Shazia Ilmi is an Indian politician and social activist. She was previously working as a journalist at the Star News.
Shazia Ilmi was born on Thursday, 2 April 1970 (age 51 years; as of 2021) in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh. She did her schooling at Kanpur’s St. Mary’s School and went to St. Bede’s College, Shimla to pursue her graduation. Thereafter, she studied Mass Communication from the Jamia Milia Islamia University, Aligarh. She, then, moved to the University of Wales, Cardiff to pursue a course in journalism and broadcasting. Ilmi has also done a diploma in 16mm film production at New York Film Academy.
Height (approx.): 5′ 3″
Weight (approx.): 60 Kg
Hair Colour: Brown
Eye Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Husband
Shazia belongs to a Muslim Family. Her father, Maulana Ishaq Ilmi, was the founder of a Kanpur based Urdu newspaper, ‘Siyasat Jadid.’ Her mother’s name is Naushaba Ilmi. She has 4 brothers and 1 sister. Shazia is the youngest of them all. Her sister, Reshma Ilmi, is married to Arif Mohammed Khan, who is a former Cabinet Minister in the union of India. Her brother, Dr. Aijaz Ilmi, is the spokesperson of the Bhartiya Janata Party. Her brother, Rashid Ilmi, is also a politician. She also has an elder brother named Irshad Ilmi. Shazia is married to Sajid Mallik, who is an investment banker and an entrepreneur based in New Delhi. Her husband is half Gujarati Muslim and half Tamil Iyer. The couple has a daughter.
Shazia started her career as a news journalist and anchor. She has spent 15 years working for television news and documentary productions. Ilmi hosted and produced the prime time news show Desh Videsh on Star News. She has also produced and hosted several shows on current affairs and documentaries highlighting issues on gender bias and the rights of minority groups in India. She has been a member of the International Association of Women in Radio and Television (IAWRT). In 2011, she produced a film titled “P.O. 418 Siyasat Kanpur” that featured the story of the struggle for the survival of an Urdu newspaper. The film was screened at the IAWRT film festival and a similar festival in Kerala.
In 2011, she became the spokesperson of the India Against Corruption movement which was led by Anna Hazare. Subsequently, she joined the Aam Aadmi Party. She contested in the 2014 Lok Sabha elections for AAP from the Ghaziabad Constituency but lost to V. K. Singh.
Shazia resigned from AAP on 24 May 2014 and thereafter joined the Bharatiya Janata Party on 16 January 2015. In 2017, she was appointed as the additional director of Engineers India Ltd (EIL).
On 21 July 2021, she was appointed as the national spokesperson of the BJP.
- In 2013, her mother, Naushaba Ilmi, sought the police protection when Shazia allegedly abused her and became aggressive during a family’s property dispute. Her mother told the newspersons that- “I am ready to go to jail to escape her torture. But I will continue to fight for justice that she and her elder brother Irshad (Ilmi) are denying to my other children.” Hindustan Times
- In April 2014, a video went viral on the social media in which Shazia made some controversial remarks on Muslims being secular. She said- “Don’t be much secular. Muslims are too secular and they should become communal. They are not communal and do not vote for themselves. Arvind Kejriwal is ours. Muslims have remained secular for long…have voted for the Congress and helped them win. Don’t be so secular and look at your house this time.” However, her party distanced itself from her remarks, saying it does not endorse such views.
- Ilmi was also accused of accepting funds for AAP through some illegal means. A sting operation was conducted on the members of Aam Aadmi Party which showed Shazia along with some other leaders of AAP accepting money in return of favours. However, the authenticity of the video was not proved.
Shazia owns movable and immovable assets of INR 4.42 crore (as in 2013). she holds necklace, bangles and rings valued at INR 15 lakh.
Shazia Ilmi net worth is estimated to be INR 31.79 Crore (as in 2013).
- Actor: Ranbir Kapoor
- Colour: Black
- Destination: Switzerland
- Her hobbies include reading and travelling.
- Her residence is at E-355, Greater Kailash II, New Delhi 110048
- Shazia is the first working woman from her family.
- Ilmi’s family has links with the Indian National Congress. Her uncle was a member of the Uttar Pradesh Legislative Assembly for over 20 years.
- When Shazia was a journalist, she hosted a show titled “Dr. Kans,” that featured the sting operations being carried out on doctors who were involved in female foeticide. The show resulted in the suspension of the medical licenses of such doctors.