Rashami Desai is an Indian actress, model, and dancer, who is best known for playing the role of ‘Tapasya Raghuvendra Pratap Rathore’ in the TV serial “Uttaran.” She has worked in many Bhojpuri and Hindi films.
Rashami Desai was born on Thursday, 13 February 1986 (age 33 years; as in 2019) in Nagaon, Assam. Her family has its roots in Gujarat. Her zodiac sign is Aquarius.
Rashami lost her father when she was too young. She did her schooling from Mumbai’s JB Khot Primary School and went to Narsee Monjee College of Commerce and Economics to pursue a diploma. While she was pursuing diploma, she received her first acting assignment.
Height (approx.): 5′ 3″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Husband
Rashami Desai belongs to a Gujarati Hindu Family. Her father’s name is Ajay Desai. Her mother, Rasila Desai, is a teacher. She has a younger brother, Gaurav Desai.
Rashami got married to her Uttaran co-star, Nandish Sandhu on 12 February 2012 in Dholpur. In 2013, Rashami got pregnant but unfortunately suffered from a miscarriage. The couple parted ways in 2014 and got divorced in 2015.
Rashami was rumoured to be in a relationship with her Adhuri Kahaani Hamari co-actor, Laksh Lalwani.
Rashami was also linked up with her Dil Se Dil Tak co-star, Siddharth Shukla.
She is alleged to be dating the diamond merchant-turned-actor, Arhaan Khan.
Rashami Desai started her acting career in 2002 by playing a cameo in the Assamese film “Kanyadaan.” Next, she played the role of ‘Sheetal’ in the Hindi film “Yeh Lamhe Judaai Ke.” Subsequently, she appeared in ‘B Grade’ Bhojpuri films like “Balma Bada Naadan,” “Gazab Bhail Rama,” “Gabbar Singh,” “Kangna Khanke Piya Ke Angna,” “Pappu Ke Pyar Ho Gail,” and “Tohse Pyar Ba.” In 2012, Rashami made a special appearance in the Bollywood film “Dabangg 2.” She made her Gujarati Film debut in 2017, with the film “Superstar” in which she played the role of ‘Anjali Kapadia.’
Rashami made her television debut in 2006 with the TV serial “Raavan” in which she played the role of ‘Mandodari.’ Subsequently, she bagged the lead role in Star One’s TV serial “Pari Hoon Main.”
In 2009, Rashami portrayed the negative role of ‘Tapasya Raghuvendra Pratap Rathore’ in the popular television soap opera, “Uttaran” and gained huge popularity.
In 2015, Rashami, along with her then-husband Nandish Sandhu, participated in the dance reality show “Nach Baliye 7.”
She has featured in many reality shows including “Comedy Circus,” “Maha Sangram,” “Zara Nachke Dikha,” “Crime Patrol,” “Big Money,” “Kitchen Champion Season 2,” “Comedy Ka Maha Muqabala,” and “Jhalak Dikhhla Ja.”
She has also appeared in the TV serials “Ishq Ka Rang Safed,” “Adhuri Kahaani Hamari,” and “Dil Se Dil Tak.”
In 2019, Rashami participated in the game reality show “Bigg Boss 13.” Click here to check the complete list of Bigg Boss 13 contestants.
- Rashami attracted controversy for her spoiled relationship with her then-husband, Nandish Sandhu. She told in an interview that Sandhu had disrespected her and had abused her for 3 years.
- Rashami accused the website, India Forums, of creating rumours that pinpointed her and portraying a negative image of her in the public. During an interview, she stated,
You know there’s a website called India Forums. They’ve been handling Nandish’s PR and I don’t have a problem but they’ve been giving one-sided stories from Nandish’s end. I’ve never felt the need to explain myself or my relationship to anyone – but there are all sorts of rumours that pinpoint me and claim that Nandish is completely innocent.”
- During her journey in Nach Baliye 7, Rashami revealed that she had suffered a miscarriage. However, her husband, in an interview, told that Rashmi had never conceived. He said,
We were clear about planning a baby after we were professionally settled. Our career was our focus. So where is the question of a miscarriage? I never wanted to embarrass her on national television by questioning her on that.”
- Rashami revealed in Nach Baliye 7 that she had undergone cosmetic surgery. However, later, her then-husband, Nandish Sandhu, cleared that she got confused between cosmetic treatment and surgery.
Awards won for the TV serial “Uttaran”
- Indian Television Academy Award for Best Actress in Negative Role Popular (2010)
- Indian Telly Award for Most Popular Negative Actor Female (2010)
- Boroplus Gold Award for Best Actress in Negative Role (2010)
- BIG Star Entertainment Award for Best Television Actor Female (2010)
- Boroplus Gold Award for Best Actress in Negative Role (2011)
- Apsara Award for Best Negative Actress (2011)
- BIG Television Award for BIG Namkeen Character Female Fiction (2011)
Awards won for the TV serial “Dil Se Dil Tak”
- Colors Golden Petal Award for Best Onscreen Jodi with Siddharth Shukla (2017)
In 2014, Rashami used to get paid around Rs. 55,000/episode for the role of Tapasya in Uttaran.
- Food: Pizza
- Beverage: Coffee
- Films: Mother India (1957), Andaz Apna Apna 1994), Hum Saath Saath Hain (1999)
- Colour: White
- Politician: Narendra Modi
- Her hobbies include dancing, driving, travelling, swimming, and watching news channels.
- She is a trained classical dancer and has learned Bharatanatyam and Kathak for years.
- Rashami loves listening to the Shastriya Sangeet (Indian Classical Music) in her leisure time.
- She is often spotted drinking alcohol on various occasions.
- Her real name is Divya Desai. In 2008, she adopted the name Rashami as the producers of her show “Pari Hoon Main” suggested that her name ‘Divya’ was not working in favour of her and the show. Her mother, after consulting a numerologist finalised the name Rashami.
- Rashami Desai has got a ‘Lotus Flower’ inked on her right ankle.
- Desai is rumoured to be one of the highest-paid contestants on Bigg Boss 13. Reportedly, she will get paid a colossal amount of Rs. 1.2 crore (approx.) for her stay inside the house.
- Reportedly, she will tie the knot with her rumoured boyfriend, Arhaan Khan, inside the house of Bigg Boss 13. Her cousin and one of her friends are likely to witness the wedding inside the house.
- In 2019, Rashami revealed that she was suffering from psoriasis.
- She is fond of animals and has a pet dog, Oreo.
- Rashami considers her mother her inspiration.
- She is an ardent follower of Lord Ganesha.