Reita Faria is an Indian model. She had won the title of Miss World 1996. She is best known for being the first Asian woman to be crowned with the title of Miss World.
Reita Faria was born on Monday, 23 August 1943 (age 77 years; as of 2020) in Bombay (now Mumbai) in British India. Her zodiac sign is Virgo. Rieta Faria did her schooling at St. Joseph’s Convent School, Panchgani, Mumbai. She completed her M.B.B.S Degree from Grant Medical College & Sir J.J. Group of Hospitals, Mumbai. She went to King’s College Hospital, London for doing medical practices. She is a physician by profession.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Hair Colour: Dark Brown
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Reita Faria was born to a catholic family who resided in Bombay. She was brought up in a middle-class family. Her father was a worker at a mineral water factory and her mother owned a beauty salon in Marine Lines. Reita had one elder sister named Philomena.
Relationships, Husband & Children
Reita Faria is married to David Powell. He was a junior doctor who lived in Dublin, Republic of Ireland. Reita and David, both were doing their medical practices in London and fell in love with each other. Reita and David moved to Boston after getting married.
Reita Faria and David Powell have two daughters, Deirdre, and Ann Marie. After the birth of her daughters, she decided to give up her job and take care of her daughters. Reita and David Powell have five grandchildren Patrick, Cormac, David, Maria, and Johnny.
Reita Faria started her career in modeling with unexpected participation in Miss Bombay 1966 contest. Her win at Miss Bombay 1966 contest boosted her confidence and she participated in the Eve’s Weekly Miss India 1966. After winning both the titles she was selected to represent India at Miss World 1966 beauty pageant. Unlike today’s world, where designers are hired for every event for the contest, Reita Faria went to the Miss World pageant with a few lipsticks, a borrowed saree from acquaintances, and a pair of footwear from a friend. Even after the availability of minimum resources she was able to win the title of “Miss World 1966” and created a history for the world. She became the first-ever Asian woman to win the title of Miss World pageant.
Along with the Miss World 1966 title, she also won the titles of “Best Swimsuit” and “Best Eveningwear” during the contests at the pageant. She wore a traditional saree for the evening wear contest to represent the authenticity of India.
Being the brand ambassador for the Miss World foundation, Reita Faria had to visit different countries for various social causes. But her visit to Vietnam with actor and comedian Bob Hope created headlines for the newspapers. They went there to meet American troops to cheer them up during the time of the Vietnam War. The controversy arose when a picture of Reita Faria signing an American soldier’s caps went viral. The matter was even discussed in the Indian Parliament as the Indian government was supporting the Communist Party in North Vietnam. Reita also received threats that her Visa and Passport would be confiscated, after which she had to return back to India.
- Reita Faria is a physician by profession.
- Reita was initially not impressed with the idea of participating in beauty pageants however her sister, Philomena insisted her to participate in the event.
- Reita Faria was a very determined student who wished to become a doctor since childhood. Along with her medical studies, she was always very cautious about her looks. She always dressed up in a chic and impressive manner.
- She, with her husband, moved to Boston after their marriage.
- After completing the tenure of Miss World, Reita Faria was offered many big Bollywood and modeling projects but she denied doing any and continued with her studies for becoming a doctor.
- Reita was one of the judges at Miss World 1976 held in London and many other contests during different rounds. Femina Miss India 1998 also had Reita Faria as one of their judges.
- Beauty pageants were not much known to people at the time when Reita won the title of Miss World 1966 but still she received huge appreciation for her win at the pageant by the people of her country.