Arundhati Reddy is an Indian Cricketer who plays as an allrounder for the Indian Women’s cricket team. She made her debut for the Indian women’s national cricket team in the Twenty20 series held in Sri Lanka against the Sri Lanka Women’s National Cricket Team on 19 September 2018.
Arundhati Bhagya Reddy Arundhati Bhagya Reddy – Official Instagram page was born on Thursday 10 April 1997 (aged 25 years; as of 2022) in Hyderabad, Telangana, India. Her zodiac sign is Aries. She completed her schooling at Kendriya Vidyalaya Picket, Secunderabad, Telangana. She started playing Gully cricket with her brother and the kids in her locality and after noticing her talent, her mother enrolled her at an academy. After spending some time at the academy she was sent to attend a camp at the Hyderabad Cricket Association (HCA) and it became monumental in her career. She was trained by Savita Nirala at HCA and she started featuring for the Hyderabad team during this period and soon established herself as an important player in the team.
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): 32-28-30
Parents & Siblings
Her mother’s name is Bhagya Reddy. She was a teacher and used to be a volleyball player. Her brother’s name is Rohit Reddy. He worked at Amazon India.
She is not married.
Arundhati represented the Hyderabad women’s cricket team, South Central Zone team, India A Women, India B Women, Railways women’s cricket team, Supernovas, and Trailblazers at the domestic level.
In 2023, she was purchased by the Delhi Capitals as part of their squad to compete in the first edition of the Women’s Premier League. She was twelve years old when she made her List-A debut in 2010. She was appointed as the captain of the Hyderabad U-19 team when she was fifteen. She soon cemented her place in the Hyderabad women’s cricket team, however, during the initial phases of her career she lacked consistency in performance and found it hard to earn her international call-up. In 2017, she joined the Railways women’s cricket team and became a key member of the South Central Railway team alongside her idol Mithali Raj.
During the 2017-2018 season, she took 23 wickets and scored 229 runs from 14 matches across age groups and formats. She also recorded her first five-wicket haul against the U-23 Rajasthan women’s cricket team. Her sizzling form did not go unnoticed in the national circuit and she received her first India A call-up. Reddy was able to deliver constant performances and earned herself a spot in the Senior Women’s Challenger Trophy where she bowled Mithali out. In 2019, she bowled ten overs and got a wicket and also scored a half-century against the Delhi women’s cricket team. She was part of the Railways women’s cricket team, who won the BCCI Senior Women’s Inter Zonal One Day Trophy (50 overs) in 2023. In the pre-quarterfinals against Tamil Nadu, she put in a brilliant performance and took 4 wickets for 30 runs.
One Day International (ODI)
In May 2021, Arundhati Reddy was named to the India Women’s One Day International squad for their three-ODI series against the England Women’s cricket team. BCCI Firstpost However, she did not feature for India in the series.
On August 2018, BCCI announced that Arundhati Reddy was in the Indian women’s national cricket team squad for their T20I series against Sri Lanka. She made her T20 international debut on 19 September 2018 against the Sri Lanka Women’s National Cricket team in Sri Lanka. It was a five-match series and she played in all five matches and displayed a strong performance. In her debut match at the FTZ Sports Complex, Katunayake, Sri Lanka she took the wicket of Yasoda Mendis, with an economy of 12.33.
From the five matches against Sri Lanka, she took four wickets, and three catches and also effected three run-outs. With a string of positive displays, she was able to impress the selectors and was named in the India Women’s squad for the ICC Women’s World T20 2018 held in the West Indies. Official International Cricket Council Website She played in the opening match of the tournament, where India Women emerged victorious against New Zealand Women, and she took the wicket of Suzie Bates. Reddy bowled with an economy of 9.00 and gave 36 runs from 4 overs.
She bowled four overs, including a maiden over in India’s match against the Pakistan Women’s cricket team and she also took the wicket of Ayesha Zafar. She was rested for India’s third match against the Ireland Women. In the final group stage match against the Australia women’s cricket team, she scored six runs from four balls. Reddy only bowled two overs against them and gave 19 runs at an economy of 9.50. In the semi-final defeat against the England women’s national cricket team, she registered six runs from five balls.
