Payal Rohatgi is an Indian actress. She is known for making controversial remarks on several issues which has led to FIRs on her over multiple occasions.
Payal Rohatgi was born on Saturday, 9 November 1985 (age 36 years; as of 2021) in Hyderabad. Her zodiac sign is Scorpio.
She did her schooling from Ahmedabad’s Udgam School and Trinity English School.
After completing her schooling, Payal went to Lalbhai Dalpatbhai College of Engineering to pursue B.Tech. in Computer. She was good at sports in her childhood and won many sports competitions in her school and college days. In 2000, she participated in Femina Miss India beauty pageant along with Priyanka Chopra, Lara Dutta, and Dia Mirza. Subsequently, she represented India in Miss Tourism World pageant and was crowned “Supermodel Miss Tourism World” in 2001.
Height (approx.): 5’ 5”
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Brown
Payal Rohatgi belongs to a Hindu Family.
Parents & Siblings
Her father, Shashank Rohatgi is a former chemical engineer. Her mother, Veena Rohatgi is a former supervisor teacher. She has a brother, Gaurav Rohatgi, who is an Electronics Engineer.
On 9 July 2022, Payal Rohtangi got married to her long-time boyfriend and fiance Indian wrestler Sangram Singh at Jaypee Palace Hotel & Convention Centre, Agra. The couple got engaged to each other on 27 February 2014 in Ahmedabad.
Payal Rohatgi started her career as a model in 2001 by modelling for popular brands like “Amul,” “Nescafe,” “Nirma,” “Jaguar Bath Panel,” and “Dabur Hair Oil.” She came into the spotlight after featuring in the TV commercial of Cadbury’s Temptations Chocolates. Next, she appeared in some music videos of Silk Route, Rock Band, and Indipop artist KK (Krishnakumar Kunnath).
In 2002, Payal made her acting debut with the Bollywood film “Yeh Kya Ho Raha Hai?” in which she played the role of ‘Esha.’ Subsequently, she appeared in films like “Plan,” “Rakht,” and “36 China Town.” In 2006, she featured in an item song in the Bollywood film “Corporate.” She made her theatre debut in 2010 with Vandana Sajnani’s play “Fourplay.”
She has appeared in many reality Tv shows like “Bigg Boss Season 2,” “Raaz Pichhle Janam Ka,” “Zor Ka Jhatka: Total Wipeout,” and “Survivor India.” In 2015, she appeared in the dance reality show “Nach Baliye Season 7” along with her fiance, Sangram Singh. In 2013, she won the reality TV show “Welcome – Baazi Mehmaan Nawazi Ki.”
She has also appeared in many TV serials like Hum Ne Li Hai-Shapath, Humsafars, and Suryaputra Karn. In 2014, she became a part of the National Anthem which was shot by director Rajeev Walia.
- Payal often shares fake news and vague theories through her Twitter account. In 2019, her Twitter account was blocked for a week for “communalising” the 2019 Hyderabad gang rape. However, the Mumbai police later rectified it when Payal informed about the matter to the Chief Minister’s wife, Amruta Fadnavis, who voiced support for her.
- Payal attracted controversy for sharing her view on Kerala deluge. She said that the floods were a result of God’s wrath over the fact that the state has not banned cow slaughter.
- Payal slammed Zaira Wasim when she announced her exit from the industry. She posted malicious content and prompted enmity between different religious groups for which a complaint was registered against her at the Oshiwara police station.
- In 2019, she landed into controversy for calling celebrities like Ameesha Patel, Koena Mitra, Rashami Desai, and Sidharth Shukla jobless. She even called herself ‘jobless.’
- Rohatgi also tagged the 19th-century social reformer Raja Ram Mohan Roy as a traitor and accused him of defaming the tradition of ‘Sati.’ Later, the secretary of Raja Rammohun Roy Memorial Museum said that Payal seems to know nothing about him.
- In June 2019, Payal claimed that the Maratha ruler Shivaji was born in Shudra Varna and later moved up in caste hierarchy. However, when the NCP leader Jitendra Awhad filed a complaint against her, Payal issued a video apology over Twitter.
- In October 2019, Payal posted a video on facebook in which she alleged that Jawaharlal Nehru (First Prime Minister of India) was not the legitimate child of Motilal Nehru but was born out of an illicit relationship of Kamla Nehru with another man. She also claimed that Motilal Nehru had 5 wives. The youth Congress leader filled a complaint against her following which she was detained in Rajasthan by the Bundi police on 15 December 2019.
- Shiv Rajmudra Chatrapati Award for “Best Reality TV Personality” (2012)
- 3rd Dehradun International Film Festival Award for “Best Reality TV Personality” (2017)
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Actor: Shah Rukh Khan
- Colour: White, Pink
- Travel Destination: Maldives
- Her hobbies include dancing and doing Yoga.
- She is an ardent follower of Shirdi Sai Baba.
- Payal is a fitness enthusiast and follows a strict workout regimen.
- Payal has worked in different languages including Hindi, English, and Telugu.
- She is a trained Kathak dancer. She has received her training from Pandit ViruKrishna.
- Rohatgi is the brand ambassador of the International Human Rights Organisation (IHRO), a Delhi-based NGO.
- Payal revealed in an interview that her fiance Sangram was more close to her family then she was; as he was instrumental in reuniting Payal’s parents after 16 years. Her parents earlier got separated due to some difference in opinions.
- In 2012, Payal alleged that she was sexually harassed by the directors Dibakar Banerjee and Anurag Kashyap.