Rama Rajamouli is an Indian film costume designer and wardrobe stylist who predominantly designs costumes for Telugu films. She is the wife of the well-known Indian film director and screenwriter S. S. Rajamouli.
Rama Rajamouli was born on Tuesday, 15 July 1969 (age 53 years; as of 2022) in Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India (now Telangana, India). Her zodiac sign is Cancer.
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Family & Caste
Rama Rajamouli is a Kamma.
Parents & Siblings
There is not much information about her parents. She has an elder sister, M. M. Srivalli, a film line producer, who is married to Indian singer, composer, and lyricist M. M. Keeravani.
Husband & Children
Rama Rajamouli is married twice. There is not much information about his first husband. Together, the couple has a son, S. S. Karthikeya, who is a businessman. In addition to it, Karthikeya also assisted his stepfather S. S. Rajamouli in directing films. In 2000, Rama divorced her first husband. Reportedly, during the divorce proceedings, S. S. Rajamouli supported Rama in every possible way following which they developed feelings for each other, and eventually, in 2001, Rama got married to S. S. Rajamaouli in court. Together, they adopted a girl named S. S. Mayookha.
Rama’s son, Karthikeya is married to Pooja Prasad, a singer, who is the niece of Telugu actor Jagapathi Babu.
Rama’s father-in-law, V. Vijayendra Prasad, is a screenwriter and film director. Her mother-in-law, Raja Nandini, was a homemaker, who passed away on 20 October 2012.
In 2001, Rama made her debut as a costume designer with the film Student No: 1. Later, she designed costumes for a few films like Simhadri (2003), Sye (2004), Chatrapathi (2005), Vikramarkudu (2006), Yamadonga (2007), Magadheera (2009), Maryada Ramanna (2010), and Eega (2012). Rama shot to fame when her designed costumes were immensely appreciated in the pan-India film Baahubali: The Beginning (2015) and its 2017 sequel Baahubali 2: The Conclusion. In 2016, Rama was nominated for the Best Costume Design Award for the film Baahubali: The Beginning at the 42nd Saturn Awards, and in 2018, she was nominated for the Best Costume Design Award at the 12th Asian Film Awards for the film Baahubali 2: The Conclusion.
In 2022, she received massive acclaim for her costume designs in the epic action drama film RRR.
In 2001, Rama made her television debut with the Telugu sitcom Amrutham in which she played a news presenter on Gemini TV.
- 2008: Best Costume Designer Award for the film Yamadonga at the Nandi Awards
- 2009: Best Costume Designer Award for the film Magadheera at the Nandi Awards
- 2016: Best Costume Designer Award for the film Baahubali: The Beginning at the Ananda Vikatan Cinema Award
- 2017: Best Costume Designer Award for the film Baahubali: The Beginning at the Nandi Awards
- Rama never aspired to pursue a career as a costume designer. It was S. S. Rajamouli, who encouraged her to join the film industry as a designer and stylist. Reportedly, in the early 2000s, S. S. Rajamouli was not content with the designs presented by his costume designer. Being in a dilemma, Rajamouli was unable to express what kind of designs he wanted exactly. However, his wife Rama came to his rescue and suggested to him a few ideas for the costumes, and consequently, S. S. Rajamouli hired her for the upcoming films as a costume designer.
- In an interview, Rama talked about the film Yamadonga (2007), directed by her husband S. S. Rajamouli and revealed that she didn’t like the film and stated that the film was successful only because it had a star-studded cast like N. T. Rama Rao Jr and Priyamani. Asianet News
- Rama’s daughter, Mayookha made a brief appearance in the song titled ‘Sahore’ from the film Baahubali: The Beginning (2015).
- In an interview, Rama talked about her inspiration behind designing clothes for the characters of the film Baahubali: The Beginning (2015) and said,
While designing their clothes and jewellery, we were also inspired a great deal with the looks of historical and mythological characters in Amar Chitra Katha comics and the Chandamama stories.”
- In 2015, Rama inaugurated the boutique “Fuchsia Pink Fabrics Attire” in Hyderabad, which is owned by Sadhya Rao, a well-known fashion designer.
- In December 2022, the American digital and print magazine The Hollywood Reporter published an article highlighting and applauding the efforts of Rama and her team in designing the costumes for the epic period drama film RRR. The Hollywood Reporter
- Apart from working as a costume designer for the film RRR, Rama worked as an additional dialogue writer for the film.
- As of 2023, all of Rama’s films in which she worked as a costume designer have been directed by her husband, S. S. Rajamouli. In an interview, S. S. Rajamouli talked about his wife’s support in making films and said,
If Rama was not by my side I don’t think I could have made these many films.”
- Rama gained international recognition for designing the costumes of the song “Naatu Naatu” from the Telugu period action film RRR (2022); the song won the Best Original Song Award at the Academy Awards in March 2023.