A. M. Turaz is an Indian poet, lyricist, dialogue writer, scriptwriter, and director who has worked in more than 30 films and performed in various poetry shows. He is known for using Urdu words in his lyrics and writing on themes revolving around love.
A. M. Turaz aka Aas Muhammad Turaz aka Turaz was born in Sambaleheda village near Miranpur town of Muzaffarpur district in Uttar Pradesh, India. As per one source, he was born on Thursday, 19 September 1974 (age 48 years; as of 2022), and as per another source, he was born on Sunday, 19 September 1982 (age 40 years; as of 2022). His zodiac sign is Virgo. He studied Urdu at his home as his family spoke Urdu. He was interested in writing since his teens and also liked the glamour in films, hence he moved to Mumbai in 2002 and pursued a career in writing.
Height (approx.): 5′ 9″
Weight (approx.): 75 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
He belongs to a middle-class family.
Parents & Siblings
His father’s name is Waheed Ahmed who was a farmer. He is the eldest among his siblings.
He is unmarried.
He is single.
He follows Islam.
Scriptwriter & Director
After moving to Mumbai in 2002, he found work to write for a TV show in 2003 and later wrote for many TV shows including Lady Inspector Renuka and Ek Mahal Ho Sapno Ka. In 2017, he made his debut as a director with the music album We Indians.
Lyricist & Poet
In 2005, he got his first film Kudiyon Ka Hai Zamaana (2006), and his debut song was Kehta Hai Yeh Mera Dil. He later wrote many songs for various hit films including Guzaarish (2010), Chakravyuh (2012), Bajirao Mastani (2015), Padmaavat (2018), Gangubai Kathiawadi (2022), and Satyaprem Ki Katha (2023). A few of his famous songs include Kabhi Jo Badal Barse, Ghoomar, Binte Dil, Khalibali, Bhula Diya, and Jab Saiyaan.
Apart from Bollywood, he has participated in various Poetry shows (Mushairas) in different countries all around the world. In 2014, his poems were published in a book titled Lamhe.
Story Writer & Dialogue Writer
In 2016, he made his debut as a story writer with the film Direct Ishq, and in 2021, he made his debut as a web series story writer with the Hotstar web series The Empire. In 2016, he made his debut as a dialogue writer in the film 1:13:7 Ek Tera Saath.
Legal Case for Mehngai Song
In 2012, he wrote a song titled Mehngai in the film Chakravyuh which had the names of renowned Indian industrialists and business brands including Birla, Tata, and Bata. The lyrics of the song were ‘Birla Ho Ya Tata Ambani Ho Ya Bata, Apne Apne Chakar Mein Desh Ko Hai Kata Birla Ho Ya Tata Ambani Ho Ya Bata Apne Apne Chakar Mein Desh Ko Hai Kata.’ The case was filed in the Delhi High Court to stop the broadcast of the song; however, the court gave permission to show the song with a disclaimer. Indian Kanoon
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- Won Special Mention Award at FOI Online Awards for Bajirao Mastani in 2015
- Won Best Poetry award by Urdu Markaz Los Angeles U.S.A. in 2016
- Won Jury Prize for Best Album of the Year Award at Mirchi Music Awards for Bajirao Mastani in 2016
- Won Best Original Song Award at FOI Online Awards for Ghoomer song from Padmaavat film in 2018
- Nominated for Best Lyricist Award at Mirchi Music Awards for Padmaavat in 2019
- Won Jury Prize for Best Album of the Year Award at Mirchi Music Awards for Padmaavat in 2019
- Won Jury Prize for Best Song of the Year Award at Mirchi Music Awards for Ghoomar song of Padmaavat film in 2019
- Nominated for the Best Lyricist Award at Filmfare Awards for Binte Dil song from Padmaavat film in 2019
- Nominated for Best Lyricist Award at FOI Online Awards for Shikayat song from Gangubai Kathiawadi film in 2022
- Won Gold Trophy Award by Saregama Records in 2023 for the film Gangubai Kathiawadi
- Nominated for Best Lyrics award at Filmfare Awards for Jab Saiyaan song from Gangubai Kathiawadi film in 2023
- His favourite Hindi lyricist is Anand Bakshi.
- He has a very good friendship with the model and actress Arjumman Mughal. When Mughal was going through a tough phase in her life and career and was in depression, Turaz took care of her which evolved into a deep bond. YouTube – News 18 Urdu
- In an interview, he said that although he likes all Bollywood directors, his favourite is Sanjay Leela Bhansali as the plots of Bhansali’s films are historic and grandeur.
- He likes to play guitar during his leisure time.
- He has been a member of the Central Board Of Film Certification (CBFC) and Grameen Mukt Vidhyalayi Shiksha Sansthan(GMVSS), Delhi.
- In an interview, he said that lyricists and writers do not get their fair share of recognition; however, he hoped that they would also start receiving the attention they deserve. In July 2023, he appeared on the popular comedy show The Kapil Sharma Show.