Jagroop Singh Gill Facebook- Jagroop Gill, is an Indian advocate, agriculturist, social worker, and politician. In 2022, he became a Member of the Legislative Assembly (as a candidate of the Aam Aadmi Party) from the Bathinda Urban Assembly Constituency after defeating Manpreet Singh Badal (five-time MLA) by a margin of 63,581 votes. He was once a close aide of Manpreet Singh Badal.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Hair Colour: Salt & Pepper
Eye Colour: Brown
Parents & Siblings
Jagroop is the son of Pal Singh. Not much is known about his mother.
Wife & Children
He is married to Kuldip Kaur, who is an agriculturist and landlady by profession. The couple has a son, Harvinder Singh.
Jagroop Singh Gill resides at #Z-6, 17292, (House No. 30001 as per Epic) Main Gurukul Road, Gopal Nagar, Bathinda-151001.
Jagroop Singh Gill began his political career by joining the Indian National Congress in the 1970s. In 1979, he got elected as a councillor of the Bathinda Municipal Corporation for the first time. Subsequently, he won the elections for five consecutive terms, serving as the councillor of the Bathinda Municipal Corporation in 1989, 1992, 1997, 2008, and 2015.
In 2021, he continued his winning streak for the seventh time, winning the MC elections from ward no. 48 in Bathinda by 414 votes. With a clear majority, Jagroop Gill was the front-runner and the main contender for the post of Mayor in the Bathinda MC. However, he was overlooked and it became the reason for Jagroop’s exit from the Indian National Congress in August 2021.
Previously, he also held the posts of the Chairman of the Bathinda Improvement Trust, Chairman of the Bathinda District Planning Board, Vice-President and President of the Civic Body, and the President of the District Bar Association.
On 2 August 2021, Jagroop Singh Gill joined the Aam Aadmi Party in the presence of Harpal Singh Cheema, Jarnail Singh, Gurmeet Singh Meet Hayer, Baljinder Kaur, and Rupinder Kaur Ruby at the party office in Chandigarh.
During a press conference, Harpal Singh Cheema said that Jagroop’s entry in AAP was a shot in the arm for the party in the Malwa region. He said,
Gill has been the president of the District Bar Association as well as the president of the municipal council.”
In 2022, he contested the Legislative Assembly elections from the Bathinda Urban Assembly Constituency on a ticket from the Aam Aadmi Party. Jagroop won the elections after defeating Manpreet Singh Badal (Congress candidate) by a margin of 63,581 votes.
After his win, he addressed the media and said that instead of playing politics, he would work to strengthen the party. He also talked about bringing about a change in the city’s environment. He said,
My priority is to make Bathinda free from hooliganism and drugs. After a difference of clouds, there is no place for hooliganism in Bathinda now. If anyone commits hooliganism, they will be dealt with strictly.”
- Cash- Rs. 2,00,000
- Bank Deposits- Rs. 11,43,784
- Agricultural Land- Rs. 5,21,00,000
- Jagroop Singh Gill defeated the five-time MLA of the Congress party Manpreet Singh Badal by a margin of 63,581 votes. Reportedly, it was the highest-ever margin of victory from the Bathinda Urban seat according to the Election Commission of India (ECI). Hindustan Times
- In an interview, after winning the 2022 Legislative Assembly elections from the Bathinda Urban Constituency, Jagroop Singh said that it was his dream to build a park along the canal in Bathinda and it would now be fulfilled. He further said that the work for making the city green would start soon after the formation of the government.
- Jagroop once shared a great bond with Captain Amarinder Singh’s family.