Ishan Kishan is an Indian cricketer. He is known for his boundary-hitting abilities and pacing innings at a fast rate. He has played for India in several tournaments. He is the youngest cricketer to score a double hundred in ODIs.
Ishan Kishan was born on Saturday, 18 July 1998 (age 25 years; as of 2024) in Nawada, Bihar, India. His zodiac sign is Cancer. He later moved to Patna along with his family to play cricket. Ishan Kishan started playing cricket at the age of six when he first went to Uttam Majumdar’s cricket academy in 2005.
Interestingly, Ishan had gone there with his elder brother Raj who used to play cricket and later sacrificed his dream of being a cricketer for Ishan; however, Majumdar was impressed by Ishan’s attitude and told his father to never stop Ishan from playing cricket. Ishan did his initial schooling at Delhi Public School (DPS) which he left due to attendance issues and later studied at the College of Commerce, Arts & Science (COCAS), Patna.
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Weight (approx.): 65 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Body Measurements (approx.): Chest 38″, Waist 30″, Biceps 12″
Parents & Siblings
His father, Pranav Kumar Pandey, is a real estate developer and a politician, and his mother, Suchitra Singh, is a homemaker.
He has an elder brother named Raj Kishan who is married to Pallavi Yadav. He has a sister named Arya Singh.
Wife & Children
He is unmarried and has no children.
His paternal grandmother, Dr Savitri Sharma, is a doctor (civil surgeon) and very popular in his hometown of Nawada, Bihar.
His paternal grandfather’s name is Kameshwar Sharma. His paternal great-grandfather, Rajnandan Pandey, passed away in 2020.
As of January 2024, Ishan’s rumoured girlfriend was Aditi Hundia, a model and social media influencer who belongs to Rajasthan.
He belongs to the Bhumihar Brahmin caste.
While studying in school, Ishan used to train under Santosh Kumar and Ajit Mishra. He captained his school team in the School World Cup in Aligarh at the age of seven. When Ishan was 11 years old, he represented Patna Under-16 in the All India School Games. Bihar Cricket Association later had a feud with BCCI due to which its accreditation was cancelled.
When he turned 12, he moved to Ranchi, Jharkhand where he played for SAIL (Steel Authority of India Ltd.) in an inter-district tournament in Ranchi. During that time, he used to live in a one-room quarter where four other senior players also lived. He did not know cooking and was given the duty of cleaning dishes and storing water. Once his father visited his quarter, where he was told by a neighbour that Ishan slept without eating anything many times as the seniors went away to play cricket, and sometimes, he would eat chips and drink non-alcoholic beverages before sleeping.
Upon hearing this, his father rented a flat for Ishan in Ranchi where he started living with his mother. He later played for Jharkhand Under-16 in the 2012-13 season and Jharkhand Under-19 from 2013 to 2015. Ishan was selected for the Jharkhand Ranji team for the first time in the 2013-14 season when he was 15 years old. He has also played for East Zone Under-19 in 2014-15, East Zone in 2016-17, India Under-19 Red in 2015-16, India Blue in 2017-18, India Red from 2018 to 2020, and the Rest of India in the 2018-19 season.
Ishan was the highest runscorer for Jharkhand during the 2017-18 Ranji season with 484 runs in 6 matches and the 2018-19 Vijay Hazare Trophy with 405 runs in 9 matches. He has also represented the Jharkhand Cricket Association XI and Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) in 2016-17 and the Indian Board President’s XI in 2018-19.
India Under-19, India A, B, & C
Ishan Kishan started playing for India Under-19 in the 2015-16 season and captained the team during the 2016 Under-19 World Cup held in Bangladesh.
He played for India A from 2017 to 2022, India B and India C in 2018-19.
He made his test debut on 12 July 2023 against West Indies at Windsor Park, Dominica and scored 1 run not out. He made his first test fifty in July 2023 against West Indies by scoring 52 runs not out off 34 balls.
He played his first ODI match on 18 July 2021 against Sri Lanka at R. Premadasa Stadium, Colombo and made his maiden ODI half-century in his first match with 59 runs in 42 deliveries. On 10 December 2022, he hit 210 runs off 131 balls against Bangladesh, making his first ODI double century.
ODI World Cup
Ishan played 2 matches in the 2023 ODI World Cup held in India and scored 47 runs at an average of 23.50.
