Chandrani Murmu is an Indian politician. She is from the Biju Janata Dal (BJD). In the 2019 General Elections, she contested, and she won her first elections ever. She is the youngest Member of Parliament in India in 2019, at the age of 25.
Chandrani Murmu was born on 16 June 1994 (age 25 years; as in 2019) in Tikargumura Village, Odisha. Her zodiac sign is Gemini. She did her schooling from a local school of Keonjhar, Odisha. She then pursued her B.Tech. from the Institute of Technical Education & Research (ITER), Bhubaneshwar in 2017. After completing her B.Tech, she was searching for a job as a mechanical engineer but was not able to find any. After a year of searching for a job, she decided to apply for government jobs. She applied as a Probationary Officer in banks, and as an Assistant Section Officer in the Government of Odisha.
Once while her uncle, Harmohan Soren, was visiting, he suggested her to join politics, and contest the 2019 General Elections from the Keonjhar Constituency. She took this as a joke and did not think much about it. The next day, her uncle told her that he was serious, and there is a good chance that she could win; so, she agreed. Her uncle was a retired man and a social worker. He knew many members of the BJD. He set up a meeting with the Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, and they both met him on 1 April 2019.
Height: 5′ 4″ (approx.)
Weight: 55 kg (approx.)
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Family & Caste
Chandrani Murmu belongs to the Scheduled Tribe Community. Her father, Sanjeeb Murmu, is a government officer. Her mother, Urvashi, is a retired employee of the Odisha Government. Not much is known about her family.
Chandrani Murmu joined the BJD when she met the Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on 1 April 2019. On 2 April 2019, her name was announced as the BJD’s candidate from the Keonjhar Constituency for the 2019 Lok Sabha Elections. On 23 May 2019, she was announced as the winner from the Keonjhar Constituency, which made her the youngest Member of Parliament ever in India.
- On 6 April, members of the BJP blamed Chandrani of fraud. They revealed that her father’s name was different in her nomination papers than the name in his voter id card, and her college. Chandrani clarified that her father’s real name was Sanjeeb Murmu. His voter id mentions Sinha as it was in some official documents. She also clarified that Kartik Chandra Soren was her local guardian, and due to a clerical error, her local guardian was stated as her father.
- In April 2019, a morphed video, and some objectionable images of her surfaced online on WhatsApp and other social media platforms. She filed a police complaint, and the police arrested the accused. The police stated that the video and the images were fake. They were being circulated to harm Chandrani Murmu’s reputation.
Village Tikargumura, District Keonjhar, Odisha
Assets and Properties
- Cash: Rs. 20,000
- Bank Deposits: Rs. 4,000
- Jewellery: 100 gm Gold worth Rs. 3.20 Lacs
Salary & Net Worth
Salary: Rs. 1 Lac + Additional Allowances (as an MP)
Net Worth: Rs. 3.40 Lacs (as in 2019)
- Two months before the General Elections of 2019, she was searching for government jobs and had no connection with politics.
- Her grandfather, Harihar Soran, was in the Congress. He was an MP from the same constituency as her, Koenjhar Constituency, twice in 1980 and 1984. She believes that politics is in her blood because of her grandfather.
- She liked Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik, and she agreed to join politics only if she contests from the Biju Janata Dal (BJD).
- She did not have time to campaign in her entire constituency; as her name was announced at the last minute. She did not have even two months to campaign, and to visit every district.
- After the results were announced on 23 May 2019, she expressed that she felt like she was in a fairy tale. The Odisha CM, Naveen Patnaik, called upon all the winners from his party on 25th May 2019, and he congratulated them personally.