Deepender Singh Hooda is an Indian politician who is currently a Rajya Sabha Member from Haryana. He is a member of the Indian National Congress and remained a Member of Parliament in Lok Sabha from Rohtak for three terms from 2005 to 2019. He has been the special invitee to Congress Working Committee, the executive committee of the Indian National Congress. He was the youngest member of parliament when he joined politics at the age of 27 years, in 2005. He is the fourth generation of the family to serve in public service.
Deepender Singh Hooda was born on Wednesday, 4 January 1978 (age 45 years; as of 2023) in Delhi. He completed matriculation at Mayo College in Ajmer in 1993. He completed his high school at Delhi Public School, R.K. Puram, New Delhi in 1995. He completed a Bachelor of Technology at Maharshi Dayanand University in Rohtak, Haryana in 1999; he was the second topper in his class. In 2003, he pursued a Master of Business Administration in finance and strategy at Kelley School of Business at Indiana University, Bloomington; he was awarded honorary Beta Gamma Sigma and was appointed as Leader-in-Residence of Poling Chair of Business and Government at the University. He was the president of the Asian Students Association at the University. He pursued a Bachelor of Laws at Campus Law Centre, University of Delhi in 2019.
Height (approx.): 6′ 0″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Balck
Deepender Singh Hooda belongs to a Jaat family. Jaats are traditionally farmers’ communities found in northern areas of India and Pakistan.
Parents & Siblings
Deepender Singh Hooda is the son of the former chief minister of Haryana, Bhupinder Singh Hooda. His mother’s name is Asha Hooda.
Wife & Children
He is married twice. His first wife’s name is Geeta Grewal, who is a dentist; they parted ways in 2005. He got married to Hemsweta Mirdha on 22 February 2010. They have a son together.
Other Family Member
Deepender Singh Hooda’s great-grandfather was Choudhary Matu Ram Hooda, a politician, a social reformer and a freedom fighter who worked with Mahatma Gandhi in the independence movement, and he was one of the prominent leaders at the time of the establishment of the Indian National Congress in 1985.
Deepender’s grandfather’s name is Ranbir Singh Hooda who was a politician and served undivided Punjab and present Haryana later on. He was the 1st and 2nd Lok Sabha member from Rohtak, Haryana and a member of Rajya Sabha as well. He was a freedom fighter, participated Satyagraha movement and got arrested in 1941.
VPO – Sanghi, Tehsil & District – Rohtak, Haryana
He started his career as a process engineer in the Fabric Manufacturing Division of Reliance Industries Limited in May 1999; he was Assistant Manager of Offshore Operations Co-ordination at the time he left the job in December 2000. He joined Infosys as a software engineer and worked there for nine months till August 2001. After completing his MBA in 2003, he started working as a senior manager in product strategy and marketing at Sabre Corporation, Dallas, USA; he worked there for more than two years.
He joined the Indian National Congress party in 2005 and contested the Lok Sabha by-elections from Rohtak, Haryana and became the Member of Parliament. He was appointed as a member of the Consultative Committee on External Affairs and the Committee on Agriculture. He won the 15th Lok Sabha election in 2009 and became a member of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Human Resource Development and Committee on Members of Parliament Local Area Development Scheme. In 2014, he again got elected for the third term of the Lok Sabha from Rohtak and was appointed as a member of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Energy. During his 15 years tenure at Rohtak Lok Sabha, he helped establish many educational institutes like the Indian Institute of Management Rohtak, the state-of-art cancer centre- AIIMS-II campus at Jhajjar, and many sports centres, stadiums, government schools and colleges. In 2019, he contested the Lok Sabha election from the Rohtak constituency on a ticket from the Indian National Congress but lost to Arvind Kumar Sharma from the Bhartiya Janta Party.
In 2020, he was elected to the Rajya Sabha from Haryana and on 22 July 2020, he took oath as a member of the Rajya Sabha.
From July 2020 to September 2022, he was a member of the Committee on Personnel, Public Grievances, Law and Justice; during this period he also became a member of the Joint Committee on Salaries and Allowances of Members of Parliament (August 2020), and the Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Finance (November 2020). In September 2022, he became a member of the Committee on External Affairs and a member of the Committee on Information and Communication Technology Management in the Rajya Sabha in January 2023.
Defamation Case against Brij Bhushan
In January 2023, Indian wrestlers started protests against the former president of the Wrestling Federation of India BJP MP Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh, for sexually harassing female wrestlers. While speaking to a news reporter of ANI, Brij Bhushan said
90% of the athletes & guardians of Haryana trust the Wrestling Federation of India. A few families & the girls who have levelled allegations belonged to the same ‘akhada’…The patron of that ‘akhada’ is Deepender Hooda.” Hindustan Times
When Deepender Singh Hooda was asked about the allegations he said
I don’t know why he has dragged our names. We’re filing a defamation case against him. Our wrestlers are fighting for justice & entire nation is supporting them. Independent inquiry must be done.” Hindustan Times
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- He received the Bharat Asmita Jana Pratinidhi Shrestha award for his work towards rural development through education and power generation in 2010.
- He was on the list of the Top 12 Indians on the World Economic Forum’s Young Global Leaders List in 2011.
- In 2019, he was honoured with the Best Parliamentarian Award Union Minister for Micro, Small and Enterprise Giriraj Singh at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi.
Deepender Singh Hooda owns a Ford Endeavour.
Assets & Properties
- Cash: Rs. 2,45,284
- Bank Deposits: Rs. 3,86,54,113
- Bonds, Debentures and Shares: Rs. 2,12,11,824
- Motor Vehicles: Rs. 35,36,100
- Jewellery: Rs. 86,73,607
- Agricultural Land: Rs. 1,18,60,000
- Non-Agricultural Land: Rs. 1,29,00,000
- Commercial Buildings: Rs. 7,85,00,000
- While pursuing MBA, he held an Asian Business Conference, leading a team of Asian students from the top 15 business schools in the United States at Harvard University.
- In 2005, he got a job offer at McKinsey & Company but he denied it and came back to India, and later, joined politics.
- He has served as a board member of the Council of IITs and Vice Chairman at the Indian Red Cross Society.
- During his tenure as a Lok Sabha member, he was elected as chairman of the Indo-UK forum of Parliamentarians.
- In 2017, he was part of the India-Japan Forum of the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (Fikki – FICCI) and visited Japan to strengthen the mutual ties between Japan and India.
- He joined Bharat Jodo Yatra started by Rahul Gandhi in September 2022.
- He has been a columnist for the newspaper The Indian Express and has written about Indian economics and international affairs. The Indian Express
- He has a keen interest in reading subjects like History, American Civil War, Indian Freedom Movement, World War II, French Revolution, ancient Egypt, the Greeks and the Indus Valley Civilization, social economics, marxism, capitalistic economic models, and governance.
- His pastime and recreational activities are cricket, Haryana-style wrestling, and tennis.