Manasi Sudhir is an Indian actress who predominantly works in the Kannada film industry. She is also a professional Bharatanatyam dancer. Manasi is better known for playing the role of the lead’s mother, Kamala, in the Kannada action-thriller film ‘Kantara’ (2022), directed by Rishab Shetty.
Manasi Sudhir was born in Udupi, Karnataka. She did her schooling at T. A. Pai English Medium High School in Udupi and graduated from Government First Grade College, Thenkanidiyuru, Karnataka. She then pursued a master’s degree in English Literature at Poorna Prajna College, Udupi.
Height (approx.): 5′ 10″
Weight (approx.): 60kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Figure Measurements (approx.): 34-32-34
Parents & Siblings
Her father, Muraleedhara Upadhya, is a retired Kannada professor. According to Manasi, her father is into literature and encouraged her to pursue performing arts alongside her studies. Manasi’s mother’s name is Sharada Upadhya.
Her sister, Alaka Jithendra, is a yoga instructor and a writer.
Wife & Children
On 12 June 2006, Manasi got married to Sudhir Rao Kodavoor, who is a dance teacher at Nrityaniketana Kodavoor, a Bharatanatyam institution in Udupi, Karnataka. Manasi and her husband are both co-directors of this institution. Together, they have a daughter named Surabhiputti.
When Manasi was studying in college, she was offered to work in a Kannada film titled Ramya Chaitrakala (2006), which was directed by director Sunil Kumar Desai. In an interview, while talking about her journey as an actor, Manasi said,
It was a small part, which I accepted out of sheer curiosity. Once Desai saw me act, he immediately offered me the role of the second lead in the film.”
In 2009, Manasi appeared in the Kannada film Shankara Punyakoti. Later, she appeared in many Indian Kannada-language films including Ammana Mane (2019) and Katha Sangama (2019). In 2022, Manasi appeared in Rishab Shetty‘s critically acclaimed thriller film ‘Kantara.’ In this film, she played the role of the lead Kaadubettu Shiva’s mother, Kamala.
In 2011, she made her debut in the Tulu film industry with the award-winning film Kancheelda Bale.
In 2018, she appeared in a short film titled Neralu in which she played the lead role. The film received an award for best film at Bangalore International Short Film Festival (BISFF) in 2018.
Apart from films, Manasi has also appeared in television serials including Mahabharata, Guru Raghavendra Vaibhava (2010), Seethe (2014), and Preeti Emba Maaye (2020). In the Indian Kannada-language TV series ‘Seethe,’ she played the role of Mohini Bhasmasura. The show aired on Udaya TV.
- Manasi’s father is friends with a well-known Kannada poet, Jayant Kaikini. He once asked Manasi to sing at a programme in Mangaluru. Jayant Kaikini also suggested to Manasi’s father that he should let her act in films as he felt that she had an expressive face and voice. Later, she became a trained artist and performed in Carnatic vocal concerts.
- Apart from acting, Manasi made a career in singing also; however, due to a minor accident, her vocal cords got damaged following which she had to give it up.
- Manasi and her husband run a dance institution, Nrithya Nikithana Kodavoor, in Udipi. On 29 March 2021, Manasi and the other members of the institution performed Nritya Saurabh in Byndoor.
- When Manasi is not working on any film, she travels with her dance troupe presenting her choreographies in several theatre shows and events.
- Manasi is a pet lover and her favourite animal is a cat.
- On 13 June 2011, Manasi created a YouTube channel where she uploads videos of her singing. She has more than 150k subscribers.