James Pattinson is an Australian professional fast-bowler who is known for his fierce fast bowling and the ability to extract life out of dead cricket pitches. He represented Mumbai Indians in the Indian Premier League 2020.
James Pattinson was born on Thursday, 3 May 1990 (age 30 years; as in 2020), in Melbourne, Victoria. His zodiac sign is Taurus. His full name is James Lee Pattinson. He was born to English parents who had moved to Australia before his birth. The Guardian Gradually, he climbed the ladder from playing local club cricket in Australia to breaking into the Australian national cricket team in 2011.
Hair Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
James Pattinson’s father, John Pattison, hails from Gribsy, while his mother Sue Pattinson is from Yorkshire. James’ father worked as a roof tiler for 45 years. James has an elder brother, Darren Pattinson, who is also a cricketer and has represented England in one international test match.
Relationship & Children
James Pattinson is married to Kayla Pattinson. The couple together has a daughter, Lilah Ruby Pattinson. Lilah was born six and a half weeks premature.
Pattinson played cricket for Dandenong Cricket Club in Victorian Premier Cricket before he went on to play for Australia Under 19 Team. He was also a part of the Australian cricket team in the ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup 2008. The same year, at the age of 18, he made his first-class cricket debut. In December 2009, playing for the Victorian Cricket team, Pattison set a new best bowling record in Australian List A cricket; as he took six wickets for the cost of 48 from the 10 overs that he bowled. Owing to his fine performances in domestic cricket, he came into notice of the Australian selectors. Consequently, he broke into the Australia men’s national cricket team in 2011 and played his first ODI match for Australia against Bangladesh at Dhaka on 13 April 2011. On 13 October, he played his first T20 match for Australia against South Africa at Dhaka. He made his test debut for Australia the same year on 1 December 2011 in a match against New Zealand at Brisbane. He took five wickets in his opening match.
Pattinson witnessed a steady rise initially in his career. Looking at his impressive initial performances for Australia, cricket fraternity had started considering him as the next big fast bowler for Australia after Glenn McGrath and Brett Lee. Unfortunately, recurring injuries kept him out of action for a large phase of his career.
He has had a start-stop career. Since his debut in 2011, he could only manage to play 21 test (81 wickets), 15 ODI (16 wickets), and 4 T20 (3 wickets) matches for Australia till 2020.
He has been a part of various domestic teams, including the Victoria Cricket Team, Melbourne Renegades, Nottinghamshire, Brisbane Heat.
In 2020, Mumbai Indians signed him as a replacement to the Sri Lankan fast bowler Lasith Malinga, who opted out of the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2020 due to family reasons.
- In 2013, he, along with Shane Watson, Mitchell Johnson, and Usman Khawaja, was ousted out of the Australian side in the middle of a test series vs India by the team management. Reportedly, they had failed to prepare a presentation on how to improve the team after it had failed to win in the first two matches. BBC
- In 2019, James Pattinson was banned for one test match, after he allegedly passed a homophobic remark towards an opponent player. Daily Mail
- Pattinson has a tattoo of “Big Ben” in the montage of tattoos on his left arm.
- He has a habit of writing in his diary before going to bed. Interestingly, he uses four different-coloured pens to write in his diary; Red ink to write his training plans for the coming day, and rest of the colours to write about his goals, day-to-day events, and several other things. At the end of the page, he articulates about one thing that he enjoyed from the day. cricket.com.au
- James’s father, who hails from England, was a big football fan. He used to make James watch England football team matches all the time. Also, while growing up, James’ favourite sportsman was David Beckham. Pressreader
- James was also offered to play for England in 2010; however, unlike his brother, he denied the offer. The Guardian
- Pattinson was picked by KKR to play in the IPL 2013, but he was ruled out of that season owing to a non-cricket related medical condition. The Indian Express Eventually, in 2020, he played his maiden IPL match.