Manish Pandey is an Indian cricketer. He shot to fame when he became the first Indian player to score a century in the Indian Premier League (IPL).
Manish Pandey was born on Sunday, 10 September 1989 (age 30 years; as in 2019) in Nainital, Uttarakhand. His zodiac sign is Virgo. He did his schooling from the Kendriya Vidyalaya ASC Centre in Bengaluru Wikipedia. He completed his college studies from the Jain University in Bengaluru, Karnataka Jain University. He has been playing cricket since he was in the third standard. When Manish was 15 years old, he moved to Bengaluru with his family after his father’s transfer. However, when his father was transferred to Rajasthan a couple of years later, Manish decided to stay back and pursue a career in cricket.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Wife
Manish Pandey follows Hinduism. His father, GC Pandey is an Indian Army officer. His mother’s name is Tara Pandey. His sister’s name is Anita Pandey.
On 2 December 2019, Manish Pandey got married to Ashrita Shetty in Mumbai.
Manish Pandey’s cricket career kickstarted when he became a part of the Karnataka Cricket Association (KCA). He played for the state team of Mysore and Karnataka. He got recognition due to his excellent gameplay, and soon, he was selected for India’s Under-19 team. He was also a part of India’s Under-19 team which won the “2008 U-19 World Cup” in Malaysia, which was captained by Virat Kohli.
In 2008, after returning from the U-19 World Cup, Manish was selected by Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) for the 2008 IPL. In the same year, he became the first Indian to score a century in the Indian Premier League (IPL). He was with the RCB for 6 years, after which, he was picked up by the Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) in 2014. In the same year, KKR won the IPL, and Manish Pandey was awarded the “Man of the Match” award for his match-winning innings of 94 runs against “Kings XI Punjab.” He was included in the Top 10 scorers of IPL in 2014 (401 runs) and 2017 (396 runs). In 2018, he was selected by “Sunrisers Hyderabad” for 11 crores INR.
On 14 July 2015, Pandey made his One Day International (ODI) debut for India against Zimbabwe. He scored 71 runs, and he also had a match-winning 144-run partnership with Kedar Jadhav for the fifth wicket. On 17 July 2015, he made his T20 International debut during the same Zimbabwe tour. In January 2016, he was selected for India’s tour of Australia. In the final match in Sydney, he played a match-winning innings of 104 not-out, helping India win its only match of the series. In 2016, he was selected as a replacement for Yuvraj Singh in the “2016 T20 World Cup,” which was hosted by India. He was also selected for the “2017 Champions Trophy,” however, he had to opt-out of it after sustaining an injury during IPL.
- Manish Pandey likes doing adventure sports and listening to music.
- During his younger days, he wanted to join the Indian Army like his father. However, when his cricket career took off, he embraced it.
- He considers Rahul Dravid as his role model. Once, in an interview, he said that he is indebted and inspired by Dravid.
- Pandey also represents the “Mysuru Warriors” in the Karnataka Premier League (KPL). In 2014, he led them to win the title.
- On 6 September 2017, he scored his first T20 International fifty and had a 119-runs partnership with Virat Kohli against Sri Lanka. Their partnership of 119 runs is also a record for the third wicket in T20 Internationals.
- His unique shot “half-sweep-half-flick” is much appreciated and talked about. He usually goes for this shot by going for a sweep, but he stretches his bat towards the ball and flicks it.