Amrik Singh, better known as Mika Singh, is an Indian pop singer and Rapper. He came into the spotlight with his Punjabi song ‘Sawan Main Lag Gayi Aag.’ He is the younger brother of the Punjabi singer, Daler Mehandi.
Mika Singh was born on 10 June 1977 (age 42 years; as in 2019) in Durgapur, West Bengal. His zodiac sign is Gemini. His family has its roots in Punjab. Mika’s father, who used to do Keertans, sold his property in Punjab and shifted to Patna to learn music.
Being brought up in a family of Gurbani singers, Mika had a deep interest in music from a young age. He started playing the Tabla when he was just 8 years old. At the age of 12, he learned the Harmonium and two years later, he began playing the Guitar. He was raised up in Patna, Bihar, and Patiala along with his brothers. At the age of 15, Mika moved to Delhi and started his career as a Kirtan (religious) singer. He, then, composed the song “Dar Di Rabb Rabb Kardi” for his brother, Daler Mehandi. The song became a super hit. Mika then started visiting various studios with a desire to sing. Many directors readily agreed to listen to his voice because he was Daler Mehandi’s brother but they rejected him after listening to his unconventional voice. After facing rejection from a number of music directors, Singh decided to launch his own music album.
Height (approx.): 5’ 6”
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Girlfriend
Mika Singh belongs to a Sikh Family. His father, Late Ajmer Singh Chandan, was a musician and farmer and his mother, Balbir Kaur, is a former State-level wrestler. He has five brothers and is the youngest of them all. His brother, Daler Mehandi, is a Punjabi singer and his brother, Shamsher Mehandi, was a music director, who passed away in October 2017. Times Of India His brother, Amarjeet Singh, died in October 2018.
In April 2020, he shared a post along with a few photos on his social media accounts. In the photos, he was seen along with the actress Chahatt Khanna. The post went viral on social media, and speculations that Mika and Chahatt were in a relationship, became hipe. Later, the actress cleared the air and said that it was for the promotion of their single “Quarantine Love.” Hindustan Times
Mika Singh started his singing career in 2008 with the Punjabi song “Saawan Mein Lag Gayi Aag” which made him an overnight star. Subsequently, he launched his albums “Gabru,” “Dunali,” “Something Something,” and “Ishq Brandy.” In 2006, he made his Bollywood singing debut by singing the song ‘Dil Tod Ke Na Ja (Remix)’ from the film “Pyaar Ke Side Effects.” Thereafter, he has lent his voice to many super hit songs including “Mauja Hi Mauja,” “Singh Is Kinng,” “Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye!,” “Dil Bole Hadippa,” “Jugni,” “Dhink Chika,” and “Gandi Baat.” He has also sung various songs in Punjabi, Marathi, Bengali, Telugu, and Kannada.
Mika has judged the music show “Music Ka Maha Muqqabla” and mentored the music reality show “The Voice India.” Singh has also tried his hands in acting with the Punjabi Films “Mitti, “Wrath Kapoor,” “Loot,” and “Balwinder Singh Famous Ho Gaya.”
- Mika kissed Rakhi Sawant on the occasion of his 35th birthday party after which Rakhi filed a molestation case against him.
- In 2014, Mika was charged for a hit-and-run case after knocking down an auto rickshaw causing serious injuries to the passenger. However, the singer later clarified that he wasn’t driving the car.
- In 2015, Mika again grabbed headlines after he slapped a doctor at a live concert in Delhi.
- The Bollywood singer, Sonu Nigam, filed a case against Mika for using his images without his consent. Sonu later won the case.
- In December 2018, he was arrested by the UAE authorities with a charge of sexual harassment as he allegedly sent some inappropriate content to a 17-year-old Brazilian girl through his Whatsapp.
- He again landed into a controversy after he decided flaunted the lipstick mark on his cheeks through Twitter saying that it was given to him by Bipasha Basu during the TV show ‘Comedy Nights With Kapil.’ However, later the singer admitted that it was Dadi who kissed him in the show, not Bipasha.
- Mika Singh, along with his brother Daler Mehandi, got embroiled in a case that involved sending people out of India illegally.
- Mika also offended his co-guest, Kanika Kapoor, by calling Kanika his wife and Chris Gayle‘s ‘bhabhi.’ However, he later pacified the situation by saying “Main Chris ko sikha raha hoon. Aap bura mat maaniye.”
- All India Cine Workers Association (AICWA), on 13 August 2019, banned him from the Indian film industry for performing at an event organized by former Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf’s close relative in Karachi, Pakistan. The film association said-
When the tension between the countries is at the peak, Mika Singh puts money above the nation’s pride.”
Mika’s net worth is estimated to be $5 million. He charges around Rs. 15 lakh for a song.
- Actor: Salman Khan
- Actress: Mahira Khan (Pakistani)
- Food: Mutton Nalli Nihari and Reshmi Kebab
- Colour: Black
- His hobbies include singing and travelling.
- He follows a non-vegetarian diet.
- Initially, he wanted to be a music director.
- Mika is the first singer who has lent his voice to five actors in a song.
- He self-composed the patriotic song, Vande Mataram, and dedicated it to Mother India at an exclusive show for the Indian Army.
- He runs an NGO under the name “Divine Touch” which is inspired by her mother as she always wanted to help the poor and needy.
- Mika is a huge fan of Badshah‘s rapping style. He loves his rapping in the song “Baby Doll.”
- He shares a great bond with the singer and rapper, Honey Singh. Mika even gifted him a Harley Davidson bike worth Rs. 14 lakh to Singh for singing a song for his album.
- Mika was banned from entering the Punjab University, Chandigarh in 2009 as he passed some filthy comments at a girl during his show in the campus fest.
- When Mika appeared on MTV Beats’ show “Secret Side,” he said that although Arijit has sung the “Channa Mereya” song very well, he would have sung it better than Arijit if he was given a chance.
- He is very fond of animals and has 18 pet dogs, 2 camels, and 2 horses.
References [ + ]
|1.||↑||Times Of India|