Azhar Iqbal is an Indian poet and storyteller. He is known for reciting poetries and shayaris in various kavi sammelans and mushairas. In 2023, he appeared in the Sony TV comedy show ‘The Kapil Sharma Show’ along with a few other poets and lyricists.
Azhar Iqbal was born on Tuesday, 28 November 1978 (age 44 years; as of 2022) in Budhana, Uttar Pradesh. Later, he moved to Meerut, Uttar Pradesh. His zodiac sign is Sagittarius.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Hair Colour: Salt & Pepper
Eye Colour: Brown
Parents & Siblings
His father has passed away. His mother’s name is Nazma Farid. He has four brothers named Tabish Fareed (reporter at Inquilab), Haider Fareed, Kokab Farid (president at NGO Harfkaar), and Qazi Nadeem Ahmad.
Wife & Children
On 7 February 2009, he got married to Syeda Masooma. The couple has a son named Abdullah Kashani and a daughter named Zahra Azhar; both are poets.
The famous Indian actor Nawazuddin Siddiqui is his maternal uncle.
Azhar has been working as a poet, storyteller, and scriptwriter for many years. He has recited shayaris at various events like Jashn-E-Rekhta, Jashn-E-Bahaar, and Shankar Shaad Mushaira.
He has also participated in various kavi sammelans.
Azhar has appeared in a few episodes of the SAB TV poetry show ‘Wah! Wah! Kya Baat Hai!’
He has penned various popular ghazlas which include:
- Ghutan si hone lagi uske pas jate hue
- Ye bar-e-gham bhi uthaya nahin bahut din se
- Gulab chandni-raaton pe war aae hum
- Teri samt jaane ka rasta nahin ho raha
- Dil ki gali mein chand nikalta rahta hai
- Kahin abir ki khushbu kahin gulal ka rang
In 2015, he started Harfkaar Foundation to promote theatre, poetry and other art forms. He has also worked as a scriptwriter in various Hindi and Urdu theatre plays.
On 10 October 2022, he started his self-titled YouTube channel on which he uploads his poetry and shayari videos.
On 2 June 2009, he started working at a private firm Satin Creditcare Network Ltd as an assistant manager of internal audit in Noida India. In February 2014, he was promoted there as manager of operations.
- Poet: Faiz Ahmad Faiz
- Lyricist: Javed Akhtar
- Ghazal: Hamare Jaise Koi Dusra Hua Bhi Nhi by Samih al-Qasim
- Film: Lamhe (1991)
- Comedian: Charlie Chaplin
- Cities: Delhi, Lahore
- Quote: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest by Elie Wiesel
- Social Media App: Facebook
- In his teens, he wanted to become a lyricist and actor in Bollywood. However, his parents refused him to go to Mumbai to pursue his career in Bollywood.
- He is fluent in various languages like Hindi, Urdu, and English.
- Azhar is often spotted smoking hukkas and cigarettes.
- He is an avid animal lover and often shares pictures with various animals on his social media accounts.
- In his leisure time, he loves to travel and spend time with his family and friends.
- For his work, he has been honoured at various events.