He made his T20I debut on 14 March 2021 against England at Narendra Modi Stadium, Ahmedabad and scored his first T20I fifty on his debut with 56 runs off 32 balls, winning a Man of the Match award for his innings.
T20 World Cup
Ishan played in a single match in the 2021 T20 World Cup against New Zealand and scored 4 runs.
Indian Premier League (IPL)
In the 2016 IPL auction, Ishan Kishan was acquired by Gujarat Lions for Rs 35 lakhs against his base price of Rs 10 lakhs and played for them in the 2016 and 2017 seasons.
Mumbai Indians (MI) acquired him for Rs 6.2 crores against his base price of Rs 40 lakhs during the 2018 IPL auction. In the 2020 season, he was the highest runscorer for MI with 516 runs in 14 matches and hit the most sixes (30) in the season as well.
In the 2022 IPL auction, he emerged as the second-most expensive Indian player in IPL history after Mumbai Indians acquired him for Rs 15.25 crore against the base price of Rs 2 crore.
Ishan Kishan wears jersey number 32 for India in international tournaments. Interestingly, he wanted jersey number 23; however, it was already given to Kuldeep Yadav, hence he chose number 32 at the suggestion of his mother.
He wears jersey number 23 for Mumbai Indians (MI) in the IPL.
- Highest individual score for Jharkhand in Ranji Trophy (273 runs against Delhi in the 2016-17 Ranji season)
- Highest maiden ODI hundred, the first player to score an ODI double century during his first hundred, the highest ODI score in Bangladesh, fastest ODI double hundred, and the fourth Indian cricketer to score an ODI double century (210 runs off 131 balls against Bangladesh on 10 December 2022)
- Became the second Indian cricketer to score a fifty in an international debut T20I match (On 14 March 2021) (after Ajinkya Rahane)
Beaten up in Patna
On 12 January 2016, he was involved in a road accident in the Kankarbagh area of Patna. According to one source, he was driving his father’s car and hit an autorickshaw India Today, and as per another source, his father was driving the car and hit an autorickshaw. Firstpost One woman sitting in the auto was injured in the collision. Ishan and his father got into a fight with the public after the accident and were beaten and roughed up by some people before the arrival of the police. The Officer In Charge of Kankarbagh police station, Vijay Kumar Mishra, said that both parties later settled the case mutually and no arrest or FIR was done in the case.
Denied to play Duleep Trophy
In June 2023, Ishan Kishan was contacted by selectors to play for the East Zone team in the Duleep Trophy; however, one of the selectors later told a reporter that Ishan rejected the offer to play in Duleep Trophy but he did not reveal the reason behind his decision. Selectors were not happy with Kishan’s decision and later chose Abhishek Porel in his place. Outlook
Obstructing the Field
On 12 September 2023, he was batting against Sri Lanka during a match in the Super 4 stage of the Asia Cup 2023. During the 25th over, Sri Lankan fielder Sadeera Samarawickrama threw a ball to the wicketkeeper’s end which Kishan caught to prevent any injury and returned the ball to the bowler. Samarawickrama and Sri Lankan captain Dasun Shanaka apologised for the throw. Some fans claimed that Ishan should have been given out; however, some fans praised the Sri Lankan team for showing the spirit of the game and not appealing for out. Hindustan Times
Honours & Achievements
- Youngest player to be selected for the All India School Games (At the age of 7 years)
- Became the second-most expensive Indian player in IPL history in 2022 (after Yuvraj Singh)
In August 2021, Ishan Kishan signed up with RISE Worldwide for global management and marketing.
As of January 2024, he is the brand ambassador of Scitron, a bodybuilding supplement brand Scitron and has done advertisements for various consumer brands and organisations such as Dream11, Vivo, Noise, Reserve Bank of India (RBI), and CEAT.
As of 2023, Ishan Kishan earns 15.25 crore from an IPL contract with Mumbai Indians (MI). He earns Rs 1 crore from his contract with BCCI as he comes in the grade C.
He has a net worth of around Rs 60 crore as of 2024.
Assets & Properties
He is known for owning expensive things and lavish properties. He loves collecting watches and owns a Rolex Day Date worth more than Rs 25 lakh, a rare Frank Muller, and a Patek Philippe.
He owns a house in Rajendra Nagar, Patna and an apartment in Mumbai.
Ishan Kishan has got multiple tattoos inked on his body.
