Atishi Marlena is an Indian politician associated with the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP). She had been a crucial part of AAP since its formation. She was AAP’s Lok Sabha candidate for the 2019 General Elections from the East-Delhi Constituency.
Atishi was born on 8 June 1981 (age 38 years; as in 2019) in New Delhi. Her zodiac sign is Gemini. She did her schooling from the Springdales School, New Delhi. She pursued Bachelors of Arts (History) from the St. Stephen’s College, New Delhi and Masters in History from the Oxford University, England in 2003. She was a topper in St. Stephen’s College and was awarded a Rhodes Scholarship when she passed out from Oxford University. Atishi joined the Magdalen College of Oxford University as a Rhodes Scholar in 2005.
After completing her college, she moved to Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh to teach English and History. She always had an interest in doing social work and worked with many NGO’s in Bhopal. Atishi took a keen interest in bringing a progressive education system to the villages and helping the kids get a better education. Atishi was intrigued with organic farming; she worked and promoted organic farming extensively. In Bhopal, she was introduced to many leaders of the Aam Aadmi Party.
In 2011, while Anna Hazare’s campaign was in full swing, Atishi observed the movement as an outsider. Once in an interview, she stated-
A single-issue movement could never be successful”
Height: 5′ 6″
Weight: 60 kg (approx.)
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Husband
Atishi Marlena was born in a Punjabi Rajput family. Her parents, Vijay Singh and Tripta Wahi, were Delhi University professors. Her real name is Atishi Singh. Her middle name is Marlena; which she adopted as her last name; as she did not want to be judged by her last name or caste but by the work she did. She is married to Pravin Singh.
Atishi joined the Aam Admi Party (AAP) in 2013. She was a crucial part in the formation of AAP; she was in the policy-making body of AAP. She was appointed as a member of the AAP’s Executive Body- The Political Affairs Committee. In the same year, she was appointed as the spokesperson of AAP.
In July 2015, Atishi was appointed as the Advisor to the Deputy CM of Delhi, Manish Sisodia, in the field of education. She proved herself to be quite effective and was praised for her ideas and policies on reforming the education system. She used to visit schools and interact with parents and teachers about how things can be improved.
In 2019, Atishi was appointed as the Lok Sabha in-charge from the East-Delhi Constituency for the 2019 General Elections. She was named as AAP’s candidate for the 2019 General Elections, from the East-Delhi Constituency against former Indian cricketer, Gautam Gambhir. She lost to Gautam Gambhir.
- In April 2018, the Lieutenant Governor of Delhi, Anil Baijal, removed Atishi along with 7 other people from their posts as Advisors. He stated- the Delhi Government did not seek permission before creating new posts and appointed advisors without informing the Centre or having its approval. AAP accused Anil Baijal of deliberately sacking Atishi and blamed the Centre for trying to suppress women.
- In May 2019, Atishi accused Gautam Gambhir of distributing pamphlets about Atishi containing insulting remarks about her. The pamphlet also included the names of Arvind Kejriwal and Manish Sisodia. In a press conference, she read the pamphlet and stated that Gautam Gambhir had these pamphlets distributed through newspapers directly to people’s homes. Gautam Gambhir denied these claims and challenged Kejriwal and Atishi that he would withdraw his candidature and quit politics if the charges against him are proved.
— Gautam Gambhir (@GautamGambhir) May 9, 2019
K-67, Jangpura Extension, New Delhi
Assets & Properties
Movable Assets: 65.04 Lacs INR
Cash: 50,000 INR
Bank Deposits: 46.60 Lacs INR
1.20 Crores INR (as in 2019)
- While campaigning for the 2019 Lok Sabha elections in Delhi, Atishi was often accompanied by the Bollywood actress Swara Bhaskar.
- Her name, Marlena, which is her middle name, is a mix of two names, Marx and Lenin.
- She dropped Marlena as her surname in 2018, as she claimed that BJP workers and leaders were misinforming people that Atishi was Christian. She even filed her nomination for the 2019 General Elections just as Atishi; without any surname.
- In May 2019, in a press conference, she read out a pamphlet which had been circulated about her in the East Delhi Constituency which contained derogatory remarks about her. While reading out the pamphlet, Atishi broke down and started to cry out loud. Manish Sisodia then took over and read out the rest of the pamphlet for the media.