Following the ICC Women’s World T20, she was included in the India Women’s squad for their tour of New Zealand. She produced four wickets in three matches, however, New Zealand won the series. In March 2019, Arundhati Reddy was included in the India Women’s squad for the England Women’s tour of India. She scored 18 runs from 19 balls and also bowled four overs in the first match. She was not named in the starting eleven for the next two matches of the series and England won the series undefeated. In October 2019, she was included in the squad for the South Africa Women’s tour of India. However, she was only named in the starting eleven for the last match of the series. She scored 22 runs from 25 balls and was the second top-scorer for India behind Veda Krishnamurthy. She also took the wicket of Mignon du Preez.
Arundhati was included in the Indian squad for the 2020 Australia women’s Tri-Nation Series, and she produced two wickets. In January 2020, she was named to the India Women’s squad for the 2020 ICC Women’s World T20 held in Australia. Arundhati was included in the starting eleven for the first two matches and she took two wickets in India’s match against Bangladesh women’s team. However, she was dropped from the starting eleven after the first two games and she did not feature in the rest of the World Cup campaign. In March 2021, she was included in the Indian squad for the South Africa Women’s tour of India and produced two wickets. In June 2021, she was included in the Indian squad for the tour of England.
In May 2021, Arundhati Reddy was named to the India Women’s Test squad for their one-off match against the England Women’s cricket team. BCCI But she was not included in the starting eleven.
Women’s T20 Challenge
She was part of the Supernovas squad led by the Indian cricketer Harmanpreet Kaur between 2019 and 2021. Supernovas won the title in 2019, however, she did not play in any of the matches. In 2022, she was part of the Trailblazers squad led by Smriti Mandhana.
Women’s Premier League (WPL)
She remained unsold during the first round of the WPL Auction 2023. Later, she was signed by the Delhi Capitals for Rs. 30 Lakhs for the 2023-2024 season.
She was entitled to a salary of Rs. 10 Lakhs per annum through her Grade C central contract with the BCCI. BCCI – Official Website In 2023, the Delhi Capitals purchased her for Rs. 30 Lakhs for the Women’s Premier League (WPL) 2023. NDTV
- Female Cricketer (Batter): Mithali Raj
- Female Cricketer (Bowler): Jhulan Goswami
- Male Cricketer (Batter): Rahul Dravid
- Male Cricketer (Bowler): Jasprit Bumrah and Dale Steyn
- Actor: Shah Rukh Khan
- Movie (Bollywood): Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham…
- Movie (Hollywood): Whiplash
- Indian veteran bowler Jhulan Goswami announced her retirement as a professional player on the same day Reddy received her first international call-up. After India’s tour of Sri Lanka was completed, Indian women’s national cricket team coach, Ramesh Powar said,
I think she (Reddy) is one bowler who can in future maybe replace Jhulu (Jhulan Goswami),” Firstpost
- During her leisure time, she loves singing.
- In an interview, she revealed that she was passionate about cricket since childhood and was influenced by the victory of the Indian Men’s team led by MS Dhoni in the T20 World Cup 2007.
- In an interview, she revealed that tennis player Serena Williams is someone whom she admired a lot.
- In 2017, she got a job as a junior clerk at Indian Railways.
- Her jersey number for the India Women’s team is #20. In an interview, she revealed that she chose twenty as her jersey number because it was her mother’s birthdate and pointed out that her mother was instrumental in shaping her career.
- She played for the India women’s national cricket team in the 2018 and 2020 ICC Women’s T20 World Cups.
- In an interview, she revealed that Australian cricketer Meg Lanning was the toughest opponent she ever faced.
- She used to train with former Indian international cricketer Mithali Raj. They both were trained by R. S. R. Murthy. In an interview, she revealed that Mithali always supported her and took care of her while they were part of the Indian Women’s team.
- In 2021, she was part of the Kini RR Sports team and played in the T20 India Nippon Cup. She completed a three-wicket haul for them.
- She grew up idolizing the former Indian Cricketer Rahul Dravid, and she wanted to be a wicketkeeper at the beginning of her career like Rahul, however, it was her first coach who suggested and trained her to be a fast bowler.
- In an interview, she pointed out that Savita Nirala, who was the coach at the Hyderabad Cricket Association and Nooshin Al Khadeer, the coach of Railways, were instrumental in shaping her career.