Ajitpal Singh Kohli is an Indian politician who is known for being a member of the Aam Aadmi Party and winning the State Legislative Assembly Elections 2022 from the Patiala Assembly seat in Punjab on 10 March 2022.
Ajitpal Singh Kohli was born on Friday, 7 July 1978 (age 43 years; as of 2021) in Patiala, Punjab. His zodiac sign is Cancer. He attended the Yadavindra Public School, Patiala. He pursued an MA in political science at Punjabi University, Patiala. He also attended St. Stephen’s College, Delhi and pursued an MA in English in 2010. My Neta
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Ajitpal’s father’s name is Surjeet Singh Kohli, who was the senior vice-president of Akali Dal. His brother’s name is Gurjeet Singh.
His grandfather’s name is Sardara Singh Kohli, who was the MLA of SAD.
Wife & Children
He is married to Simrat Kaur, and the couple has two sons, Aryaman Kohli and Aamer Ajit Singh Kohli.
Ajitpal Singh Kohli started his political career by joining the Shiromani Akali Dal as his family had a history of working with the Shiromani Akali Dal. In 1997, his father served as the senior vice-president of Akali Dal, and his grandfather, Sardara Singh Kohli was the MLA of SAD. Ajitpal worked as the Mayor of Patiala from 2007 to 2012. In January 2022, he joined the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP), and on 10 March 2022, he won the Patiala Assembly seat in Punjab in the State Legislative Assembly Elections 2022. The Election Commission reported that Kohli received 48,104 votes, Amarinder received 28,231 votes, SAD’s Harpal Juneja bagged 11,835 votes, and Congress’ Vishnu Sharma was able to secure only 9,871 votes.
- Cash: Rs. 8,99,490
- Deposits in Banks, Financial Institutions and Non-Banking Financial Companies: Rs. 2,05,16,378
- Bonds, Debentures and Shares in companies: Rs. 18,70,000
- LIC or other insurance Policies: Rs. 57,27,085
- Personal loans/advance given: Rs. 7,49,976
- Motor Vehicles: Rs. 1,49,63,000
- Jewellery: Rs. 40,50,000
- Other assets, such as values of claims / interests: Rs. 4,56,69,776
- Agricultural Land: Rs. 30,00,000
- Non Agricultural Land: Rs. 4,55,00,000
- Commercial Buildings: Rs. 17,30,00,000
- Residential Buildings: Rs. 2,00,00,000
- Loans from Banks / FIs: Rs. 49,19,244
- Loans due to Individual / Entity: Rs. 4,21,181
- Any other Liability: Rs. 1,95,140
- Ajitpal follows a non-vegetarian diet.
- Reportedly, Ajitpal rode a cycle from his home to Patiala in 2012, to file his nominations in the 2012 assembly elections.
- In 2019, Ajitpal requested the deputy commissioner of Patiala to take action against the illegal site that was built outside Government Rajindra Hospital in Patiala. In an interview, he talked about this and said,
The centre has illegally been allotted to the husband of one of the Congress councillors on behest of some influential people in the Patiala municipal corporation (MC). Even, the public works department (PWD) is hand-in-glove with the councillor in the matter.”
- In 2020, he became the founder of the Young Progressive Sikh Forum, which aims to help the underprivileged and empower them. During the 2020 COVID-19 lockdown, he actively participated in the Rotary Club that helped the communities of Patiala.
- During the voting process in February 2022, he said that the security system was weak as there was no three-tier security system, and the local police held the security charge. In an interview, he said,
There is poor lighting arrangement inside and outside the strong room, and no CCTV cameras have been installed at the spot.”
- He is a passionate animal lover and often posts pictures of them on social media.
- He is often featured in various newspapers.