Remo D’Souza is an Indian dancer, actor, choreographer, and film director. He is best known for directing India’s first 3D dance movie ” ABCD – AnyBody Can Dance (2013). ”
Remo D’Souza was born as Ramesh Gopi on 2 April 1972 (age 48 years; as of 2020) in Bengaluru. His Zodiac sign is Aries. He did his schooling at Air Force School, Jamnagar, Gujarat.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Weight (approx.): 60 kg
Eye Colour: Brown
Hair Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Wife
He was born into a Hindu family, but he later converted to Christianity. His father, K. Gopi is a chief in the Indian Air Force and Madhvi Laxmi, a homemaker.
He has an elder brother named Ganesh Gopi, and four sisters. One of his sister’s name is Devaki Kurup.
He is married to Lizelle, who is an Anglo-Indian and works as a costume designer.
The couple has two sons Dhruv and Gabriel.
He started his career as a backup dancer in film Rangeela (1995).
He got his first break in the movie “Dil Pe Mat Le Yaar!! (2000).” He choreographed an item number called “Ishq Samundar” from the film Kaante (2000), which became the turning point of his career.
In 2009, he judged the dance reality show “Dance India Dance (DID)” and has judged many dance shows since then. He made his directorial debut with the movie “F.A.L.T.U.”
He has made India’s first 3D dance movie “ABCD – AnyBody Can Dance (2013).”
He made his first acting debut with the movie “Aflatoon (1997)” as main lead’s friend.
There were rumours about Salman Khan and Remo having a fight. Reportedly, Salman was offended by Remo’s comments on the failure of Race 3. Earlier, in an interview, Remo had talked about how he felt that as a director he should have initiated more on the film. Some reports say that he had talked about Salman Khan serving as a ‘Ghost Director’ of the movie. However, Remo cut-off the rumours saying that his words have been misinterpreted and there was nothing like Salman Khan directing him. He added that Salman listened to him and he was very precious to him for being the actor to give him the biggest break of his life.
- National Award for the Best Choreography for the song “Deewani Mastani” of the film “Bajirao Mastani” in 2016
- Filmfare Award for the Best Choreography for the song “Deewani Mastani” of the film “Bajirao Mastani” in 2016
- Actress: Madhuri Dixit
- Dancer: Michael Jackson
- Colour: Black
- After completing his schooling in Gujarat, he moved to Mumbai to find scope in dancing and opened dancing classes called ‘Super Brats’ at Churni Road.
- He lived in Bandra Station, Mumbai during his days of struggle.
- He never received any formal training in dance but idolised Michael Jackson.
- The first video of Michael Jackson he saw was of the song ‘Thriller.’
- His first performance was in M. P. Shah Auditorium Townhall, Jamnagar.
- In his school days, he was good at the sprint, shot put, karate, and basketball.
- When he was in class 9, he became friends with some hooligans. There were ongoing murders at that time. During the police investigation, it was found out that he had accompanied the hooligans. The police entered his house for the first time. He says that it was the first incident that changed the course of his life and made him reflect on his life.
- He came to Mumbai when some fraudsters gave him an offer to be an actor. He convinced his family and came to Mumbai with an amount of ₹2600. The fraudsters took all the money he had and asked him to come next week. When he went there a week later, the office had gone.
- On 11 December 2020, he suffered a heart attack and was admitted to Mumbai’s Kokilaben hospital. Hindustan Times
References [ + ]