- ‘Sculpture Portrait-Roman Culture’ on left forearm
- ‘Trust Your Struggle’ on the upper chest
- ‘Portrait of Sai Baba’ on right forearm
- ‘Believe’ on the right arm
- ‘Roses’ on right forearm
Ishan Kishan has got piercings in both ears. Interestingly, he got his ears pierced when he was in 6th standard which is not part of Bihari culture. He convinced his father, got his ears pierced and wrote an application for his school with a made-up story that piercings were the last wish of his grandfather; however, his grandfather was alive in 2023.
- Food(s): Mutton Biryani, Aloo Paratha with curd, Paneer Chilli
- Song: Hall of Fame by The Script
- Cricket Stadium: Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai
- Film: Tears of the Sun (2003)
- His batting style is left-handed. He plays mostly as a wicketkeeper-opener batsman.
- When Ishan was six years old, his coach, Uttam Mazumdar, would do 300 throw-downs followed by 250 front-foot and 250 back-foot shadow practice strokes to make Ishan a good back-foot player and instructed him to practice all types of shots including pull, cut, and square drive.
- Ishan shares a very close bond with his father and often saves his father’s names with unique names. His father revealed in an interview that Ishan had saved his number with the names ‘Don 2’ and ‘Mafia.’
- In an interview, Indian cricketer Suryakumar Yadav revealed that Ishan has strange eating habits as he sometimes eats by dipping a bun in ice cream and sometimes puts chocolate ice cream and Nando’s sauce on bread before eating it.
- In August 2023, he posted a photo of himself after getting his hair styled by Aalim Hakim after which many people trolled him and compared him to rowdy or chapri.
- Ishan Kishan has often praised Mahendra Singh Dhoni and copied Dhoni’s tricks while doing wicketkeeping. In a T20I match against Australia on 29 November 2023, Kishan did a stumping on Axar Patel’s delivery which was later given a no-ball by the third umpire as Kishan had collected the ball in front of the stumps. Sportstar
- In December 2023, Ishan Kishan requested a leave due to personal reasons and asked Indian selectors and management to not consider him for the South Africa test series. He later said that he needed a break from cricket due to mental fatigue which he was experiencing from constant travel and lack of adequate game time. Hindustan Times
- He likes to play video games on his PlayStation whenever he gets free time.
- In an interview, Ishan said that if he ever got a chance to have a superpower, he would like to go in a time machine. He later said in the same interview that Hardik Pandya gave him the best advice which was that he should stay hungry for the things he wanted to achieve in his career and life.
- In an interview, Ishan’s mother praised him for trying to do his duties as a son. She said that she regularly feels pain in her legs, and whenever Ishan comes to Patna, he presses her legs like a physio.
- In 2023, there were rumours that Ishan Kishan was dating Shahneel Gill, Shubman Gill’s sister which later turned out to be fake. Many fans shared edited videos of Shahneel and Ishan and showed them as a couple.
- Due to his aggression and ability to hit big shots, he has earned the nickname ‘Pocket Dynamo’ and ‘Chota Dynamite’ from his fans. He is also fondly called ‘Definite’ due to his short height, which is based on the character of Definite Khan played by Zeishan Quadri in the Bollywood film Gangs of Wasseypur in 2012.
- He likes travelling to different cities and doing outdoor adventure activities such as driving speed boats during his leisure time.
- In December 2023, he appeared in an episode of the popular quiz show Kaun Banega Crorepati (KBC) with the Indian women cricketer Smriti Mandhana. During the episode, he reportedly asked Amitabh Bachchan to choose a title for his wife Jaya Bachchan out of Don, Sarkar, Khudagawah, and Shehenshah which went quite viral on social media. He also revealed an incident during his early days of international cricket when he ate Wasabi (which is pungent and hot) thinking it was mint chutney.
A cute banter between Ishan Kishan and Amitabh Bachchan.pic.twitter.com/f2GRbbxwqG
— Mufaddal Vohra (@mufaddal_vohra) December 28, 2023
- Apart from cricket, he plays badminton and football and does cycling in his free time.
- Ishan is very popular on social media. As of January 2024, he has 6 million followers on Instagram Instagram – Ishan Kishan, around 4 million followers on Facebook Facebook – Ishan Kishan, and 1 million followers on Twitter. Twitter – Ishan Kishan
- He is a dog lover and owns two dogs named Bob and Tesla.
- He owns a company named Ishan Kishan Ventures LLP. Zauba Corp He also launched a clothing brand in 2021 named IK Clothing. Amazon