Shipra Khanna is an Indian Celebrity chef from Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, who is also an author, TV Host, Food Consultant, Content Creator, Food Critic, and Social Communicator. Shipra is famous for winning MasterChef India, season 2, which was telecasted on popular Indian television channel Star Plus in 2010, and where she earned the tag of the “Youngest Female Celebrity Chef in India.”
Shipra Khanna was born on Wednesday, 18 November 1981 (age 39 Years; as of 2020) in Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, India. The National News Her zodiac sign is Scorpio. She did her schooling at Loreto Convent School in Upper Kaithu, Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, India. She did her graduation in Economics and Psychology at St Bede’s College Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, India
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Her father, Balween Khanna runs a jewelry shop in Shimla. Her mother’s name is Radha Khanna. She has a brother, Akshay Khanna, who runs a jewelry shop with his father in Shimla.
Husband & Children
Shipra was married at a very young age. Reportedly, after marriage, she fell prey to dowry abuse in the hands of her husband and in-laws. She got the divorce when she was 19 years old. Shipra struggled and fought for the custody of her kids. Shipra has two children, a daughter named Yadavi Khattar (Younger), and a son named Himannk Khattar (Elder). The National News
As a celebrity chef, Shipra Khanna has judged many popular Indian Food TV shows soon after winning the MasterChef India, season 2 in 2010. These shows include ‘Pure Sin with Shipra Khanna’ on Food Food and on the same channel, ‘K for Kids.’ In Britannia Star Chef with Saif Ali Khan, Shipra appeared as a celebrity chef. Around the same time, she has hosted many Indian food TV shows and international Food TV programs including Flavors of Ramadan Season 3 on Star Plus, UAE, and Good Food Guide Season 2 on Star Plus, UAE.
Shipra started her first venture in Gujarat and named it “H.O.T – House of Taste” in 2013. She opened her second hotel named “The Darzi Bar & Kitchen in New Delhi in 2017. The book ‘Sinfully yours,’ written by Shipra Khanna, won the ‘Best TV celebrity Cookbook’ in 2007 at the World Gourmand Awards in China; Shipra, as a cookbook writer, was regarded as the first Indian chef to win this award.
Making a mark in a male-dominated industry, of course! However, I truly believe that the odds are not skewed against women today as was the case a few years back. Earlier, you had one Tarla Dalal for a hundred Sanjeev Kapoors. Today, women are more determined and clear about the kind of goals they want to achieve. That is a good thing, definitely.”
Travel giant Yatra tied up to work with Shipra in 2017 to train the chefs in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. She looked excited to collaborate with more restaurants for drafting an exciting menu for the tourists. She said-
You have fresh produce and exciting ingredients in the Andamans, but sadly they were not being put to great use. I am trying to collaborate with restaurants there to compile an exciting menu for tourists…an even better reason you have to visit this undiscovered gem of a place!”
Shipra Khanna inaugurated the first tandoor in Paris in 2017, where she practically demonstrated the four-course use of tandoor.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- 2014: ‘Culinary Connoisseur’ by Australia Tourism and Cox and Kings
- 2017: “Women Chef taking taste beyond borders” by SAARCS Chamber Women Entrepreneurs Council (SCWEC)
- 2017: “Best Television Chef Book Outside Europe” for the book ‘Sinfully yours’ by Gourmand World Cookbook Awards
- 2017: ‘The Culinary Ambassador to Spain,” by the Spanish Ambassador to India
- Food: Mille-feuille (French cuisine), French gourmet food, French croissants, Indian tandoori or English–bread
- Chef(s): Sanjeev Kapoor, Kunal Kapur, and Vikas Khanna
- Food Destination(s): New York, London, Australia
- Shipra’s cooking style is Indian Cuisine.
- Doing Yoga & meditation, and traveling are Shipra’s hobbies.
- Shipra Khanna is an Indian street food lover.
- In the finale of MasterChef India, season 2, in 2010, Shipra, along with the last two finalists, had to prepare dishes for 100 people present at the show who voted for Shipra to announce her as the winner.
- Shipra Khanna loves to enjoy wine occasionally.
- After Shipra’s marriage broke down when she was 19 years old, she joined cooking classes as one of her stress-busters, and it eventually became her passion, and it motivated her to participate in MasterChef India 2010.
- According to Shipra, her mother was her biggest inspiration in winning MasterChef India Season 2.
- Shipra loves to do photography in her leisure time.
- Ms. Khanna donated a part of her winning amount from MasterChef India Season 2 to the special children studying in a local school in Shimla, Himachal Pradesh.
- As the winner of MasterChef India Season 2′ in 2010, Shipra earned a contract to host an Indian cooking reality show on television along with the sum of Rs. 1 crore. She also earned vacation tickets for three nights and four days in London as a complimentary reward.
- Shipra considers New York, London, and Australia her favourite food destinations. She said in an interview that these places were the major food hubs. She said,
New York and London. These are the major food hubs and you’ll find anything you think of eating. Australia is the next food destination.”
- Shipra also loves to cook for her pet dogs.
- Shipra revealed her favorite food and drinks in an interview. She said-
I love wine and Australia has its own wine and cheese, which is different from French, South American and South African wines. I am looking forward to tasting authentic wine in the Australian wineries. I’m also looking forward to tasting Australian ice-creams since they are known for their dairy products. Every place has their own stamp on foods that we’re familiar with. I can’t wait to try their burgers and steaks, which will be very different from the Americans. Their seafood is outstanding as well–lobsters, crab–and I’m eager to try it.”
- Shipra’s mentors are Chef Ajay Chopra and Chef Kunal Kapur.
- Shipra believes that cooking is art so as the architecture. Shipra Khanna is an admirer of architectural marvels.
- Shipra often participates in tree plantation drives in India.
- Shipra loves traveling, and to express and boost her talent and skills in Indian cuisine, she often tours globally.
- Apart from being a celebrity chef, Shipra Khanna is also known for her beauty and sense of style, and she has often walked down the runway for various fashion designers.
- Shipra actively practices yoga and meditation in the comfort of her own home. She frequently posts her yoga postures on her social media accounts.
- Since her teenage, Shipra was passionate about bikes. She often posts her pictures of riding bikes on various social media platforms.
- Shipra has appeared as a judge in various Indian and International beauty and fashion shows including “The Miss Russian LA” pageant in 2019.
- Shipra actively participates in live sessions and discussion shows on her social media platforms.
- Hiking, pleasure boating, and scuba diving are among Shipra’s favorite recreational pursuits.
- Many renowned Indian magazines and tabloids have highlighted Shipra Khanna on their cover page as a celebrity Chef.
- Shipra often promotes various food brands through her various social media platforms.
- ‘The Long bar’ at Raffles, Singapore invited Shipra Khanna for its 100-year celebration in 2015.
- Shipra received a gift from Nature’s Basket, a wine bottle on which her picture was engraved, on International Women’s Day in 2015.
- Madhya Pradesh tourism was actively promoted by Shipra in 2015.
- “Indonesian Gastro Diplomacy,” a live event in Mumbai, was attended by Shipra Khanna in 2021.
- Shipra often attends various workshops and training related to variations in cooking food in order to revise her cooking expertise.