Aditya Thackeray is an Indian politician. He is the son of Uddhav Thackeray and the grandson of Bal Thackeray, founder of the Shiv Sena.
Aditya Thackeray was born on Wednesday, 13 June 1990 (age 29 years; as in 2019) in Mumbai, India. His zodiac sign is Gemini. He did his schooling from the Bombay Scottish School in Mumbai. He pursued Bachelor of Arts from St. Xaviers College, Mumbai. He got his Bachelor of Laws degree from the KC Law College in Mumbai.
Height (approx.): 5′ 10″
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Hair Colour: Black
Family, Caste, and Girlfriend
Aditya Thackeray belongs to a Chandraseniya Kayastha Prabhu (CKP) FamilyForbesIndia. His father, Uddhav Thackeray, is a politician and the chief of the Shiv Sena. His mother, Rashmi Thackeray, is a businesswoman. His younger brother, Tejas Thackeray, is a wildlife researcher. Aditya is the grandson of Shiv Sena founder, Bal Thackeray.
Aditya is in a relationship with Sanskruti Patel. She is the granddaughter of former Gujarat CM Anandiben Patel.
Aditya Thackeray joined the Shiv Sena in 2010 and started the Yuva Sena (youth wing of the Shiv Sena). Bal Thackeray appointed him as the President of the Yuva Sena. Initially, Aditya focused on establishing the Yuva Sena in Mumbai, then he moved on to creating more units across Maharashtra. Eventually, Aditya established Yuva Sena units in Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Kerala, Bihar, and Jammu and Kashmir.
In 2018, Aditya was named as a leader of the Shiv Sena and a member of the National Executive body. Reportedly, in June 2019, there were rumours that Aditya may contest the 2019 Maharashtra Assembly Elections. After months of speculation, in September 2019, Shiv Sena confirmed the report and stated that Aditya will be making his electoral debut from the Worli Assembly seat of Mumbai. It was the first time that someone from the Thackeray family would contest the elections. On 3 October 2019, Aditya filed his nomination for the Worli Assembly seat, and he was accompanied by his parents, Uddhav and Rashmi Thackerey. On 24 October 2019, he won from the Worli Assembly seat and became the first member of the Thackeray family to contest and win an election. He defeated NCP’s Suresh Mane by 67,427 votes.
- In October 2010, Aditya came into the spotlight when he protested outside the Mumbai University. He was protesting against a book included in the University’s syllabus, which he claimed had insulting language about the Indian culture. He stated that the book by Rohinton Mistry, Such a Long Journal, had abusive language about the Indian culture, and the students should not be forced to read such a book. He also stated that he did not have a problem with the book being sold in the open market, but he did not want it to be included in the syllabus of the university. The vice-chancellor of the University had to remove the book from the syllabus, eventually. However, it was later revealed that when Aditya was protesting against the book, he had never read the book, and was solely acting upon what he had heard about the book.
- In 2014, before the Maharashtra Assembly elections, Aditya’s statement in the Shiv Sena mouthpiece, Saamna, was criticized by many factions of the society. He stated that “the Gujaratis and other non-Marathi businessmen have extracted a lot from Mumbai, and they use Mumbai like an “attractive prostitute” to construct their Dwarkas (Cities of Gold).” However, Aditya had to apologize for his remarks later.
- On 12 October 2015, Shiv Sena workers attacked Sudheendra Kulkarni, a scholar and a columnist, before a book launch event and covered his face with ink. Kulkarni was on his way to attend a book launch by former Pakistan minister Khurshid Kasuri. Aditya Thackeray justified this act by the Shiv Sena workers and stated that the attack was non-violent, democratic, and a historic one and anyone who would support anti-national elements will be treated this way. Several journalists criticized his statement and stated that what happened with Kulkarni was completely unjustified.
Aditya owns a BMW 330i GT (2018 Model)
Assets & Properties
- Cash: 13,344 INR
- Bank Deposits: 10.36 crores INR
- Jewellery: 64.65 lacs INR
- Agricultural Land: 5 lands worth 77.66 lacs INR
- Commercial Building: 2 shops worth 3.89 crores INR
- Net Worth: 16.05 crores INR (as in 2019)
- Aditya loves writing poetry, playing cricket, and travelling.
- In 2007, he published his first collection of poems, “My Thoughts in White & Black.”
- In 2008, Aditya decided to be a lyricist and he released a private album, “Ummeed.” Many famous playback singers such as Sunidhi Chauhan, Shankar Mahadevan, Kailash Kher, and others lend their voice for the album. His grandfather, Bal Thackeray, had also invited Amitabh Bachchan to the inauguration.
References [ + ]