Uddhav Thackeray is an Indian politician and the 19th Chief Minister of Maharashtra. He is the son of Bal Thackeray, the founder of the Shiv Sena.
Uddhav Thackeray was born on Wednesday, 26 July 1960 (age 62 years; as of 2022) in Mumbai, Maharashtra. His zodiac sign is Leo. He did his schooling from the Balmohan Vidyamandir in Mumbai, Maharashtra. He pursued graduation from the Sir Jamsetjee Jeejebhoy School of Art in Mumbai, Maharashtra. Uddhav was not interested in politics at all, and he wanted to do something in another field. He started doing professional photography, and he has also been an author. Uddhav also started an advertising agency named “Chowrang”. However, the agency was not a success and had to be closed down after a while.
Height (approx.): 5′ 9″
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Hair Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Wife
Uddhav Thackeray belongs to the Chandraseniya Kayastha Prabhu Caste (CKP) Hindustan Times. His father, Bal Thackeray was a prominent politician and the founder of the Shiv Sena. His mother, Mina Thackeray was a homemaker. He has two elder brothers, Bindumadhav Thackeray (businessman and filmmaker) who died in a car accident on 20 April 1996, and Jaidev Thackeray. His cousin brother, Raj Thackeray is a politician and the founder of the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS).
Uddhav met his wife, Rashmi Thackeray (businesswoman and member of the Shiv Sena’s women’s wing) during his college days, and he fell in love with her. They dated for a while and got married on 13 December 1988. They have two sons, Aditya Thackeray (politician) and Tejas Thackeray (wildlife researcher).
When Uddhav joined the Shiv Sena as a member, not many people knew about him; as he kept a low profile. He has worked in many capacities in the Shiv Sena from the grassroots level to the state level. In 2002, he was handed the responsibility of overlooking the 2002 Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) Elections by Bal Thackeray. He came into the limelight when the Shiv Sena did extremely well in the BMC elections under Uddhav’s leadership.
In 2003, Uddhav was appointed as the Shiv Sena’s working president. In 2013, he was elected as the Shiv Sena chief after Bal Thackeray’s death. In the 2019 Maharashtra Assembly Elections, the Shiv Sena contested the elections with the BJP as an ally. However, when the results were announced, Uddhav demanded an equal seat sharing and power-sharing for the Chief Minister’s post. He wanted a Shiv Sena member to be the Chief Minister for two and a half years. The BJP said that nothing of this sort was agreed upon before the elections, and they would not abide by it now.
Eventually, Uddhav allied with Sharad Pawar and Sonia Gandhi to form the Government in Maharashtra. The Shiv Sena, NCP, and the Congress named their alliance the “Maha Vikas Aghadi.” On 28 November 2019, at 6:40 PM, Uddhav was sworn-in as the Chief Minister of Maharashtra at Shivaji Park, Mumbai.
On 29 June 2022, he submitted his resignation to the Governor of Maharashtra as the Chief Minister of Maharashtra; the resignation came ahead of the no-trust vote. NDTV
- On 24 October 2011, Uddhav threatened Sanjay Nirupam and said that he will break his teeth if he causes any disturbances in Mumbai. During a rally, Nirupam had targeted Uddhav and Raj Thackeray and said- “North Indians could bring Mumbai to a halt if they chose to.” DNA India
- On 1 October 2016, Uddhav had to apologize publicly about a cartoon which was published in the 25th edition of “Saamana” and “Dopahar ka Saamana.” Reportedly, the cartoon ridiculed the Maratha community, and Uddhav being the Editor-in-Chief of Saamana had to issue an unconditional apology after facing backlash from the Maratha Community. India Today
- Matoshree, Bandra, Mumbai
- Uddhav was reluctant to join politics, but his wife persuaded him to start a career in politics.
- He loves doing wildlife photography and playing badminton.
- Like Bal Thackeray, he only wants to work for the people of Maharashtra, and he has no interest in national politics.
- In 2006, his cousin Raj Thackeray broke away from the Shiv Sena and formed the “Maharashtra Navnirman Sena” (MNS).
- His elder son, Aditya Thackeray is the President of the Yuva Sena (youth wing of the Shiv Sena). Aditya was appointed as the President of the Yuva Wing by Bal Thackeray.
- He has also released two photobooks titled “Maharashtra Desh” (2010) and “Pahava Vitthal” (2011). The books portray aspects of Maharashtra and the varkaris (pilgrims) during the Pandharpur Yatra.
- In July 2012, Uddhav was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital in Mumbai after he complained of chest pain. He underwent an angioplasty, and three blockages in his arteries were removed.