, on 16 October, Naseem made his ODI debut for Zarai Taraqiati Bank Limited against Pakistan TV in the 2018–19 Quaid-e-Azam One Day Cup. In September 2019, Naseem played for Central Punjab in the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy tournament. In October 2019, he played for Central Punjab in the National T20 Cup, marking his T20 debut. In 2022, he was selected by the Gloucestershire County Cricket Club to play in a domestic tournament during the 2022 season in England.
However, he walked out of the tournament as he suffered a shoulder injury in his first match of the tournament. Later, he was signed by Welsh Fire for the 2022 season of The Hundred in England.
Domestic and Franchise Teams, he plays for include:
- Central Punjab (Pakistan)
- Quetta Gladiators
- St Kitts & Nevis Patriots
- Welsh Fire (Men)
- Zarai Taraqiati Bank Limited
- Gloucestershire County Cricket Club
Naseem Shah made his international debut in Test cricket for Pakistan on 21 November 2019 against Australia in Brisbane, Australia. In the match, he dismissed David Warner for his first Test wicket. Before making his debut, he played a three-day warm-up match for Pakistan against Australia A. Subsequently, he was selected in Pakistan’s Test squad for the two-match series against Sri Lanka.
In the second match of the series, he took his first five-wicket haul in Test cricket, becoming the youngest fast bowler to do so. Naseem was then named in Pakistan’s squad for the 2020 Under-19 Cricket World Cup. However, his name was removed from the list owing to his spectacular performance in Test cricket. In May 2020, Naseem received a central contract from the Pakistan Cricket Board. In the same year, he played for Pakistan against England. Naseem was also a part of Pakistan’s Test Squad for their tour to New Zealand and Sri Lanka. Naseem made his One Day International debut for Pakistan on 16 August 2022. The match was played against the Netherlands in Rotterdam, Netherlands. He played his T20 International debut match against India on 28 August 2022 in Dubai.
During the 2022 Asia Cup, Naseem Shah in a match against Afghanistan, delivered two back-to-back sixes in the final over, qualifying Pakistan for the finals.
- 9th youngest player to make their debut in the Test cricket
- 2nd youngest bowler (youngest pace bowler) to take a five-wicket haul in a Test match
- Youngest bowler to take a hat-trick in a Test match
One Day International
- 9th Youngest player to take five wickets in an innings
- Cricketer(s): Wasim Akram, Umar Gul
- Beverage: Tea
- Colour: Green
- He is a right-hand batsman and a right-arm fast bowler.
- In 2019, he made his International Test debut in Brisbane, a day after the death of his mother. During an interview, while talking about his mother’s demise, Naseem said,
When I went for my international debut, the night before that match the team management came to me and told me that my mother has passed away. I just fainted at that moment and I was unable to understand that what actually happened. I tried my best to attend my mother’s funeral but unfortunately I could not as I was far away from my homeland.”
- During a media conversation, Naseem’s father revealed that his family, including him, never supported Naseem in his career choice. He said,
I beat Naseem many times for playing cricket, asking him to focus on his studies instead. None of us supported Naseem, only his brother would secretly give him money.”
In the same interview, his father revealed that Naseem was very close to his mother. He said,
When his mother was alive, he used to say that one day I will play for Pakistan. We used to laugh saying how will a man from Dir join the Pakistan team. He thinks of her and cries a lot. He says if mother was here, she would have been very happy to see me in the Pakistan kit.”
- Besides cricket, Naseem loves to play football.
- Naseem’s jersey number is 71.
- He is a fitness enthusiast and works out daily to maintain his fitness.
- In September 2022, during the Asia Cup, the Indian actress Urvashi Rautela shared a video clip on her Instagram account in which Rautela and Naseem Shah were smiling at each other during the match and romantic music was playing in the background. The video went viral on the internet and during a media interaction when Naseem was asked about it, he gave a hilarious answer that he had no clue who Urvashi Rautela was. He said,
Smile toh aapke question pe aa rha hei (I am smiling at your question.) I don’t know who Urvashi Rautela is. I only focus on my match. People usually send me videos but I have no idea. I have nothing special in me but I thank people who come to watch cricket and give a lot of respect.”
- During the Asia cup 2022, Naseem helped his country win a match against Afghanistan by hitting two back-to-back sixes on the first two balls of the final over. In a post-match media conversation, when the former Indian head coach Ravi Shastri complimented him on his bowling, Naseem said,
Bowling toh achi rahi hai lekin I think ab sab bhul gaye ki main bowler bhi hoon (laughs).”
Further adding that he had a belief that he could smash big hits, Shah said,
Jab mai batting pr aya tha to mujhe believe tha ki mai chakke toh maar skta hoon kyuki mai practice to krta hoon. Mujhe ye pata tha ki vo kosish krenge ki mujhe yorker kare, aur maine kosish ki aur allah ne laga diye (When I came out to bat I know that I can hit sixes because I had practiced. I already knew their plan was to bowl yorkers, so I tried going bat and by God’s grace it clicked).”
- In 2022, amid the devastating floods in Pakistan, Naseem Shah decided to auction the bat that he used to hit two sixes against Afghanistan during the 2022 Asia Cup; he decided to use the proceeds of the same to provide relief to the flood victims. Talking about it in a video (which he shared on Twitter), Naseem said,
This bat is very precious for me but [keeping in view] the situation in the wake of floods in Pakistan, I am giving it to Shahid Afridi Foundation because Lala always helps the destitute and deserving people whenever there is a hard time.”